Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Q Use

Pentax Q
How of the early adopters of the Q are actually using this camera for general photography?
I see a lot experimenting and some amazing results, but is this the main interest for owners.

04-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimmoore Quote
Pentax Q
How of the early adopters of the Q are actually using this camera for general photography?
I see a lot experimenting and some amazing results, but is this the main interest for owners.
IMO it's nice for telephotos when you have time to set it up in the field and want to take advantage of the reach. However, I would never use it as a point-and-shoot as there's a good amount of shutter lag, and the AF isn't always the best. When I originally got mine I wanted to carry it around for everyday snapshots, but frankly, my phone is better speed-wise Not that I hate the Q, but even the MX-1 is better than a P&S, not to mention other compacts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimmoore Quote
Pentax Q
You should ask this in the Q forum. This is the K-01 forum.
04-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just check the "lets share shots with the Q" thread in the Q section of the forum and judge for yourself.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMO it's nice for telephotos when you have time to set it up in the field and want to take advantage of the reach. However, I would never use it as a point-and-shoot as there's a good amount of shutter lag, and the AF isn't always the best. When I originally got mine I wanted to carry it around for everyday snapshots, but frankly, my phone is better speed-wise Not that I hate the Q, but even the MX-1 is better than a P&S, not to mention other compacts.
A lot of us are using it both as a super-tele camera and general camera. Have you tried it with the new firmware? AF is blazing in comparison to the stock firmware.

04-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Just check the "lets share shots with the Q" thread in the Q section of the forum and judge for yourself.

A lot of us are using it both as a super-tele camera and general camera. Have you tried it with the new firmware? AF is blazing in comparison to the stock firmware.
It's better, but I wouldn't call it blazing-fast! The MX-1 does come close, though- with it, when you press the shutter button, it essentially takes the shot right away.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's better, but I wouldn't call it blazing-fast! The MX-1 does come close, though- with it, when you press the shutter button, it essentially takes the shot right away.
I wrote "blazing compared to the stock", not blazing compared to the best ones in the AF section.
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I wrote "blazing compared to the stock", not blazing compared to the best ones in the AF section.
Fair enough! At least Pentax is making an effort to improve the performance of the Q and get it in the hands of more people

Adam

04-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You should ask this in the Q forum. This is the K-01 forum.

Correct can this be moved please.

Jim
04-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
FAO Adam

Thought you would be interested to hear how this ended.
With your comments ringing in my ears I marched off to my local Pentax dealer.

Had a look at the Q but decided that it looked like the start of a new collecting bug, so I then looked at the MX1.
I left with the MX1, I have been very surprised by the quality of the output from this camera, you said that it had a good lens.

This is to be used as a small pocketable camera for when I don’t want to take my K5 plus primes.

Thanks for you help.

Jim
04-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

MX1 looks like a great camera so congratz!