Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #1

Its official: I love my K-01

There are still a number of little things I dislike about this camera, but I got a chance to really put it through its paces on a short vacation to Charleston. The dynamic range, color, and different "film" settings in-camera are just utterly amazing. Here are some samples....only small shadows/highlights adjustments in PP on most and a few in camera HDR on others.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_mb/

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 04-01-2013 at 07:24 AM.
04-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your newfound love for this much maligned camera.
04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I love mine so much I am thinking about selling my K-5 with grip to fund the purchase of another K-01. The only reason I don't is because I can't use my Tamron 70-200 in AF mode on the K-01!
04-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
There are still a number of little things I dislike about this camera, but I got a chance to really put it through its paces on a short vacation to Charleston. The dynamic range, color, and different "film" settings in-camera are just utterly amazing. Here are some samples....only small shadows/highlights adjustments in PP on most and a few in camera HDR on others.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_mb/
Didnīt you have a K20D before ? I was just wondering how the k-01 is compared to that. I ordered the K-01a couple of days ago, after many years with the K20D

04-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Glad you are enjoying it.
04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
My poor K5 has barely been touched lately
If the K-5 wants to make the K-01 feel bad too it will start sending subliminal messages through the K-01 LCD - "Get a Q.....Get a Q"
04-01-2013, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Genesis Quote
Didnīt you have a K20D before ? I was just wondering how the k-01 is compared to that. I ordered the K-01a couple of days ago, after many years with the K20D
As much as a like my K-20D, I think I have had the K-01 long enough to be over the "new toy" syndrome, so I can do a somewhat objective analysis.

Advantages of K-01 over K20D
1. More portable and less conspicuous: I note that I have flown with the K-01 3 times and never been asked to produce it for inspection. Everything I fly with the K20D, I have to remove the lens/battery for the TSA thugs. This also makes it easier to carry on a day-to-day basis, esp. with the 40mm pancake, so I find I use it more and tend to take more "random" shots. Small size allows easier street photography and also doesn't scream "Hey, I have an expensive camera"
2. IQ At the end of the day, this is what does it for me. The IQ on the K-01 is noticeably better than the K20D. The level of detail it captures is amazing...not that the K20D is shabby by any means. I have no reason to want to "upgrade" the K20.
3. In camera color settings I love being able to use the "film reversal", "bleach bypass" and "cross-processing" features of the k-01 when shooting in raw...it really cuts down on the PP time, and I like to be able to produce the image I intended when I capture it, rather than "playing" in Photoshop. The colors on the K-01 really seem to "pop" right out of the camera, where the images from the K20D seem flat by comparison.
4. Quick Live view means no prob shooting with my glasses....but see below. Also, live view allows me the flexibility to shoot from perspectives and angles I would not usually do.
5. Focus peaking makes using manual lenses easier (particularly with my failing eyesight).

Advantages of K20D over K-01
1. Viewfinder (in some situations). The glare issue with the LCD on the K-01 is problem...no ifs ands or buts. Sometimes, a viewfinder is needed. Sometimes I prefer a viewfinder. Using a viewfinder makes me feel like I am extricating myself from the scene and capturing it as an observer. Life view makes me feel like I am intruding on people's comings and goings.
2. Dual dials, button placement. Far superior over K-01
3. Weather sealed.
4. ergonomic handling. While I am a big fan of the thumb-shooter position on the K-01, sometimes I miss the normal grip hold.
5. Allows for use of wired radio remote release. K-01 does not.
6. No silly red button.
7. Its a DSLR. Sometimes I want to be shooting a DSLR at certain events...if you bring enough pro gear, people tend to stay out of your way and assume you are supposed to be there.
8. Easier to balance larger lenses.
9. Better write speed/shutter lag
[edit] 10. More stable on/off switch. I find my strap likes to inadvertently hit the on/off button on the K-01....very annoying, particularly if changes lenses on the fly, as the K-01 keeps the sensor exposed when turned "on"....as such, I now have a dust speck on the K-01 sensor. No such problems with K20D.
04-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

Thank you for your very objective analysis. I can se that my "pre-buying" research was not a waste of time
This is more or less what I do expect when the K-01 arrives, and I will start shooting.
I

04-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

For trips (at least ones with a lot of inside shooting), my K-30 is becoming the backup to my K-01, instead the other way around. The K-01 did all the work this weekend until I stopped on the way home for some quick shots and grabbed the K-30 because it was sprinkling rain. At first, I had to figure out what the neckstrap and viewfinder were for, then why the shutter was so loud.
04-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
I have a Q. It is now my wifes camera.
I got my son's Mother-in-law to buy one yesterday.