Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hyperfocal on Manual -- K-01 as Brownie

My latest attempt to turn my new K-01 into a box Brownie starts in Manual mode. Where you set the aperture to f/8, and the shutter speed to 1/125, with the ISO at 100. This is a good starting place for hazy sun, or a cloudy-bright day. Kodak, in its infinite wisdom, set the Brownie at 1/50 and f/13... but they had 120-size medium format film to work with, back before inflation reduced imaging size to our APS-C postage stamp.

Hyperfocal. Maybe it's an unfortunate term... makes me think of overstimulated teenagers desperately squinting at their cell phones. Hyperfocal, to me, is a magic spot in the distance. If I can focus on that spot, everything's sharp from a good ways in front of that spot, and then behind it all the way to the horizon. And old lenses have hyperfocal setting marks, so photographers wouldn't have to go nuts calculating where that magic spot was. For me, I've found that my old 50mm f/1.4-A lens works at the f/8 hyperfocal setting. Everything's sharp, from about 25' to infinity. But my 28mm f/2.8-A is different... I get good sharp images, near to far, if I just leave it at infinity.

Last step, for that quick Kodak snapshot, is to put the metering mode on Multi-Segment. Or Center-Weighted. And that's about it. You can run around all day, click click click. Now and then increasing the shutter speed for brighter scenes, like to 1/160 or 1/200... or decreasing it, like down to 1/25, for shaded areas. íNo problemo!

03-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True, the 'sunny-16' concept is not great for aps-c so a sunny-8 sounds good.
I have done similar with exposure in manual mode but still using AF, so you're more old-school than I am! The K-5/01 sensor allows a stop or two of leeway in any case.
03-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Can you clarify what you are doing with the -A lenses in M Mode? Do you have the lens ring on -A? Or on a fixed aperture setting?
If the ring is on -A we have the nice EV bar to set the shutter.
I have not worked out how to lock the shutter in Av mode yet.
03-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool. Manual lenses allow for this, its too bad modern lenses have such short focus throw and poor markings (often no markings at all, not even distance scales). I wish they would also add an AF.H mode, so the camera would automatically try to hyperfocus. It could be done, at least with their own brand lenses (like the in-camera distortion fix)

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Can you clarify what you are doing with the -A lenses in M Mode? Do you have the lens ring on -A? Or on a fixed aperture setting? If the ring is on -A we have the nice EV bar to set the shutter. I have not worked out how to lock the shutter in Av mode yet.
When I use completely manual lenses (without A setting on aperture ring), I just use M mode. In Av mode it will always shoot wide open with these lenses. So just set it to M mode, choose the aperture with the lens ring, and then use the green button to meter.
When I use a lens with an A setting on the aperture ring, I just push the button on the aperture ring and set it to A and leave it there. Then you can use M or Av and just set the aperture on the camera, as you would with a DA lens. Keep in mind that on the K-01, M mode will change into TAv mode if you set auto-ISO. If you want to choose the shutter speed, then you need to go into Tv mode and the camera will automatically choose the aperture, while you decide the shutter and ISO.
In all modes (except M/TAv) you can use the +/- button to access exposure compensation. I usually like to overexpose a little, because I shoot raw and darkening an image saturates the colours more, as long as the image isn't too bright (as in, parts being pure white)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-27-2013 at 06:19 PM.
03-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Thanks, Na,
But my query was, with an -A lens with the ring on A how to pre- meter then lock that camera exposure when in Av mode? None of the 3 buttons do it.
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@wombat -- in M Manual, with the lens on the A mark, you can set the AF/AE-L button to lock the exposure, but it won't work with a fixed ISO. What you get is exactly what you set the aperture and shutter speed to produce, and you can't see the result until after you take the picture.

In M, if you change to Auto-ISO, then you can lock the exposure. Also, once you've changed to Auto-ISO, what you see on the screen is what you'll get. Of course, now you are off pure manual, and back to letting the camera do it for you.

Today, I went down to the station around 6 PM, an hour before sunset in Del Mar, California. And was able, on pure Manual, to take pictures as the trains moved toward me... with the 28mm lens. But only an hour later, evening at a shopping mall, the light was falling off so fast I couldn't estimate it, so I turned to Manual with Auto-ISO. Anyway, here's today's trains, on M --

@Na -- It would be so easy to have the camera figure and set the hyperfocal distance! Surprised nobody's done that; would love to map my red button to Hyperfocal. Pentax could do this one in software -- the camera's already got all the information you need. Also, thanks for that last post of yours... it makes this all very clear. TAv is a great help... with my old lens on its A setting, I can use the K-01's +/- button to set both aperture and shutter speed, and let the ISO go to whatever. I'm going to get better at pure manual... but TAv is great for fast-changing light!
Attached Images

Last edited by jon404; 03-28-2013 at 12:19 AM.
03-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yeah hyperfocal works great except that on digital APS-C it's just a bit over a stop off. So on your A28/2.8, you need to close down to 11 instead of 8 if you want it to line up with the red markings (3M).