Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
I own a K-01 but not a K30. I do own other DSLRs though. If I were you, for my first 'real' camera, I'd go with the K30. The K-01 is a great camera, but you will always wonder what you're missing by not having a DSLR. You will buy a DSLR sooner or later. The K30 it will last you years and you won't have that nagging feeling that you're missing something. In the long run the K30 is the cheaper of the 2.

04-08-2013, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K-01, around my neck with the 21ltd of 40 xs on it. It produces stunning scenery images with little effort. But less than 10% of my images are taken with it. We don't use it with lenses 50mm or longer. Once the lenses start getting heavy, the balance is all wrong. But I'd use it with any lens that weighs a few ounces. ANd I only like it with primes, working a zoom while holding the camera away from you for framing is a royal pain in the .....

90% of what I do is still done with the K-5. So I'd say K-30 all the way. Get the 90% of your shots covered first. Deal with the 10% after. The K-01 is great addition...and has saved me a lot of lens changes. But it doesn't replace a DSLR.
04-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter

If you have the money for a K-30+kit lens, I'd say, spend that amount, but buy a K-01 with the 40XS and extra good lenses (maybe a used 18-50ish F/2.8 and an older prime like the 50mm F/1.7 Pentax-A (a fantastic lens for ~$80)). Good glass is where it's at. The K-01 gets you fantastic image quality, and you can re-use the lenses with your next body. Plus you'll have more fun because you can experiment with various styles of shooting (manual focus, prime, zoom).

Unless you need super fast AF (for sports) or WR. If that's the case, then get the K-30 (with a WR lens). Make sure you are OK with the size - it's not small!

As you can see though, opinions are a dime a dozen!

Last edited by Doundounba; 04-08-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: 50mm F/1.7 not F/1.5!
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizowel Quote
Everyone assumes the DSLR's are the "top of the food chain" but in 10 years mirrorless cameras like the K-01 will have taken over. I am old enough to remember that before SLR's we all shot rangefinders and thought they were "the thing." Get the K-01 now at a super discount and get the 40mm lens on the cheap while you can. An fine second hand 18x50 zoom can be added later for under $100 if you decide you want or need one. You'll never see a 40XS for that kind of price. Personally however, if I'm going to lug around a zoom I prefer the Tamron 18x200. With that and the 40 you won't ever need much else.
I have no problem with mirrorless cameras but the low light auto focus of the k-01 does kind of suck compared to a dslr (even my old ist-ds). Despite that, I bought one because it is a very capable camera for the super low price (and I am on a very tight budget). The super low price is a one shot deal. They are being discontinued and you will probably never see them anywhere near this cheap again. Not having focus conformation for manual focus kind of sucks too. If money is not an issue at all, it might be good to get the k-01 now and a k-30 now or later. The 40mm lens sells for $250 so you are paying $130 for the camera. That is an unbelievable steal for a backup body (I got mine $20 cheaper). If getting the k-01, and if you plan on getting more lenses soon, the 40mm is the best bang for the buck by far. With the exception of some of the 40mm that have been pulled out of kits (which is also probably temporary due to all the cheap kits out there), auto focus primes are a couple of hundred dollars or more even used. There are no cheap auto focus primes, even used. There are plenty of cheap used auto focus zooms (especially if you don't mind older film lenses, some of which are very good). The older version of the pentax 18-55mm seems to be selling for 50-60$ used on ebay. An older tamron 28-200mm can sometimes be had as cheap as $40 (50-60 should be pretty easy). The smaller, lighter, newer xr(if) version goes for under $100 easy. I got the newer version, with a pentax f 100-300mm and a film body in perfect condition for $120 shipped. I have AF zoom lenses that I have gotten under $20 (granted, not top of the line lenses, but working lenses). There are some good sigmas that can be had cheap.

04-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

If you're OK about learning new skills, the K30 might be a good choice--as others have pointed out, it's "more" camera.

However, if you just want to go out and get some shots using technique most similar to what you already have, the K-01 is a great value.

