Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I don't think the K-01 is the problem. CDAF is the problem. I simply can't trust CDAF to lock on what in my mind it should (whether with my EX1 of K-01), and it's because it focuses on highest contrast edges, and if it happens to be behind the subject, even if the subject occupies 90% of the focus area in front of it, this is where it will focus. I find it frustrating most of the times. Using spot focus is difficult at close range since re-framing the camera always changes the distance to subject. Hence, Select focus is the only practical method, which is slow (i.e. it takes time to select the focus point), and still sometimes inaccurate as the smallest focus box is still too big at times.
I think that is certainly a big part of the problem. It also seems to just play better with certain lenses under certain conditions.

I also have a suspicion that the firmware could use a little more development. Seeing as it is now discontinued though, I'm guessing we wont get it.

04-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I don't think the K-01 is the problem. CDAF is the problem. I simply can't trust CDAF to lock on what in my mind it should (whether with my EX1 of K-01), and it's because it focuses on highest contrast edges, and if it happens to be behind the subject, even if the subject occupies 90% of the focus area in front of it, this is where it will focus. I find it frustrating most of the times. Using spot focus is difficult at close range since re-framing the camera always changes the distance to subject. Hence, Select focus is the only practical method, which is slow (i.e. it takes time to select the focus point), and still sometimes inaccurate as the smallest focus box is still too big at times.
I have used and liked the K01 for macro and architecture. However, my most-often photographed moving events are dance events. They often include low light. I have tried my K01 twice now for dance, and it is a bust. The focus is too slow and hard to fix on the desired spot regardless of the lens. Even my Lumix LX7 P&S was far superior at quick focus in low light. For dance on APS-C, it is back to the phase-detect DSLR.
04-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Yep. It reminds me when I tried to catch my niece on a Merry-Go-Round. The K-01, DA*300 and moving objects is not a great combination.

However...when I added a red-dot scope, to the K-01 is when it redeemed itself.
04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. It reminds me when I tried to catch my niece on a Merry-Go-Round. The K-01, DA*300 and moving objects is not a great combination.

However...when I added a red-dot scope, to the K-01 is when it redeemed itself.
A red dot scope as in a rifle laser scope?

My sony v-1 has holographic laser auto focus assist (basically a grid of lasers for the AF assist light) and it can focus in a completely dark room with little to no stray light. I'm not sure if IR light helps it out as it does have night mode that pulls the ir cut filter out of the way.

Last edited by ripit; 04-22-2013 at 11:04 AM.
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
A red dot scope as in a rifle laser scope?

My sony v-1 has holographic laser auto focus assist (basically a grid of lasers for the AF assist light) and it can focus in a completely dark room with little to no stray light. I'm not sure if IR light helps it out as it does have night mode that pulls the ir cut filter out of the way.
The red dot scope doesn't emit anything. It's purely for aiming the K-01. For some reason, when I am able to track with a scope, the camera "hunts" less.

Funny how a "scope" and "hunting" are used this way in relation to a camera.
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #21
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you would a just asked me, I would have told you not to do that.

( I said to my doctor " It hurts when I do this." He said, "Don't do that.")
I told my Doctor my tailbone hurts if I sit in "my" chair too long. He said, "Don't sit in 'your' chair too long".
04-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The red dot scope doesn't emit anything. It's purely for aiming the K-01. For some reason, when I am able to track with a scope, the camera "hunts" less.

Funny how a "scope" and "hunting" are used this way in relation to a camera.
I've always called that accessory a "Red Dot Finder," as in helping me to find my subject with a super-telephoto lens. Hunters use it to bring their narrow FoV rifle scope onto the target.