Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Bell & Howell Z680AF-P, too, that I bought for and have used successfully with my K200D, but I can't get it to work with my K-01. I also get the no-flash or strobe effect.

The only way I can use it with the K-01 is in the slave mode with the on-camera flash. It reverts to manual that way, and the power ratio has to be reset for each shot, but at least it's usable, and the flexibility of an away-from-camera light source is handy.

04-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter

So, is there any resolution to this? I have the Bell & Howell flash and the K01 and would like to be able to use them together.
04-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #18
Forum Member

The only way I've found to use these flashes with the K-01 is in manual mode. You'll just have to work out the appropriate aperture and power setting for the distance to the object. Trouble is though, every time you cycle through the P-TTL mode while adjusting the power setting, you get the strobe effect. It's not ideal, but at least you can still get some use out of the flash.
04-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I'm wondering if the answer is to use the Pentax AF280T flash in auto mode.

04-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #20

730AFPK and K-01

QuoteOriginally posted by average-guy Quote
I'm glad I checked the forum, I've been meaning to call Pentax support over the same issue. My flash is a Promaster 7500EDF Digital, a Pentax dedicated P-TTL flash that works great on my older Pentax Dslr, but only fires at full power on the K-01. Just checked Promasters support page for that model of flash and on the spec's page it states "Flash upgradeable by your PROMASTER dealer", It's good to know my K-01 isn't broken.

Edit:
I just checked my backup P-TTL flash, a Vivitar 730AFPK (I hadn't used it in so long I forgot I even had it) and it works flawlessly with the K-01. I wished I had thought to do that 6 months ago.

Are you still happy with the 730AFPK on K-01? What mode do you set the camera and flash? From what I have been able to gather, 730AFPK is TTL and not P-TTL; and K-01 supports only P-TTL.

Thanks.
04-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I just went through all this today myself with my flashes. I was getting ready for a Father-Daughter dance tonight and wanted to do some multiple flash stuff with triggers and the K-01 (the kids at my daughters school LOVE my Yellow K-01 and the smiles make the pictures so much better). Got the same delayed fast strobe effect on camera and no firing at all with triggers that have worked with 3 Pentax dSLRs. My AF16 and AF400 both work in manual mode on the camera. The Z680-AF-P won't fire in manual mode on the camera. My new AF540 works perfectly with the K-01. Decidedly disappointed in the K-01, this is just another way in which it doesn't perform in a way one would expect for a Pentax camera with a hotshoe.
04-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
Forum Member

Just an update on the strobbing effect of my Rokinon D980AFZ-PZ and similar flashes when set to P-TTL mode and mounted on the K-01. I've got it to stop strobbing, but it still only works as a manual flash where you can adjust the power output manually. If you insulate one of the pins on the bottom of the flash so it's not making contact with the corresponding contact in the hot shoe, the flash doesn't strobe when mounted on the K-01. When looking at the flash's mount with the back of the flash toward you, the pin to insulate is the one in the upper left of the mount. The other three pins in a triangular array remain untouched. I used a small piece of Scotch brand Magic tape over the pin.

While the flash doesn't strobe any longer when set to P-TTL mode and mounted on the K-01, it doesn't work as a P-TTL flash either. It will fire, but at full power. So the flash still only works in manual mode on the K-01, but at least it doesn't strobe when you switch it on or while adjusting the power output when you cycle through the P-TTL setting.