Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote
....., sony, toshiba, panasonic and hitachi still make them.
"Interchangeable Back" cameras still don't look anything like a MILC tho'. For starters, they have EVF's hanging off the front, and no LCD.

File:Betacam SP camera.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Audio and recording part of that one is removable, usually to be replaced with either a TriAx back to be used in conjunction with a CCU at the other end of the cable, or to be replaced with a recorder with a different form of tape drive or optical media recorder.

06-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #122

http://sites.duke.edu/nab2012/files/2012/05/hdl45e.jpg
http://www.adorama.com/images/300x300/toikhr1cd.jpg

there's no viewfinder coming off these guys. meant the shape of the camera more than anything else -- box with a lens mount -- yeah there's an lcd, for all intents and purposes you could forget it existed if there were hdmi out in live view, at which point, you could mount a viewfinder, external monitor, external recorder, run in sound through a field mixer -- do all the modular camera things, and it wouldn't oddly bulge out of all of it with a bunch of weird surfaces
06-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Both those bodies are 'remote operated' cameras, they're not 'ENG', though they can be used on sports.
You'd find those rigged up on the side of NASCAR tracks, where it's unsafe to put a human operator.
In a studio, they'd be fixed mount camera, such as used for the Weather person, pointing at the green screen, or the 'Robot' rigs used in some News networks studios.

What makes an ENG camera, is the shoulder mount and classic viewfinder, so the camera can be used on the shoulder, the rest of the body is built to match that form factor.
06-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #124

brick: https://s3.amazonaws.com/red_3/uploads/asset_image/image/50983af12f74a91aac0...letBrain_L.png
selfcontained monolith brick: http://www.for-a.com/products/ftone/FT-ONE_Pers_Back.jpg
old brick on a rig: Professional video camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if it's missing a viewfinder, you can add a viewfinder: http://www.cameraworks.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/P1010674.jpg
if it's missing a shoulder mount, you can add a shoulder mount: http://letusdslr.com/files/7312/9175/9248/letus-talon-k1-complete-shoulder-2.jpg
ditto recorder, mixer, etc.

modularity seems like a new hot trend now, but cobbled together stuff (studio heads can be remote controlled, or they can be shoulder mounted and outfitted with other parts) is neither new nor is it novel.

06-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #125
Pentaxian

The Scarlet's no ENG camera. Nothing from Red is.

These stats on the FT-One should explain why it'll never be an ENG camera.
232 (W) x 294 (H) x 393 (D) mm (excluding protrusions)
7.5 kg (fully equipped with options: 8.6 kg)

That Ikegami is a classic, but is definitely not the same shape as the others - see how the viewfinder is intergrated in to the design?
Sure, modern ones are removable, but the way they're laid out owes allot to the success of camera's like that one.

And still, none of those are remotely close to the shape and format of the K-01.
The only body's of the same layout as MILC's, is the Blackmagics..... And their new 'studio' camera is a joke - the screen doesn't tilt!! How are you gonna see to focus in the studio when the camera's pointing up or down at something?

Point being, an " ENG " camera, has the viewfinder and shoulder-mount and oblong format with the weight of the battery balancing the body on the shoulder.
If you need to add bits and rigs to it, it ain't an ENG camera.

Gotta love For-A as a company too.
A student TV group I was part of had an old For-A Analog vision switcher, that they used to use for live SD broadcasts feeding to the local community TV station.
I was part of a motorsport show on the same station, and as an ex-member, was able to borrow gear for when the Motorsport show did ''live to tape' recordings out at racetracks.
We had the For-A for a couple, and even though it was 'legacy' equipment by then, the techs at For-A in Japan were still able to pull out the operations and service manuals and send us copies, so myself and a fellow tech head could do a full strip, clean, service, and re-alignment of the vision switcher, cleaning up it's output immeasurably.
We were able to run multiple DV cameras in to the For-A switcher, mix the program, and record to a Pentuim4 based Lenovo Z60m laptop of mine, via my Canopus ADVC-100 box.
Recorded vision was of nearly identical quality as that if we had shot on DV and edited later, but we saved a heap of time by going live to tape, and ensured the program made it to air on time.

