Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K01 in the sun

I recently picked up a K01 and have to admit it is an impressive little camera. But, it is all but impossible to use on a sunny day. All I could see was my own reflection in the LCD. One thing I did realize is that it makes an excellent mirror. But that is not why i got one. And, i don't think it will make a particularly good travel camera if you expect to be out in the sun.

03-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

That is one rather big issue with the K-01. Many folks have added hood for shade, though I'd think my eye would have to be closer to the screen to use it. That brings my multi-focal eyeglasses into the equation, which is less of an issue when my elbows are grounded to my tummy for some stability.

I'm in western Oregon where it's sunny today, so I'm about to give this my first real test since I bought my K-01 in November!
03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hello and welcome.
The only time this is a problem is when the sun shines on you and then gets reflected on the screen. There are several things you can do to mitigate this.
1) Change position, move around. Not very handy, but it can help
2) Adjust screen brightness and keep the screen clean. Any fingerprints or other grime will make the screen glare more bothersome.
3) Wear a hat with a shield or brim, so your face is dark and won't get reflected. You will only need it in sunny situations, and in those cases it makes sense to wear a hat anyway.
4) Buy and mount an LCD screen accessory, like a shade or loupe. There are actually a lot of things out there to help prevent screen glare. I personally don't use any, but some users on this forum have reported that they had good results with various different accessories. You don't even have to keep the thing mounted the whole time; you just put it on when you need to. Make sure what you are buying will fit on this camera. Its probably best to look for threads if anyone already tested it, or test it yourself in a store before buying.

Unfortunately Pentax developed a new screen technology (airgapless LCD, has less glare) for the K-5II, but it was just a bit after the K-01. Oh well, thats life for ya

Hope you enjoy your camera Feel free to take a look at the recommended settings thread and make sure you update the firmware!

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-31-2013 at 10:42 AM.
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just went to eBay and saw some lcd screen shades. It looks like it could be helpful, but there are none that seem like they would work for the K-01. The loupe is also a good idea, but it seems like it would turn the camera into a balloon, which defeats one of the main purposes of a mirrorless camera which is a reduction in size.

03-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

surprised nobody suggested blue blockers. Havent tried it myself, but my understanding is the blueblockers act on your eyes the way that CP filters act on your optics. Cuts glare down. Of course...the only consequence is that you are being seen in public wearing blue blockers
03-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
CP filters act on your optics
Oh, you just reminded me - I have some polarized sunglasses, and if I tilt the camera sideways into portrait layout they make the screen go black. Weird how many little things are annoying with these LCD screens..
03-31-2013, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I got the Delkin hood for around $9 off Amazon, B&H, or Adorama. It comes in two parts - one thin frame part which includes a screen protector and gets taped to the camera; and the shade part which is detachable and provides about 2-3" of shade on three sides. The thin attached frame adds an almost unnoticable amount to the thickness of the camera. The shade part folds out of the way while it's installed so the camera can be put back into a bag easily without removing the shade each time.

We spent a sunny day in historic Williamsburg VA last week and the shade worked great. There are still some reflections because the screen protector is just as shiny as the screen but once the LCD comes on, the reflections aren't noticeable. Unless the sun is directly behind you coming over your shoulder, this shade should work great.

I suspect it will also come in handy for taking videos in a dark room to keep stray light from distracting those sitting nearby.

There are a bunch of shades on Amazon at a wide variety of prices. Here's the link for the Delkin shade:

http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DU3-0-M-BLK-Universal-3-0-Inch/dp/B000HB2TJ2/re...lkin+lcd+shade

Last edited by Rob22315; 03-31-2013 at 01:28 PM.
03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh, you just reminded me - I have some polarized sunglasses, and if I tilt the camera sideways into portrait layout they make the screen go black. Weird how many little things are annoying with these LCD screens..
It is getting more and more difficult to find non-polarized glasses, especially as clipovers for prescrip glasses...

03-31-2013, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I just went to eBay and saw some lcd screen shades. It looks like it could be helpful, but there are none that seem like they would work for the K-01. The loupe is also a good idea, but it seems like it would turn the camera into a balloon, which defeats one of the main purposes of a mirrorless camera which is a reduction in size.
- For a LCD hood, try the Kaiser DigiShield... It attaches via a tripod screw.

