Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Computer fails to read SD card..

I have many pictures on a Lexar Professional 128gb card which I have used several times in the K7, K5 and I am using it now in the K-01 - shooting RAW. Before using the card in the K-01 I formatted it in the K-01.

I have put the card in the computer several times before to transfer files and for the first time the computer displayed a message "in order to use this card it first must be formatted".

After a few times of this I put the card back in the K-01, viewed all the images (they were all fine), then decided to take another shot, I viewed the image in the camera, then put the SD card back in the computer and now the computer sees the files (Windows 8). I just thought I would pass this info on in case it ever happens to someone else. I have FW 1.03 in K-01

JC

Last edited by jessecad; 03-19-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Missing text
03-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only time I experienced a similar problem my card reader was going bad. From what I will never know because I just use those 99 cent USB sized ones until they die and throw them away.
03-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Happens occasionally if the reader is a little sloppy. The card is just misaligned enough to not be recognized so the driver asks to format it. I have seen this several times, take the card out and re-insert and all is good. If it happens more than rarely I would be looking for a new reader though.
03-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

Usually it is card reader problem, buy a new card reader and test it. Hope this helps....

03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I had this happen with one card, and under close inspection found that the little plastic ridge between two of the contacts had split off. On my PC and laptop, the sliver of plastic would get pushed over and block the contact, but never with my camera. I trimmed off the sliver and have had no problems since.