Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Strange HDR artifact

While shooting the Spirit of Detroit today, I decided to try out the HDR function, and it seems to have amplified the chromatic aberration (if that's what the purple is) as well as the rest of the image. It's strange to me because it was not a sunny day, and I was facing east in the early afternoon. I like the way the gold pops, and I kind of like the purple, too because is appears to be peaking between the statue's fingers.

What do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by tdmsu; 03-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.
03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tdmsu Quote
What do you think?
Post the pic...
03-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Internet hiccup - thanks for the snark, though.
03-22-2013, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

That's just the Spirit of Detroit made visible! Looks pretty good, even if unintentional...

03-22-2013, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Ole
Administrator

Light from behind you hitting the gold, then reflecting through the fingers. Diffraction caused by the small opening between the fingers smears the effect.

Perhaps there also is a reflection from the sensor back to the lens's rear element and then back onto the sensor again. Hard to say.
03-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

looks like ghosting, i believe the sun was in the trees or not?
03-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Did you have a 'protection filter on? If so remove it and the effect will disappear or at least reduce.

Flare is caused by bright highlights internally reflecting within the lens, in this case probably originating from the bright gold statue. Normally these reflections bounce out of the lens and away, but the flat surface of a filter acts like a screen and reflects them strait back into the lens again (and again, and again) recording onto the sensor every time which makes any flare much more pronounced.

The clue is in the colour of the flare, blue is the reciprocal of yellow, which would be the original colour of the highlight if it came from the gold statue. The HDR processing would exaggerate this.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-23-2013 at 05:44 AM.
03-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
I did not have a filter on the lens, but light reflecting sounds good. The same artifact appears on another HDR of the same statue, so now I'm wondering more. I'll attach two photos from the same day, both HDR. One has the purple artifact, the other is a wider shot to show the weather conditions, and I don't see the purple on that one.

I have not noticed this artifact on non HDR shots, or on other subjects...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo