Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Which is the Better Buy: K-01 or K-30?

First I wish to say hi to everyone, and thank you in advance for any help. I haven't purchased anything yet and at first I was going to buy the K30. Then as everyone knows, the price on the K-01 drops, so long story short, I can't resist what seems to be a great deal on what most people think is a great camera.
Now I'm as newbie as they get, I have a Nokia phone and have been using that as camera. Before that I had a Nikon Coolpix 3100 3.1Mp and that is it. So what is the better deal for the K-01, I have a choice of the kit with the 40mm XS for 380, or do I go for the kit with the 15-55mm and the 50-200mm kit for 440.
I've done all the reading i could, my gut, based on what i read is go with the 40mm and buy a zoom later. I figure you all know these lenses better than anyone else.
Once again, very nice to meet you all.

04-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is your only camera (and I do love my K-01) I'd go the K30. With a proper viewfinder, its simply 'more' of a camera.
04-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
If this is your only camera (and I do love my K-01) I'd go the K30. With a proper viewfinder, its simply 'more' of a camera.
I agree, I'd go with the K-30 also. Get the 18-55mm lens to start off with, and maybe add a 55-300mm later.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by John Trik Quote
First I wish to say hi to everyone, and thank you in advance for any help. I haven't purchased anything yet and at first I was going to buy the K30. Then as everyone knows, the price on the K-01 drops, so long story short, I can't resist what seems to be a great deal on what most people think is a great camera.
Now I'm as newbie as they get, I have a Nokia phone and have been using that as camera. Before that I had a Nikon Coolpix 3100 3.1Mp and that is it. So what is the better deal for the K-01, I have a choice of the kit with the 40mm XS for 380, or do I go for the kit with the 15-55mm and the 50-200mm kit for 440.
I've done all the reading i could, my gut, based on what i read is go with the 40mm and buy a zoom later. I figure you all know these lenses better than anyone else.
For the money you can't hardly beat the K-01. I got mine with the 40mm lens and use it all the time even though I have several other lenses and two DSLR's (all Pentax) that I could use instead. Sure there are some things a DSLR does better but not much and if you've never had one you won't miss any of that anyway.

04-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would go for the k-30, BUT that's me. It sounds like you don't have a lot of real camera experience and there is a big difference between the k-30 and the k-01. If I were you I would decide whether I want to go for a real DSLR or if you are more comfortable with using the LCD screen to take pictures.

Both will work, both are great cameras. I have k-5 and k-01 as my backup and really enjoy both of them but they handle very differently.

As to lenses, the k-01 with the 40mm is a real killer combination. But for the $60 difference I would go with the 2 lens kit, especially if this is your only camera, just plain more versatility that way. If you use it enough then think about getting the 40mm later.
04-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you were to get just one camera, I'd go with the K-30. I find that it's a bit better to have a proper viewfinder, and the K-30 is a bit more capable.

Composing with a viewfinder or an LCD may sound trivial, (they both work right?) but I find that the viewfinder allows me to hold the camera steadier. Meaning I can do a bit longer exposures hand held.
And if you ever decide to buy bigger, heavier lenses, they balance out better with the deeper grip of the K-30 vs the boxy grip of the K-01 (you can use both, but you will almost certainly enjoy the feel of the K-30 more IMO.)

For the lens, I'd suggest going with the 18-55mm kit lens until you know EXACTLY what you want. Trust me, it'll save you a lot of money. Finding what focal length you use most with a cheap zoom is better than going out and buying more expensive lenses only to find you don't use them.

The K-01 isn't bad. But there is a reason I use it as a backup for my K-30.

BTW, I came from a P&S / phone camera background.

Last edited by SpartanD63; 04-07-2013 at 10:08 PM.
04-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Only camera- go the K30 as above, the viewfinder with pentaprism no less - twin dials- general handling and WR all swing it in the K30s favour.
'If' you had something as low as a K10/K20 and some primes the K-01 would get the nod as it is an amazing complement to a traditional DSLR.
I have a K7 and will be shortly loosing my Kx so a K01 'for me' would really benefit.
04-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K30 is the better camera. A synergy of K5 and K01.

Other points :
1. Faster handling
2. More stable when holding due to having a viewfinder as a anchor point for holding stability
3. Better RAW fps rate

The K01 is better for only one thing (but that can be the key thing depending on needs)
It has faster shutter response in LV with the mirror mechanism.