Image quality is more or less equivalent, so it boils down to how you see yourself using the camera, both now and in the future.
04-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
K-01 all the way for me. I'm happy to trade the OVF for a cheaper and better looking camera My polar bear looks awesome with manual primes. Plus I often shoot with the camera way below of above eye level. A flip out LCD screen would be great. But I'm not ready to pay double for a NEX
04-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #22

Given your background, just start off with the K-01. Sure I wish the K01 had faster AF for action photography, but I'm not going to spend a lot more additional money when the K01 meets 90% of my shooting needs, you just work around it and make do. At the current prices, you won't lose much if you decide to upgrade to a K-30 (especially as the K-30 continues to drop in price) in the future as they take the same K mount lenses. I think the K30 is overkill at this stage and not everyone aims to shoot dslrs and have a collection of lenses for every situation possible. Lastly, with the K-01 in your hand, you would be a lot more stylish and hip.
04-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone for the replies. Color me surprised with the responses. Seems majority think that the k-30 would be the way to go. Money is always a factor but I can afford the k30, yet reading this site...everyone is having so much fun with the k01...I'll figure this out.

04-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Trik Quote
Seems majority think that the k-30 would be the way to go. Money is always a factor but I can afford the k30, yet reading this site...everyone is having so much fun with the k01...I'll figure this out.
K-01 is a fun camera, no better or no worse than the k-30. Just different. I have a k-5 and use it for work and serious photography. When I'm just having fun or want to toss a camera in the car I take the k-01. Same image quality, or nearly so, but without the weight. On the other hand there are lots of things that the k-5 (or k-30) is better at, and when I need those features the k-5 goes to work.

You will not go wrong with either, just decide what features you value the most and the decision becomes easy.
04-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Trik Quote
I want to thank everyone for the replies. Color me surprised with the responses. Seems majority think that the k-30 would be the way to go. Money is always a factor but I can afford the k30, yet reading this site...everyone is having so much fun with the k01...I'll figure this out.
If I could only have one or the other, it would be the k-30. You probably notice people talking about having multiple camera bodies. Sometimes one can do something the other can not. It could be a mater of having two toys to play with. If you make money from photography even if you are not really a hard core professional, a backup body is necessary in case your primary camera has an issue on a job. It could be someone wants a backup camera to throw in the glove box so they always have one handy )and its smaller and lighter).

They were not flying off the shelves at $800. Considering the 40mm is worth $250, they are flying off the shelf at $150 or less for the body if the person has use for the 40mm. Some are even getting that kit and selling the lens (there are several on ebay out of the kits) which still brings the camera in at under $200. Its not like it is junk. It has the same image sensor as the k-30 and will basically take pictures just as good. Its a very powerful tol, it just had limitations compared to a k-30. Its good enough I bought one as an upgrade from my old ist-ds and in many ways, it blows the ds away (though its not as good in a few ways). I felt it was an acceptable compromise considering the cost (getting a k-30 would be a bit harder to afford). I also have no auto focus primes and now I do have one. There are many reasons someone might want a second camera, or might wast a cheaper camera even if it is less capable (there are some people that will never buy \anything better than a $100 point and shoot). Not everyone wants to spend twice or more the money even if it does get them something better.

Long story short, there are many reasons someone might buy one, but the reason everyone is jumping all over them like hot cakes is the price. It is beyond a steal, especially in the 40mm kit. If I had the money where it would be easy to afford a k-30, I probably would, but I might still consider getting a k-01 as a backup due to the low price, especially if the 40mm was of interest to me (unless I am mistaken, the k-30 doesn't come in a kit with the 40mm).
04-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #26

I made this choice a few months ago and opted for the K-01 because of two video features; an external mic and a handy intervalometer in movie mode. Also being flat on three sides it becomes its own tripod in some situations, especially with the 40mm pancake. I heard it also takes pictures!

Were it weather sealed with a viewfinder the K-01 would have been a dynamite camera. But not an entry level one. Still special.
05-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #27

Hope all the replies don't make you even more confused

Buy K-30 first, if anything, it doesn't suit your need, you may easily sell it and buy a K-01.
Apparently, not the other way around.