Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

My White k-01 is finally home... surprise, it is actually WHITE!!!

Don't know why, but deep inside I thought that the white body k-01 would be Whitish Aluminum colour instead of that plain creamy white.

I was surprised when I got it last night out of the box. Kind of liked it though. The built quality is really good compared to my Nikon d5100 that I sold lately (with all the lenses and switched system to pentax) though I have no negative comments about the build quality of the Nikon but it was plasticky.

I want to share with you guys my experience till now with the k-01, there are few things I noticed:

1- When I turn the camera On a loud buzzing sound can be heard and the camera shakes a bit, I guess it is the flap of the sensor cover but is it normal that it sounds so loud? it is not the dust removing system because I set that option to be enabled when the camera turns off.
2- I updated the firmware to 1.03 and focusing is quiet acceptable in dim light, no trouble at all.
3- The k-01 feels solid in the hand and is very well built, you can feel the high quality.
4- The screen visibility is good outside, provided you are not reflecting the sun on the screen towards your eyes, IF this happens, reposition yourself or just use the other hand as a sunshield.
5- I ordered the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the Tamron 18-200 too, in my and I realized are really 2 bulky lenses never thought they will be that big, compared to normal kit lenses, I think it will bring comments such as: what kind of cameras do you have on that lens?!!!
6- Another thing I noticed is when mounting lenses on the k-01, it sounds also like the pins are grinding over the mount until it fits properly and clicks.
Operating all the parts physically is smooth, all the dials feel quality, excepts the grinding sound on the lens mount and the startup sound , I don't know whether this issue is specific to my k-01 or is it common in the Pentax line... am I wrong???

I am happy with my little new toy, I don't think it will take me long before I am in ease with Pentax menu system.
It was a good buy for a really good camera, I am already an admirer.
Thank youuu for such a great informative friendly forum

04-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the ... K-01!

Your observations closely mirror mine, down to the "talkative" K-mount. I have the 40XS lens, too, and it is just odd to have to rotate the focus ring while mounting or unmounting the lens.

That noise I think has caused me to be tentative while mounting lenses, causing a number of remounts to get all the contacts properly seated. This observation is my closest thing to a complaint.
04-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome and congrats! That is one good-looking camera
There are a couple colours, and some are available only in certain regions. There is also a silver version.
Hm, the mount being a bit "strong" is normal, a lot of people post threads about this the first day they get the camera. After a little usage it will be smoother.
Startup.. I'm not sure what you mean. The dust removal has to be "disabled" (turned off). When you turn on the K-01, there will be a click sound (which opens aperture and starts live view). Will sound like "K-schhk!". You might hear a low buzzing sound, which is constant, this is the SR (even if you "disable it"). Dust removal is a sound like "trrRrrRrrRrr", a short burst of movements that is supposed to make dust fall off the sensor. You don't need dust removal on a brand new camera, and you should only use it manually, when you decide that you have dust on your sensor. Keep in mind, "enabled" means turned ON, "disabled" means turned OFF. Another sound you might hear is a clunk sound when the camera is turned off and shaken. That is also normal, it is the SR, only now it is turned off and moves around freely. Though, you shouldn't shake your camera pointlessly.

You should also look for the thread on Recommended K-01 settings. It will help make the camera more comfortable for usage.
Oh, also, you might want to look at this video at around 2:30:
He turns on the camera and you can hear the sounds, though keep in mind that sounds may appear louder in real life than in a video

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-05-2013 at 07:23 AM.
04-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you squareeyes,

I know now that at least both your k-01 and mine have almost same "behavior".
I hope these "anomalies" are not only related to our k-01 units ...

Waiting to see what others have to say

04-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Na Horuk for your reply,
I have the SR turned on but it is set on Mode (1) which activates SR at the moment of capture only, so I am not sure whether the sound I am hearing at startup is related to SR !? Unless it is programmed to shake when the camera is powered on, but on the other hand, shaking is one thing and that loud sound is another.

After viewing that video, I think it is the same sound but a bit louder.
About the dust removal shake, I had it always On on my d5100 as I was advised. You are suggesting that I turn it On on the k-01 ONLY when necessay??
I am sure there is a technical explenation about what you said, can you please tell me what it is?