04-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

I say go with the K01 and save some $. Since you come from a P&S background (like myself) you won't really notice the downsides (ie. no Viewfinder, slower AF / handling compared to a dslr). Also the slower AF of the K-01 is perfectly useable for most things you will shoot. I personally would go for the 40xs kit as it will give you better IQ, faster AF and a much lighter setup. I find the K-01 paired with the 18-55 kit a tad too heavy for general shooting (given the lack of grip and having to hold it in front). It would be a shame to invest in a K30 setup only to realise it's just all too big and heavy to take out.
04-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a X-5 and I'm looking at a K-30. I think the K-30 would be a better choice but not a better deal. Know what I mean?
04-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Tough call. If the price were the same I would go with the k-30 in a heart beat (I don't own the k-30 but have a much older ist-ds and recently bought the k-01). In a few ways even my old ds can beat the k-01 though the k-01 beats it in more ways. I have looked into newer cameras like the k-30 though as I planned on upgrading. The k-01 is half the price though especially considering the cost with the lenses. If you can spend the amount a k-30 cost without thinking twice, I would go that route. If money is an issue to you, the k-01 is certainly worth considering. That is why I went with the k-01 (the cost is hard to beat). If you get the k-01 kit with the 40mm then you are getting a $250 lens so the camera is only $130. You could always get a k-30 body only down the road and use the k-01 as a backup (if you get into photography enough to justify it).

As far as which lens, tough call. Its kind of a case of function vs quality. The zooms are going to give you a much more capable setup. The prime is going to give you better image quality. If I could only have one and would not buy more lenses I would go for the zooms. If buying more lenses isn't an issue, the 40mm seems more cost effective. If you are on a tight budget (or will be after buying the camera), it is much cheaper to get zooms than it is to get primes (I'm talking used, ebay, perhaps older even). There are no cheap AF primes. There are plenty of older AF zooms you can get cheap. If your budget allows for dropping hundreds each on a few lens without issue then I guess its just what you prefer. If budget is of greater concern, the k-01 is probably much better than what you have used (you won't know what you are missing with the k-30), and the price is a steal.
04-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well this is Always difficult. I would be leaning to the K-30, but really the K-01 can do a lot off tricks.

Down to your choices:
- K-01 with the 40mm xs lens
- K-30 with the kitlens

Don't buy slow lenses for the K-01, since the AF-system needs light to work with.
04-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this is Always difficult. I would be leaning to the K-30, but really the K-01 can do a lot off tricks.

Down to your choices:
- K-01 with the 40mm xs lens
- K-30 with the kitlens

Don't buy slow lenses for the K-01, since the AF-system needs light to work with.
Depending on your budget (fast glass is expensive), I wouldn't completely rule out slower glass as long as you know and understand its limitations. I went shooting at a naval museum couple of days ago using a da 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 and a tamron 28-200mm xr (if) 3.8-5.6. Lighting was bright daylight and reasonably bright room lighting inside the ships and sub. They both worked just beautifully. There was one time where the kids were laying on bottom bunks with bunks above them obstructing the light and the camera would not auto focus at all, but beyond that one instance the camera didn't stumble auto focusing once. Granted, longer focal lengths where f5.6 was forces was probably outdoor with plenty of light. They both performed beautifully.

In my house where the room light is dimer, anything 5.6 just completely chokes and dies. In the 4.? range sometimes it works ok (it hunts a lot more but will often get a lock). At 3.? it seems to do better but still hunts sometimes and can choke in darker areas). They are usable to a point with issues in my house.

There is no reason you can not have some faster glass and some slower glass as long as you realize the slower glass might choke in lower light (though you can manual focus). That is defiantly one of the big limitations of the k-01 over the k-30 though (low light AF performance). Even my old ist-ds beats the k-01 in low light for auto focus performance (image quality/high iso is another story).
04-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better buy - K-01. The run-out prices are ridiculous: more bang for your buck than any camera of any brand.
Better camera - K-30. Mind you, I would seriously consider a run-out (or second hand) K-5.
04-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by John Trik Quote
Everyone assumes the DSLR's are the "top of the food chain" but in 10 years mirrorless cameras like the K-01 will have taken over. I am old enough to remember that before SLR's we all shot rangefinders and thought they were "the thing." Get the K-01 now at a super discount and get the 40mm lens on the cheap while you can. An fine second hand 18x50 zoom can be added later for under $100 if you decide you want or need one. You'll never see a 40XS for that kind of price. Personally however, if I'm going to lug around a zoom I prefer the Tamron 18x200. With that and the 40 you won't ever need much else.