Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Is it a total replacement for my DSLR? no it isn't, as there are some things that it is not good for. But apart from that, I would say i can take 99% of the pictures without a problem with it.
With a hybrid AF and an EVF(some will insist), It could be a total DSLR replacement, with many advantages. It's too bad the series won't be given a chance. Add in some more serious video features and it could be a real winner.

04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #62
Site Supporter

I guess this is as good a place to ask this as anywhere.

How bad is using the LCD in normal daylight? I have a K30 but at the current price I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a K-01 for the next time I travel. Pair the K-01 with my 35mm f2.4, DA*55 and 77 Limited (and maybe a 15 or 21). Considering that it's basically the K30 sensor in a more quiet, slightly smaller package, it seems perfect for shooting indoors where a P&S won't. But I'm concerned about it being hampered for outdoors street shooting due to the LCD washing out.

Shame the AF isn't up to action shots or I'd throw a fast prime on it as a 2nd camera when I'm shooting concerts to save changing lenses.
04-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MBT74 Quote

How bad is using the LCD in normal daylight? I have a K30 but at the current price I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a K-01 for the next time I travel. Pair the K-01 with my 35mm f2.4, DA*55 and 77 Limited (and maybe a 15 or 21). Considering that it's basically the K30 sensor in a more quiet, slightly smaller package, it seems perfect for shooting indoors where a P&S won't. But I'm concerned about it being hampered for outdoors street shooting due to the LCD washing out.

Shame the AF isn't up to action shots or I'd throw a fast prime on it as a 2nd camera when I'm shooting concerts to save changing lenses.
You are going to get answers all over the place here. I've read time and time again that it is "unusable" or "impossible" in bright sunlight. And yet, I've got hundreds of flower shots I took outdoors in bright sunlight, many with manual-focus lenses. Is it ideal? No, it takes some work, and can be annoying. I guess the thing to do is try using LiveView outside with your K-30, and see how high your threshold for pain is.
04-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #64
Veteran Member

How fast are these people moving? You can pre-focus, zone focus, use focus peaking and the tracking focus really isn't so bad either. I don't own one but I've spent time with one to teach a friend how to use it. I'm sure the quiet operation would be appreciated at a concert. I haven't tested it in the sun, but it supposedly has a polarized screen to help out with glare. You can always get a visor for it, or a loupe.

04-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
How fast are these people moving? You can pre-focus, zone focus, use focus peaking and the tracking focus really isn't so bad either. I don't own one but I've spent time with one to teach a friend how to use it. I'm sure the quiet operation would be appreciated at a concert. I haven't tested it in the sun, but it supposedly has a polarized screen to help out with glare. You can always get a visor for it, or a loupe.
Normal toddler movement seems to tax its ability to focus and for casual shooting the pre-focus, zone focus, etc. are less practical than using AF but are possible. Like everything else though there are limits.
04-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I think the LCD is very usable in sunlight. As far as auto focus, it may not be great, but manual focus is really simple due to focus peaking. A whole lot easier than on my K5.
04-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Normal toddler movement seems to tax its ability to focus and for casual shooting the pre-focus, zone focus, etc. are less practical than using AF but are possible. Like everything else though there are limits.
A concert the movements are much more predictable(but that's why I asked how fast they were moving), but I have no trouble keeping up with my daughter with MF on my NEX. Focus peaking really is excellent, and makes setting up a zone a snap. I tested the tracking focus on the k-01. If you don't expect a 100% keeper rate it's not bad. If you shoot JPEG it's pretty usable. I guess it's all about expectations.
04-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Since last July I think I must have missed 2 or 3 shots because of the sun.

Also I wouldn't call concerts "action shots". I'm usually using the K-01 for street shooting (i.e. people walking) and with a fast focusing lens the AF speed is sufficient.

04-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Some suggested turning the LCD brightness all the way would work better in bright sunlight, that's what I do anyway, it helps when I go to the beach with K-01 on a sunny day.
04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Get an LCD hood. I use a Delkin universal.
04-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
No disrespect, but your continued comments about the 'ugly' looks of the K-01 (in your opinion) will not change my, or most other owners, opinion about this camera.
Perhaps give it/us a break?
+1 1000 times. And to a number of others as well. And I can sing.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-13-2013 at 03:23 PM.
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #72
Site Supporter

I like the looks of my yellow K-01. Lcd in the sun can be an issue once in a while. But even optical viewfinders have trouble with side or rear light sources.
thanks
barondla
01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #73
Site Supporter

I've just bought one partly because they have become so inexpensive, and partly because I suspect the K-01 is a future classic, but mainly because it's 'different'.
01-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #74
Site Supporter

Got one....white, body only, (already have a 40XS) original box, charger, two batteries, cables, software, genuine remote control, immaculate condition. 155. ($257?) screen protector, low actuations.
Upgraded to firmware 1.04.......using it, great fun so far around the house and family......who could NOT like this? (at THIS sort of price)
01-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #75
Pentaxian

How bad is using the LCD in normal daylight?
In my opinion... It really is awful. One day I went to take some photos out at the ranch in our renowned Texas summer sun, and it was hard to even tell what I had the K-01 pointed at. Today, a slightly overcast January day, I was taking a photo of some old structures, and I could dimly see what I was framing, but manual focus didn't work for me. Whether it's "unusable" for you depends on several factors, including what you're trying to do. There are also ways to mitigate the problem, but all of them involve some degree of awkwardness and inconvenience. I was forced to conclude the K-01 (or any other without some kind of viewfinder) can't be my primary camera.