I will wait and see after few days if that sound remains as pronounced as it is now, it could be only a microallignment thing of components over the sensor when opening the shutter, if this is the case it will self adjust after few powering on and off cycles I am hoping
04-05-2013, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by M.Zein Quote
I have the SR turned on but it is set on Mode (1) which activates SR at the moment of capture only, so I am not sure whether the sound I am hearing at startup is related to SR !?
There will be a sound regardless of the setting, SR settings just affect whether the sensor is only held in place or also moves to reduce shaking.

I am sure there is a technical explenation about what you said, can you please tell me what it is?
No point to rattle the sensor without there actually being any dust on there. You can do anything you want, but I think most posters on here only use the dust removal manually, not "on startup."

After viewing that video, I think it is the same sound but a bit louder.
I specifically wrote that the video sound is lower than IRL because it is. I'm pretty sure your camera is completely normal, just enjoy it and stop worrying

Here is that thread I told you about earlier:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/179225-k-01-recommended-settings.html
04-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are three sounds on start up, the SR gripping the sensor, the dust removal and the aperture pin engaging. I actually miss something when I start a camera and it doesn't have the sounds on start up, so it's perfectly normal and a part of owning a Pentax camera!

04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome and congrats! That is one good-looking camera
There are a couple colours, and some are available only in certain regions. There is also a silver version.
Hm, the mount being a bit "strong" is normal, a lot of people post threads about this the first day they get the camera. After a little usage it will be smoother.
Startup.. I'm not sure what you mean. The dust removal has to be "disabled" (turned off). When you turn on the K-01, there will be a click sound (which opens aperture and starts live view). Will sound like "K-schhk!". You might hear a low buzzing sound, which is constant, this is the SR (even if you "disable it"). Dust removal is a sound like "trrRrrRrrRrr", a short burst of movements that is supposed to make dust fall off the sensor. You don't need dust removal on a brand new camera, and you should only use it manually, when you decide that you have dust on your sensor. Keep in mind, "enabled" means turned ON, "disabled" means turned OFF. Another sound you might hear is a clunk sound when the camera is turned off and shaken. That is also normal, it is the SR, only now it is turned off and moves around freely. Though, you shouldn't shake your camera pointlessly.

You should also look for the thread on Recommended K-01 settings. It will help make the camera more comfortable for usage.
Oh, also, you might want to look at this video at around 2:30:
Pentax K-01 In-Depth Review Introduction by PentaxForums.com - YouTube
He turns on the camera and you can hear the sounds, though keep in mind that sounds may appear louder in real life than in a video
I respectfully disagree with your comments regarding when to use dust removal. Where did you hear that? I have a Pentax K-30 and K-01 and also several Oly's (including the E-5, E-620, and OM-D E-M5). All have dust removal. I recommend that it be used every time the camera is operated. Because of this, I have never, I repeat never have had a dust issue with my cameras over all these years (unlike the issues we have heard about with Nikons and Canons). You are in no way harming or wearing out the camera by using dust removal every time you turn on the camera. And for a new camera it should be used also, especially if you change lenses (and in areas where there may be dust or debris in the air). Old camera, new camera, it does not matter, Use the dust removal feature.
04-09-2013, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Congrats on your white K-01, but... do you have a white 18-55 to go with it?

Last edited by normhead; 04-10-2013 at 06:38 AM.
04-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I actually got it with the DAL 18-55 mm white kit and the 50-200 mm (black !?)
was wondering whether anyone has a 50-200 mm white?
04-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think a white 50-200mm exists. Odd that you didn't get it. You should write them an email.
You can try finding one on the ebays, where they sell the many coloured Pentax lenses from Japan. Its seems like a lot of work just to get what you probably should have gotten.
04-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
It seems there are no white version of dal 50-200

Nothing on ebay, Nothing on amazon...
04-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the clear-away at KEH

If your vender can't correct your order, KEH has one at a bargain price...
Pentax Digital 50-200 F4-5.6 SMC DAL ED WHITE (52) *WITH CAPS DIGITAL SLR ZOOM STANDARD ANGLE LENS - KEH.com

Good luck getting your orer corrected!

ROn
04-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Ron for the link, Will see what can be done