Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my K-01 today

If you've read any of my other posts; you'll know I was torn between the 01 and the Q. However with the sale of a lens and the run-out prices on the 01 at the moment I was able to pick one up without completely going broke No need for 2min Noodles this week!
Although it did turn up a day AFTER the weekend I wanted to take it to Melbourne.

So I get my SMS from Auspost about midday today and run up to the post office to grab it and race home. In unpacking it I was a smidge disappointed in its size. I dunno; I kinda hoped it would be a little smaller; but more on that in a sec.... The next thing I noticed was its wonderful build quality. Although my wife immediately said 'Oh, it looks like a toy' and although the styling is very stripped back - what is there is stunningly made and it has a nice purposeful weight to it.
Seeing as I only bought the body, I ran off to my office to grab my trusty old Sigma 28-90mm. Certainly not a wonderful match the sensor in this beast, but I find it a handy focal range. A few snaps later (I grabbed my charged second battery out of the K5) and started to realise this whole Live View thing might just work. I never really used it much on either the GX20, the K7, or the K5. I always found it a bit clunky, but on the K-01 - it just works. Well too. Then I realised I hadnt turned focus peaking on - Ooo... Did that and what a revelation. What a perfect way of really knowing what is in focus!
Next was some video. Again, something I poked at a little on the K-7 and never even touched on the K-5. But seeing as this camera is essentially full-time Live View, it seemed appropriate to try. Initially i was a bit 'meh' about it. I couldnt get it to AF in video, and seeing as there is no focus peaking in Video, manual focusing is a bit "I *think* its in focus?". However a 2 second search of these wonderful forums had me sorted (the book says to half press the shutter button, but what you want to do it use the AF/AE-L button) and I was away!

So, from my hours play; this is where I'm at:
Pros:
Love or hate the styling, this is one well made camera
The screen is stunningly crisp and wonderful to use and thus far hasnt given me any grief in the sun
It's still smaller than my loaded up K5

Cons:
Why couldnt they have extended the rubber grip to that empty space where your thumb sits????
Not focus peaking in video

All in all I'm stoked, AND it will fit nicely in my smaller tank bag on the bike.
Speaking of the bike; the biggest up shot of the full time Live View for me is that I can shoot without having to take my helmet off

04-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Yep, i agree with all you have said, but....You didn't mention my pet con.. the rubber cover over the card slot. I love my K-01 but boy, do I hate that cover. Very poorly thought out, that one.
04-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, it is a little average, especially considering they then went to the trouble of putting in a secondary, *proper* hatch underneath it o_0
But in saying that; as a 'whole' unit - man its nice to have such a simple easy camera with *that* sensor in it

This is a quick set of me fluffing around this arvo, chasing the dog around.
I've really got to get a nice SDM/HSM lens for it tho; that screw drive is a) really loud, and b) really slow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsotp/sets/72157633148245132/

Last edited by Lurch; 04-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.
04-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #4

Match it up with some fast primes and you have a killer setup that looks the exact opposite. Install the latest firmware and AF speed should improve significantly.

04-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup - first thing I did was the firmware (even had it pre-downloaded )
I'l whack the FA 50mm 1.7 on later and have a play with that.

I'm thinking a Sigma 18-250mm HSM might be on the cards soon.

EDIT: Question; other than noise, what is the benefit of HSM/SDM? is it any faster?

Last edited by Lurch; 04-02-2013 at 12:15 AM.
04-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
IMO(not scientific by any means) HSM/SDM lenses tend to focus quicker, YMMV. I also like the quietness
04-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Sounds like you've found a winner in your new K-01 ... enjoy and post something soon ... J
04-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I'm thinking a Sigma 18-250mm HSM might be on the cards soon
Not so fast (tactfully, please) if you are wanting to use autofocus on the Pentax K-01... Don't want anyone out there spending money on something that will most likely not work well with the Pentax K-01...

While that lens mentioned will in fact work to some extent on the K-01; it will not work all of the time in autofocus mode. For some reason some of the PK lenses don't work all to effectively below and aperature of f5.0 (sometimes at about f4.5 and even above). So if that (OR ANY) PK lens drops below that point (even in it's zoom range) then one might very well lose auto ability.

Is it adaptable to? Yes, and easily. But for some, it might mean missing the pic.

04-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You mean on the K-01 or in general?
04-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Banned

So far just on the K-01. The Sigma lens you mentioned and also any of the other ones which have lower aperatures should work just swell on any of the other Pentax digital cameras
04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm guessing the 18-135 Pentax would be a better option?
04-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter

it's a rough patch with the k-01: fast tele zooms are awkward, slow ones have AF issues at times. even the 18-135's f/5.6 could be a problem but I haven't tried that combo.
04-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter

More info on lens compatibility with the K-01 in this thread (and from there links to others). The general rule seems to be that faster glass, and lenses with short focus throw work better than slower/long throw lenses.
04-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter

it's a rough patch with the k-01: fast tele zooms are awkward, slow ones have AF issues at times. even the 18-135's f/5.6 could be a problem but I haven't tried that combo.
04-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
More info on lens compatibility with the K-01 in this thread (and from there links to others). The general rule seems to be that faster glass, and lenses with short focus throw work better than slower/long throw lenses.
That's consistent with good technical intuition although I haven't fully tested this out. Note, I'm not an AF system designer but I have worked on a lot of complex closed-loop hybrid software-mechanical systems.

With phase detection systems there's an opportunity for the AF system to get an assessment of how far out of focus the image is so the AF algorithms can both estimate the amount of lens movement needed to correct the focus and measure the impact of lens movement at the same time. With contrast systems it's more difficult to estimate the amount of lens movement needed [if not impossible] so the camera is missing 1/2 the opportunity to achieve focus. Accordingly, we get the 'double pump' back-and-forth action on the K-01 because the camera can only assess the result of lens movement, not predict the amount needed.

Interestingly, the designers beefed up the AF motor on the K-01 compared to those used on DSLRs to help compensate according to an interview with the Pentax designers I posted in another thread on this forum.

My FA 100/2.8 macro is a long throw lens and it struggles a lot unless I use the focus limiter knob on the lens (which the designers put on to keep the phase detection focus systems from hunting as well according to the lens manual). My 18-55 and 16-45 short throw zooms don't have this problem, my 80-320 zoom does.