Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what to speculate of the new K-01 II ?

http://detail.zol.com.cn/digital_camera/index343608.shtml&usg=ALkJrhiqulMmeWVmn3tUk0kSX8-nHBo2Bw

The biggest change with the II designation for the K-5 was improved phase detect AF, but that doesn't apply for the K-01, so what then for a K-01 II instead of a K-02?

Same Newson body but more MP maybe? Or no AA? How about exactly the same everything but now with an optional EVF? The other improvement for the K-5 II was the air gap removal on the LCD for better non-reflection in bright light, so maybe just something small like that...

03-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unlikely. The K-01 was a dog and has been discontinued. I own one but if I did not have K mount lenses there would be zero reason to have purchased it. Sales were horrible for it prior to the fire sales. It is unlikely that Pentax will offer a replacement.
03-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sadly, doc is probably right. I own one and I love it but never would've got it before the runout sales. If they did redo the MILC it would most likely be vastly different from the K-01 due to poor sales.
03-26-2013, 07:05 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my favorite videos

Wait for the end...priceless!

03-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Like they are saying ... fat chance ...
03-26-2013, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Unlikely. The K-01 was a dog and has been discontinued. I own one but if I did not have K mount lenses there would be zero reason to have purchased it. Sales were horrible for it prior to the fire sales. It is unlikely that Pentax will offer a replacement.
The K1000 was a failure, a Spotmatic SP500 with a bayonet mount and the 1/1000 marked on the shutter speed dial, a marketing afterthought that had no place in the camera line. It had a production plan of no more than two years, as a placeholder for the new, smaller "M" bodies Pentax was designing in response to Olympus.

Sales were horrible. Who would want a blocky, 1965-technology camera with no automation in 1976? The K1000 was a total dog of a camera.

Until it wasn't.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-26-2013 at 07:40 AM.
03-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess on that note you can say that some of the Pentax cameras are great "artists" ... not appreciated during their life time but highly respected once they are gone ... .

03-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I guess on that note you can say that some of the Pentax cameras are great "artists" ... not appreciated during their life time but highly respected once they are gone ... .
Merely pointing out that the K-01 planned production run did end as intended. The K-01 was normal. The K1000 was the oddball.

And I don't believe the K-01 was the last K-mount MILC.
03-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
http://detail.zol.com.cn/digital_camera/index343608.shtml&usg=ALkJrhiqulMmeWVmn3tUk0kSX8-nHBo2Bw

The biggest change with the II designation for the K-5 was improved phase detect AF, but that doesn't apply for the K-01, so what then for a K-01 II instead of a K-02?

Same Newson body but more MP maybe? Or no AA? How about exactly the same everything but now with an optional EVF? The other improvement for the K-5 II was the air gap removal on the LCD for better non-reflection in bright light, so maybe just something small like that...
Pentax could use one of Sony's new PDAF sensors, perhaps the 24mega pixel from the Nex-7n, but I agree with others. I think there won't be another one. It's a great camera at 299, but it wasn't at $800. Kind of like with the Q, they overbuilt it. The build quality was excellent, but at that pricepoint people want something else(generally). I think they could have built it more like a K-r and sold it for $450, and it would have been a huge success. Still, I'd love to see a medium format and full frame version of the K-01. Imagine if Pentax could come out with a medium format offering at 3k, that would be a revolution.
03-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@kenafein: I have recently read that one reason Pentax "overbuilds" its camera bodies (some kind of rigid metal chassis) is to support IBIS (SR). IBIS is apparently harder to accomplish with thin polycarbonate frames. Perhaps that isn't true but it sure sounds logical. If that is true, they're cornered now, aren't they?
03-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

The Mirrorless Party - YouTube

I love the end!
03-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So K-01 is such a Big Dweeb and Q is such a Little Dweeb and Eos M is such a Dork?
03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@kenafein: I have recently read that one reason Pentax "overbuilds" its camera bodies (some kind of rigid metal chassis) is to support IBIS (SR). IBIS is apparently harder to accomplish with thin polycarbonate frames. Perhaps that isn't true but it sure sounds logical. If that is true, they're cornered now, aren't they?
I never have held a cheap feeling Pentax camera, but there is a big difference in the build quality of the K-5 and the K-r. The K-01 has premium build quality, minus the seals(as did the first Q). I'm not sure how much that saves them. They might not have been able to offer the K-01 for the price point that I suggested ($450) no matter what. However, the K-r was sold in the low 500s and they were saving money without the mirror and viewfinder, you'd think.

Another interesting option would be using an Aptina sensor. The V1 is able to shoot 4k raw video, uncompressed. It can only do it for 1 second before the buffer runs out, but if Pentax worked with Aptina and put in a killer buffer/processor (and cooling) perhaps they could build the ultimate video MILC(another revolution). I know guys who'd line up out the door to be able to buy a camera to shoot even 30 seconds of uncompressed 4k video.
03-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #14

The Mirrorless Party - YouTube

Great video! Just odered the bumblebee K-01...
03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

On the outside I just want them to switch the red and green button and change the on/off button (make it more sleek and flush to the body). And replace the rubber with (faux) leather. Bonus points if the plastic body shell gets replaced with brass.
The mode wheel also needs a TAv mode. I know you have a little bit of TAv if you go to M and use auto ISO, but an actual TAv mode would be better (you could change exposure bias)
On the inside, I would like focus peaking improved (especially for UWA lenses and slow lenses, it should be more sensitive with those lenses than with a fast normal focal length lens), and improved AF. It would be really great it they would add some kind of hyperfocal AF mode, where the camera would focus to approximately hyperfocal, depending on the lens and aperture setting. And it would be really amazing if they can add a digital CiF.
OH! And an ND filter on the sensor, so the camera doesn't have to close the aperture in bright light. I also like the idea of that double sensor technology - one for live view (not a lot of MP, doesn't heat up, but is very fast and is dedicated to AF) and one for taking photos (where IQ is paramount)
Maybe an uncrippled mount and a tilting/articulated screen, if Pentax decides to go down that route.
Just these little changes and the camera would be much more appealing to a wide audience and more usable for the fans. Seriously, someone should send this to Pentax. We already had some great photoshop mockups of the K-01 with metal and leather style

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-26-2013 at 09:40 AM.