Amazon.com: Kaiser Digishield, Folding 3" LCD Hood for Digital Cameras with Touch Screen Compatability: Camera & Photo

- The best LCD Hood/Loup is the CarrySpeed Swivi VF3. It has a incredible tripod screw mounting system. The attachment plate doubles as an Arca-Swiss mounting plate. Very adjustable. Look at the videos at Carry Speed.

VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

It is also available from vendors other than Carry Speed... search Swivi on eBay.

The option I use is the ClearViewer. It is a simple loup on a folding arm. It allows me to use an eye level hold and have the camera near my eye with the screen in focus even though I use glasses for presbyopia. I find it superb. I shield the screen when I use the ClearViewer with my left hand or a baseball hat.

Clearviewer tripod mount
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.

Rob22315: does the delkin stay on the back of the camera and remain on there in a stable way? I would get one if it isn't too fiddly to keep on and use.

Thanks
03-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Thanks for the suggestions.

Rob22315: does the delkin stay on the back of the camera and remain on there in a stable way? I would get one if it isn't too fiddly to keep on and use.

Thanks
The Delkin locks into it's frame with four little tabs - 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. It doesn't move unless you knock it from the side.

After looking at some of the other offerings on Amazon, I might go for the Enhance version next time. It's about the same price and build quality (from the pictures) but it includes a matte screen protector which would help with the reflections problem. The matte protector could also interfere with the focus peaking too but I won't know until I try it. At 8 or 9 bucks a shot, I don't mind doing a little experimentation. I accidentally ordered two of the Delkins but didn't mind in the end because I had to return my first K-01 for an exchange but had already installed one of the Delkins on it.

The taped frame isn't reuseable but the hoods are all the same so I now have a spare hood if the first one breaks. On the exchanged K-01, I peeled the frame off the camera before I sent it back and it came off without damaging the camera finish. (The issue with the K-01 had nothing to do with the hood. The camera wouldn't start up properly if left sitting off overnight and someone had already installed firmware 1.02 on it even though the production run stopped before 1.02 was issued.)

Note that both the Delkin and the Enhance appear to be very similar - light weight plastic parts, same frame/hood setup, same folding design. The models in the $30-60 range are in a difference class.
03-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just ordered one.

Thanks!
03-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
The Delkin locks into it's frame with four little tabs - 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. It doesn't move unless you knock it from the side.

After looking at some of the other offerings on Amazon, I might go for the Enhance version next time. It's about the same price and build quality (from the pictures) but it includes a matte screen protector which would help with the reflections problem. The matte protector could also interfere with the focus peaking too but I won't know until I try it. At 8 or 9 bucks a shot, I don't mind doing a little experimentation. I accidentally ordered two of the Delkins but didn't mind in the end because I had to return my first K-01 for an exchange but had already installed one of the Delkins on it.

The taped frame isn't reuseable but the hoods are all the same so I now have a spare hood if the first one breaks. On the exchanged K-01, I peeled the frame off the camera before I sent it back and it came off without damaging the camera finish. (The issue with the K-01 had nothing to do with the hood. The camera wouldn't start up properly if left sitting off overnight and someone had already installed firmware 1.02 on it even though the production run stopped before 1.02 was issued.)

Note that both the Delkin and the Enhance appear to be very similar - light weight plastic parts, same frame/hood setup, same folding design. The models in the $30-60 range are in a difference class.
which Delkin did you buy? mine does nit have any tape. it is attached via the tripod socket and is stable.

EDIT: please ignore this post, I mistakenly thought the Delkin was the Kaiser Digishield.

Last edited by GXRUser; 04-01-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Correction
03-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience the K-01 LCD is satisfactory when wearing a brimmed hat in all conditions except wearing a light shirt AND
  • bright sun coming directly over my left shoulder onto the LCD
  • late afternoon sun striking the LCD at an obtuse angle (basically from the left side)
I carry a large black Pentax microfiber cloth in my bag and I use that as a shield when necessary.

I am able to hold the camera very close to my face - I am fortunate in my visual limitations that this hold is not proscribed. The Clearview Tripod mount finder looks very interesting.
03-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
which Delkin did you buy? mine does nit have any tape. it is attached via the tripod socket and is stable.
The one linked in post #7 in this thread.