This was all in the time before Digital Broadcast began in Australia.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 06-20-2014 at 05:23 AM.
06-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #126

modular system cameras Are used in eng though -- there's tons of available information from working professionals who use modular systems to just such a purpose, and an industry built on it. before there even were integrated cameras to do the job, the first ENG cameras were cobbled together from other existing components. modularity's the rule, not the exception.
08-24-2014, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #127
Forum Member

Your image is only as good as your GLASS! Most enthusiasts can't justify investing in new top of the line digital lenses every time they 'upgrade' their digital cameras!
Ricoh's innovation with the K-01 gave us the opportunity to use our TOP QUALITY Pentax lenses (manual and AF) with this super responsive MIRRORLESS body at a fraction of the cost of any other camera with high quality sensors! I personally don't care WHAT it looks like, especially when I see the fantastic images it produces! Thanks Ricoh!
08-24-2014, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #128
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxaholic Quote
Your image is only as good as your GLASS! Most enthusiasts can't justify investing in new top of the line digital lenses every time they 'upgrade' their digital cameras!
Ricoh's innovation with the K-01 gave us the opportunity to use our TOP QUALITY Pentax lenses (manual and AF) with this super responsive MIRRORLESS body at a fraction of the cost of any other camera with high quality sensors! I personally don't care WHAT it looks like, especially when I see the fantastic images it produces! Thanks Ricoh!
AGREE

I have adapted the 'unloved brick' for macro (added a custom viewfinder - works a treat). I also put my top quality glass on it. See xposted photos below if you think the K01 is terrible (conflict of interest statement - I own two including the yellow version)

08-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
^
That pic is fantastic.

---------- Post added 08-24-14 at 10:22 PM ----------

Um, when the K-01 came to market, there were cameras with comparable - or better - sensors available in the same price range. In fact, even by Pentax.

The only reason the K-01 became so cheap is because it was a sales failure in most markets.
08-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #130
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
AGREE

I have adapted the 'unloved brick' for macro (added a custom viewfinder - works a treat). I also put my top quality glass on it. See xposted photos below if you think the K01 is terrible (conflict of interest statement - I own two including the yellow version)
By "custom viewfinder" do you mean something I can't buy?
08-24-2014, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
By "custom viewfinder" do you mean something I can't buy?
It is a Sony viewfinder for the 'Mavica' camera

Sony Mavica CD300 Review: Features & Controls - Steves Digicams

If you can find one in its original box (i..e retains the plastic packaging insert covering the window to the mirror) then you can do as I did. I used the plastic insert (designed to protect the mirror) as the means for attaching the viewfinder to the camera. I cut a window into the plastic insert then used strong doublesided tape to affix to the LCD. By doing this the viewfinder can be detached/ attached without too much bother.

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 02:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
^
That pic is fantastic.

Um, when the K-01 came to market, there were cameras with comparable - or better - sensors available in the same price range. In fact, even by Pentax.

The only reason the K-01 became so cheap is because it was a sales failure in most markets.
Thanks I used the FA31mm for that pick - easy picture to take - point and shoot
08-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #132
Site Supporter

It is a Sony viewfinder for the 'Mavica' camera

Sony Mavica CD300 Review: Features & Controls - Steves Digicams

If you can find one in its original box (i..e retains the plastic packaging insert covering the window to the mirror) then you can do as I did. I used the plastic insert (designed to protect the mirror) as the means for attaching the viewfinder to the camera. I cut a window into the plastic insert then used strong doublesided tape to affix to the LCD. By doing this the viewfinder can be detached/ attached without too much bother.

Genius
08-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #133
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
^
That pic is fantastic.

So their loss is OUR GAIN!

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 10:17 AM ----------

AGREE

A picture paints a THOUSAND words! Thanks for making a point so vividly clear!
Is anyone going to ask you what your camera LOOKED LIKE when they see this picture? LOL
08-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #134
Site Supporter

So their loss is OUR GAIN!

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 10:17 AM ----------

A picture paints a THOUSAND words! Thanks for making a point so vividly clear!
Is anyone going to ask you what your camera LOOKED LIKE when they see this picture? LOL
No I suspect not. In fact if you run around with an expensive looking setup you are likely to attract unnecessary interest and expectation. That can actually make it harder to get that magic shot.

As a contrast I used my K5 with FA 80-200/2.8 and A* 200mm f4 macro on the weekend at two parties. I got comments like - wow that is a massive lens etc (insert phallic symbols / analogies etc). Fortunately, people didnt realise I was shooting until I had already filled a card (such reach gave me opportunity to operate without being noticed). As soon as everyone realised I was shooting it got harder to get good shots....... on the other hand the K01 with a smallish lens is so discrete - I could have operated that way and got equally good shots without even being noticed (my most favorite K01 telephoto setup is with the SMC Pentax F 135mm 2.8 with IF - very compact yet powerful).
08-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #135
Site Supporter

I just think that paired with a DA limited or FA limited, you can't beat it. High image quality, sharp lenses and compact size.