Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Short Supply

It seems the K-01 is getting short in supply. I see a number of models are now marked discontinued on B&H. Locally the biggest retailers are sold out. I bought the last new K-01 body they had last weekend. It was my second. I am considering getting a third. I find they make great b-roll/alternate angle cameras for video at a very cheap price, $299, and I got lots of old pentax film lens that produce great results with the K-01.

03-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Get them while you can... they are good cameras. We will see if the next one in line follows the same design (not saying it's bad, it's just strongly styled).
03-18-2013, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #3

Stockpile...
03-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
Get them while you can... they are good cameras. We will see if the next one in line follows the same design (not saying it's bad, it's just strongly styled).
Do you really think they will try this again? Seems unlikely.

03-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by allknowingeye Quote
Do you really think they will try this again? Seems unlikely
I don't think this will be the end game design, ending with the Pentax K-01. There will most likely be another variation in one sort or another, but most likely much more traditionally styled. It's also interesting to see all of the other currently marketed Pentax cameras out there right now; having the K-01 priced not much more than the Pentax bridge camera, and also even having the K-01 less than some of the much more compact Pentax cameras. Ironically enough some of those more compact cameras do have some interesting color shade cover varations
03-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

I just picked up the last white one with the 40mm lens for $379 from B&H, ugh...I guess I was lucky, I'm super excited about this camera and I think it will compliment my upcoming K-5II very well

Last edited by Mario150; 04-12-2013 at 10:32 PM.
04-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Only the Yellow body one left at B&H unless you want a kit with two lens. None at all locally.

04-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Initially I wasn't going to buy a K-01. When the prices dropped at 399, I started looking. At 299, I thought it was a good deal, after all I paid the same price for my wonderful Q. But when the deal came out at 249, couldn't resist.

I always thought it was bit of a strange/ugly camera. I didn't get what people that had one were talking about when they were enthusiastic aabout their K-01. I now have it with me and I am so glad I pulled the trigger. I now get it! As an interim cam, while I am waiting for the next best thing from Pentax it is a perfect choice. Then who knows, I might even like it enough to resist buying the next generation (K-3 ?) of Pentax DSLRs and skip another cycle...
04-13-2013, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I don't think this will be the end game design, ending with the Pentax K-01. There will most likely be another variation in one sort or another, but most likely much more traditionally styled. It's also interesting to see all of the other currently marketed Pentax cameras out there right now; having the K-01 priced not much more than the Pentax bridge camera, and also even having the K-01 less than some of the much more compact Pentax cameras. Ironically enough some of those more compact cameras do have some interesting color shade cover varations
I think you are correct. The K-01 was a mirrorless live view camera based on the K-5 reference design. As APS sensors improve in function and quality, I suspect that this reverence design will continue.

The K-01 wss live view only via the LCD. It does not take much imagination to consider a varient with an integrated EVF. Whether it is styled by Mark Newson or not does not matter. If it is based on the K-5/K-30/K-01 it will be a superb camera.

I suspect that for the foreseeable future there will be APS sensor based Pentax cameras, both dSLRs and EVF based. There may be Ricoh variants (GXR KAF module?).

I think that there will also be 35mm FF cameras as well. My only concern is that the current Lens catalog does not list an FA lenses. If there is a FF coming, maybe there is a new series of FA lenses in development, but without aperture rings. That is the most optimistic reason for FA lenses not in the current catalog.
04-13-2013, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I also couldn't resist snagging a second one (black) at $249.99, just too good of a deal to pass up IMO.
04-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
The K-01 wss live view only via the LCD. It does not take much imagination to consider a varient with an integrated EVF. Whether it is styled by Mark Newson or not does not matter. If it is based on the K-5/K-30/K-01 it will be a superb camera.

I suspect that for the foreseeable future there will be APS sensor based Pentax cameras, both dSLRs and EVF based. There may be Ricoh variants (GXR KAF module?).
The K-01 II name makes more sense instead of K-02 in that regard, considering the K-01 was based on the K-5 and the next model is based on the K-5 II.

I've found I no longer want/need a KAF GXR module. The K-01 fills that role now, and at the bargain $300 firesale price likely a third of the cost I could ever get a GXR KAF unit for.
04-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
The K-01 II name makes more sense instead of K-02 in that regard, considering the K-01 was based on the K-5 and the next model is based on the K-5 II.

I've found I no longer want/need a KAF GXR module. The K-01 fills that role now, and at the bargain $300 firesale price likely a third of the cost I could ever get a GXR KAF unit for.
I have a Black K-01 now. It supplements the GXR and gives me a platform to use my two DA limited lenses (70 and 21). I prefer the ergonomics, menu system, and the EVF of the GXR. I have a K to Leica Mount adapter, but it does not have an aperture control ring. When the DA limited lenses are used on the GXR mount, they are fully stopped down. If I got the new Kipon DA to Leica M adapter or the Novoflex, I would have aperture control, but still no autofocus. While the Kipon is priced around $120, the Novoflex is about $300. It is much more cost effective to purchase the K-01 body (and I did).

Because of the issues of glare, i would really prefer an EVF. I also prefer an EVF since I have older eyes that no longer accommodate like they used to so the K-01 is difficult for me to hold.

With the K-01 discontinued, there is still a need for a high quality, more compact, alternative to the K-30 or K5. I think such a camera with an integrated EVF would be more compact and very usable. It would be a worth addition to the K-30 and K-5 and a fantastic followup to the K-01, classically or Mark Newson styled. A KAF module for the GXR would provide a similar solution.

Pure speculation, and remembering the initial suggestions about how Ricoh and Pentax would develop and market future cameras, suggests that the Pentax Brand will continue with dSLR designs like the K-30 and that Ricoh would produce high compact designs. The Ricoh brand might continue with mirrorless as well as compact cameras. The rumored GR (or GR5, or APS GR) might be the first such camera to be released. I can hope that future releases might include a new GXR body (with EVF), updated modules including a new Leica M mount module, KAF module, or new lens modules based on Pentax optics.

Consider a Limited 70mm, 43mm, 31mm, 21mm or 15mm module with leaf shutter. How compact could a module based on the 40mm XS be? If there was a Pentax KAF APS module, the 40mm XS mounted would be very compact and possibly have better ergonomics than the K-01 with the 40mm XS.

This is pure speculation. If the rumored GR with APS sensor is released with a fixed lens (28mm), maybe the future is not "lessors" or GXR modules, but carefully matched lenses and sensors in a compact body. The GRD model (or Sony RX1 model) but with Pentax Optics... 77mm? 43mm? 15mm?

I will fully admit, that this speculation fails when the Pentax MX-1 is considered. It just may be the last Hoya managed Pentax Project.
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Forum Member

The K-01 is still available as with a 18-55

The K-01 is still available as with a 18-55 lens for $295 not sure if they will post outside of Australia.
https://www.crkennedy.com.au/pentax/index.php?q=catalog/21:)
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No they don't post outside Aussie, don't worry I tried.
Meanwhile there is one black body with18-55 still in Wellington $499 our $