QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
One of my favorite videos

The Mirrorless Party - YouTube

Wait for the end...priceless!

Yep, the end was pretty good ... TFS ... J

03-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the zol entry was pretty well discredited in other rumor threads. I'm in agreement with those that say there won't be a successor. Maybe another mirrorless somewhere down the road, but it will probably be different enough that it won't be considered a 'successor'. (Is the K-30 a successor to the K20D? or the K200D? It's a midrange, not top tier, but the number is 30, not 300, blah blah blah.)

I was thinking about what if they sacrificed battery capacity to make the K-01 body a little thinner - they've done all they can unless there is a major change in the sensor chassis. If the body was flatter on the grip side, they could give you the ability to choose your own grip, like the old Super/Program/A or LX. The 'nose' would have to be longer to maintain register distance, of course.

If we start talking other sensors, something with PDAF on the chip would help a lot with AF performance.

Interesting that no one has mentioned EVF. I personally don't need one, but if they could add it as an option without making the body bigger, that would be one less thing to criticize, and Focus Peaking in the viewfinder sounds useful. Even as an option, it would push the price up, and require some real estate on the main board.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Bonus points if the plastic body shell gets replaced with brass.
You mean aluminum body shell, right?

Also, the #1 thing: Replace the rubber SD Card door with a hard door!
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
You mean aluminum body shell, right?
I meant the outside visible parts which are plastic, not the hidden inside skeleton. Basically use a design similar to the MX-1, with as little visible plastic as possible.
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #19

If they design the camera in-house (thus not having to pay the designer), go with a more traditional or even a retro design, and improve the small things that people complained about - I think Pentax would have a very successful K-02.

03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #20

I would buy the successor if they made it look similar to the recently released MX-1, improved the AF speed, added a tiltable screen and improved the sensor to match the current offerings. Until then, I'm content with the K-01 original.
03-26-2013, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I meant the outside visible parts which are plastic, not the hidden inside skeleton
The pebbled texture made me forget it was plastic - several reviews say the entire body is aluminum (shows how much they know). I had to touch mine just now to confirm, which reminded me of something - an all-metal shell would be cold to the touch.

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
go with a more traditional or even a retro design
I know what you mean, but I have to chuckle whenever I read "traditional" in reference to camera designs - "traditonal" today will be "retro" in a few years. Before traditional cameras meant curvy black (and only black!) plastic things with a big grip on one side, for at least three decades it meant angular chromed bodies (actual metal, not silver paint) with black leatherette. Before that, it meant flat boxes with accordions sticking out of them. Before that, lovely wooden boxes with brass fittings. I guess my point (if I have one), is that I wish people weren't so caught up in conventional wisdom about what a camera should look like, because the one thing conventional wisdom has proven time and again is how fickle it is.
03-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The pebbled texture made me forget it was plastic - several reviews say the entire body is aluminum (shows how much they know). I had to touch mine just now to confirm, which reminded me of something - an all-metal shell would be cold to the touch.
Yep, thats why they used to wrap it in more comfortable leather
You are right about those designs. The K-01 kind of borrows from many of them though. Its boxy, has a flat lens, leatherette (even if its yellow rubber), a DSLR-style hump (even if its just flash without actual OVF).. Newson tried to give a modern twist on old designs.
03-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

There are only several of things I'd change about the K-01:
1. The fact you can't use EV compensation in manual mode with auto ISO on.
2. The rubber card door
3. The histogram doesn't seem to reflect exposure but the live view.

I like the way it looks and I like using it.

03-27-2013, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Style is everything. Rare metals, fur... like jaguar from the Yucatan. Sorry, PETA!
Attached Images