Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the look of this camera+lens combo! I think the third picture especially has some WWII bomber vibe that is very cool. (It might look even better on a yellow K-01 though...) And the picture quality seems impressive! Is the lens sharp wide-open? Do you have any 50mm Pentax primes to compare with?

04-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I thought I had enough Russian nifty fifties... I guess not.

I like those pictures at the mall. No one tried to stop you? Last time I tried taking pictures at the mall (no creeper shots of people through windows or anything, just plants, fountains, and displays like you were doing), I got maybe five shots in before two security guards told me to stop. I know my "rights as a photographer," but the mall is private property. If they say no photography, you can't do it. (Tip to photogs in my area: if you want pics at the Chandler Fashion Center, bring a small camera.)

I'm not saying you were breaking the rules or anything. Different malls have different rules, plus things may be different in Russia. I'll be sure to try some more pics if I ever get to another mall.
We have the same rules but it depends on the mood of the guards, normally they don't care.
In fact they should inspire to take photos, it's good advertisement for their moll.
04-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I love the look of this camera+lens combo! I think the third picture especially has some WWII bomber vibe that is very cool. (It might look even better on a yellow K-01 though...) And the picture quality seems impressive! Is the lens sharp wide-open? Do you have any 50mm Pentax primes to compare with?
It is sharp enough wide open (see the picture with 3 pigs and their house). I don't have any Pentax primes yet but I am waiting for PENTAX SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 XS to be delivered by the end of the month.
It will be interesting comparison ($16 lens vis $225 lens).
04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Nice sample photos there, really seems to be quite sharp with pleasing bokeh. Will be interesting to see it compare to the XS. The XS is a very sharp lens, too, but a little slower at f2.8.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
Sounds like a job for the Q.
ha, I would love to see this lens on a Q!

05-05-2013, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LBA wins again

To no one's surprise, I couldn't resist getting a K2. Overall impression: A very pleasant lens, nicely sharp with a pleasing character. The only serious criticism I have involves the spring that holds back the aperture arm. Wide open, it stretches slightly across the path of the tube holding the rear element, which pushes it out of the way with a springy/scrapy sound as you focus. I don't know if the spring will stretch with use and get better - or break. Other than that, I'm sure it's one the best 50mm lenses you can buy NEW for less than US$50. I got to play with it for the first time this weekend - there are more samples on my flickr page.

f/8 and f/2: sharpness versus bokeh (both exposure adjusted in SILKYPIX for better comparison)

100% crop example (a lousy example shooting into shade):

Last edited by THoog; 05-05-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typos, always typos
05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you can buy them new for $50?
05-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
you can buy them new for $50?
I got mine from eBay / MoscowPhoto, US$49.90 shipping included. Brand new in the classic plastic jar, complete with a 20+ page manual (too bad I can't read Russian!). It took about three weeks to get through customs and came by registered air mail (bonus - some nice stamps for the guy at work who collects them).

MoscowPhoto also lists the Zenitar-K 2/50mm and the -K2 2/50mm packaged in a cardboard box with a velvet baggie instead of the jar. I'm not sure what the difference is (if any) between them. They also have the -M2s 2/50mm, the M42 version of the same lens (a little more expensive).

05-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Ha!.

Well there ya go

Bargain of the Decade :P
05-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #24

Original Poster
They are made for each other!
05-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I got mine from eBay / MoscowPhoto, US$49.90 shipping included. Brand new in the classic plastic jar, complete with a 20+ page manual (too bad I can't read Russian!). It took about three weeks to get through customs and came by registered air mail (bonus - some nice stamps for the guy at work who collects them).

MoscowPhoto also lists the Zenitar-K 2/50mm and the -K2 2/50mm packaged in a cardboard box with a velvet baggie instead of the jar. I'm not sure what the difference is (if any) between them. They also have the -M2s 2/50mm, the M42 version of the same lens (a little more expensive).
OK, now you just caused me spending 50 bucks on some Russian plastic, while I already have the M 50mm 1.7... This Zenitar just looks awesome on the K-01, I couldn't resist it anymore.

I also ordered mine from eBay/moscowphoto and saw the 2 versions (plastic jar and velvet bag). I also decided for the plastic jar version, because the lens was probably better protected this way from humidity during all those years on the shelf. The manual pictured on the eBay offer also looked slightly newer than the one with the 'velvet bag' version.
05-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Velvet Bag... What luxury! :P

What camera were theses lenses originally sold with? The XP?
05-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Velvet Bag... What luxury! :P

What camera were theses lenses originally sold with? The XP?
I think it was the Zenit 122K or the 212K "Spud", which had a curvy plastic shell.