Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's one of the bizarre things about the K-01 - the ergonomics are so bad, they're good. Some K-01 users have said it actually works better with thick gloves than a dSLR. The green button is poorly located if you are using a conventional dSLR grip, but if you use the thumb-on-shutter grip, it's easy to get to.

I find I can use one all day without my fingers getting stiff and sore, but not my dSLRs - partly because I can constantly shift grips, where there's really only one way to hold a dSLR with a sculpted grip.

Your mileage may vary - no guarantee is expressed or implied.

04-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Well, it seems that a non-negligible amount of people see a camera as a fashion accessory instead of a tool which can be used to actually take pictures. So I guess that instead of hiring an industrial designer Pentax should have asked Jean-Paul Gaultier or Karl Lagerfeld to design the brick.
Well, with Lagerfeld, we'd get a camera requiring gloves to operate....do,we really want that
04-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Even if you've never actually held one, are you honestly saying the camera on the left looks ugly and toy-like to you compared to the one on the right?

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing at all. Where is the ugliness in its clean lines compared to the amorphous black blob and mess of buttons and icons of an EOS? And what specifically is toy-like about it compared to the EOS?
Try looking at the front of the camera.... :P That should answer those questions quite nicely.
04-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Try looking at the front of the camera.... :P That should answer those questions quite nicely.
No disrespect, but your continued comments about the 'ugly' looks of the K-01 (in your opinion) will not change my, or most other owners, opinion about this camera.
Perhaps give it/us a break?

04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Well, with Lagerfeld, we'd get a camera requiring gloves to operate....do,we really want that

Of course we do, it's way more classy with gloves
04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I think Pentax had the K-01 design completed and then asked Mark Newson to style the surface.
No...In manufacturing a new product is the designers create the looks first, then the engineers try to fit all the parts inside. They usually curse the designers.
04-09-2013, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
No...In manufacturing a new product is the designers create the looks first, then the engineers try to fit all the parts inside. They usually curse the designers.
Then the poor guys who have to manufacture them curse them both.

04-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

lol regarding the comments about EVF.. it has an EVF, its just huge and takes up most of the back side
(yes yes, I know that by EVF you mean an electronic clone of a classical SLR OVF and not the stock screen. Then again, on the few P&S cameras I had, I never used the viewfinder, always just the "big" screen)
04-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That's one of the bizarre things about the K-01 - the ergonomics are so bad, they're good. Some K-01 users have said it actually works better with thick gloves than a dSLR. The green button is poorly located if you are using a conventional dSLR grip, but if you use the thumb-on-shutter grip, it's easy to get to.

I find I can use one all day without my fingers getting stiff and sore, but not my dSLRs - partly because I can constantly shift grips, where there's really only one way to hold a dSLR with a sculpted grip.

Your mileage may vary - no guarantee is expressed or implied.
If your hands get stiff with your dSLR you might try a grip with it. It allows me much greater flexibility despite the added weight. I find it much easier to hold over long periods than the smaller K-5 without the grip.
04-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If your hands get stiff with your dSLR you might try a grip with it. It allows me much greater flexibility despite the added weight. I find it much easier to hold over long periods than the smaller K-5 without the grip.
I used a grip in my film days, and had the same problem (but not as bad - younger hands and all that). That's why I have a "less is more" mindset these days.
04-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #56
Veteran Member

It's interesting to see that on this website the best-selling ILC :

- has no viewfinder (even optional)
- has no built-in flash
- has a slow AF which has been jeered on every photo-related website
- needs an adaptor to mount the other lenses of the brand
- has an ordinary design to say the least (I prefer the K-01)
- was launched at the same price as the K-01 and is still twice more expensive

http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/

So do we have to conclude that Pentax should have done that ?
04-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #57
Pentaxian

That's enough to make you want to learn japanese.
04-10-2013, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's interesting to see that on this website the best-selling ILC :

- has no viewfinder (even optional)
- has no built-in flash
- has a slow AF which has been jeered on every photo-related website
- needs an adaptor to mount the other lenses of the brand
- has an ordinary design to say the least (I prefer the K-01)
- was launched at the same price as the K-01 and is still twice more expensive
You forgot to mention the inferior sensor.

So do we have to conclude that Pentax should have done that ?
It appears the only mistake Pentax made was not calling it a Canon K-01.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-10-2013 at 07:28 AM.
04-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You forgot to mention the inferior sensor.

It appears the only mistake Pentax made was not calling it a Canon K-01.
I guess it's the sad truth
04-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Ha ha ha ha Magkelly.
Yeah well it is a bit ugly, but I guess I could put up with that if I really wanted one. Which I don't.
I'm thinking more in terms of the handling.
Like, no view finder...How the hell are you gonna take a photo anywhere with bright lights around you or on a bright sunny day ?
Nothing to grip on to and buttons and dials in the wrong place. Plus I need a mirror to comb my hair.

Things can only get worse...I hear that next year Estée Lauder is designing Mark Webber's F1 race car, and Gucci is designing the next space shuttle.

P.S. Sorry to those who love the K-01. It's just not my cup of tea.
Excactly, I wonder how do all those people with Cameraphones take pictures, How can they see without an EVF, it's just ridiculous

I do have one, and haven't had real problems in sunny weather yet. Also the looks, couldn't care less. It takes fabulous pictures, and that is what coun'ts in my book.
Is it a total replacement for my DSLR? no it isn't, as there are some things that it is not good for. But apart from that, I would say i can take 99% of the pictures without a problem with it.