Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #91

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

After owning the K-01 for several weeks, the only criticism that I can understand from a shooting point of view of the camera is the lack of a viewfinder. For me, all the buttons are reachable, the grip is great, the design is 21st century all the way, and the rubber flap is secure. The ease of shooting with a 30 year old manual lens using the green button and focus peaking is phenomenal. By the way, the photos out of this little camera are wonderful; I don't mess with color temperature in Lightroom at all and 16Mp is plenty for pixel peeping. I think that it all comes down to a design issue; people want their cameras to look like something out of the 1950's to feel like legitimate photographers. I'd rather people not take me that seriously, so the yellow brick works for me.

03-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #92
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Just got a HoodLoupe 3.0 this morning for my yellow brick. Man... I wish I'd sprung for one of these sooner! It really does make a huge difference in high-glare situations. In some ways it's better than having a built-in EVF, at least for those of us who are generally comfortable using the LCD instead of a viewfinder.
Should get one, today in full sun the screen was washed out, and I was using the "sunny 16" rule, fully manual for two shots. I could not see how they turned out, so I took one more with the green button. When I got home, I was able to see the camera exposed shot was overexposed, and the "sunny 16" shots were dead on. A hood would have healped for focus, even though in full sun, you always know the exposure, as long as your subject is also in full sun.
03-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #93

Photos: Albums
I was at the beach all week and really got a feel for using my K-01 in direct sunlight. For the most part I was able to see the screen just fine, but there were times when it was quite difficult to see what was being focused on (sun directly behind and overhead). I'll eventually opt for a HoodLoupe as well, for those extra sunny moments. Here's one of my favorites taken from the sand:

I have fallen in love with this camera, and feel excited to go shooting every time I pick it up. Coming from an iPhone, this was actually a step up for me and I honestly wonder whether I would have had the same consistent motivation and yearning to learn photography had I had opted for a more traditional-looking DSLR. Maybe that's just me, though.
03-21-2014, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #94

I personally get this K-01 camera a few weeks ago and have to say this is love at first sight.

If the design question is an extra polarizing question, I'm on the extreme positive side

The K-01 design is outstanding and "feel" is as good as on other Pentax camera: a lot higher end finishing than on other "all plastic" cams.

My "Pros" against DSLR (K5 for example):
- Design: with a PKA 50mm this camera looks great !
- Lighter (even if not so significant, but the loss of weight is really there)
- Smaller (even if not so significant, but the loss of height is really there)
- Such a Silence when using it (the K5 whisper is now a disturbing shoult ! -just a little exaggerating- )
- LiveView shooting so optimized in front of DSLR's
- Focusing with manual focus lens is so easy with this camera !
- So inexpensive, even with a double lens kit !
- Design ! Ah, yes, I've mentioned it yet, but I have to repeat it in front of the conservatism of other DSLRs

My "Cons" against DSLR (K5 for example):
- Sunny shots (yes, even if they are "makable", it's not so confortable than with a visor, have to admit it).
- No Grip, such a shame

I'm so happy with this, than I bought his little brother, the Q, for my wife.
And we are agree to say that, when Pentax get out of the usual lines with their products, they do such a great job, but, like it was said before, this job is usually understood.

03-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #95
Veteran Member

K-01--a great tool for infrared

I recently purchased a used K-01 that I had modified for IR photography. It is well suited for that purpose, because of its extremely accurate LiveView CDAF , which is very important for IR due to inherent backfocusing issues. The camera handles well and is very fast. An EVF would be nice to have, but I have learned to live without it.

Rob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I recently purchased a used K-01 that I had modified for IR photography. It is well suited for that purpose, because of its extremely accurate LiveView CDAF , which is very important for IR due to inherent backfocusing issues. The camera handles well and is very fast. An EVF would be nice to have, but I have learned to live without it.

Rob
Can you tell us more about your K-1 conversion? Cost? Difficulty? etc. I am interested in doing this. Thanks.

---------- Post added 03-26-14 at 09:39 AM ----------

Well, I just got back my yellow K-1 from CHRIS. The problem was that the on-board flash would no longer pop up automatically, manually, or any other way. I got it back in 8 days flat from the time I mailed it. They fixed the problem and cleaned and adjusted the camera as well.
Put me down as a Ricoh-Pentax-CHRIS happy camper.
03-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Can you tell us more about your K-1 conversion? Cost? Difficulty? etc. I am interested in doing this. Thanks.

---------- Post added 03-26-14 at 09:39 AM ----------

Well, I just got back my yellow K-1 from CHRIS. The problem was that the on-board flash would no longer pop up automatically, manually, or any other way. I got it back in 8 days flat from the time I mailed it. They fixed the problem and cleaned and adjusted the camera as well.
Put me down as a Ricoh-Pentax-CHRIS happy camper.
I read on this forum about a fellow in Arkansas who does IR conversions of most cameras, including Pentax. His name is Isaac Szabo, and here is his ebay listing: szabophotography | eBay

I chose the 720nm filter, which is the standard IR filter that blocks almost all visible light. Other filters are available, although I don't know if Isaac uses them. As far as I can tell, the work was very professionally done, and I am quite satisfied with the results. All that the customer has to do is ship the camera to Isaac and wait for him to ship it back. Cost is $200. There are some fancier and more expensive conversion outfits (e.g. MaxMax and Life Pixel) that are reluctant to work on Pentax cameras or simply decline to do so. I have no idea if their product is superior, but the point is moot, as they are Pentax-phobic.

Rob

03-26-2014, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I read on this forum about a fellow in Arkansas who does IR conversions of most cameras, including Pentax. His name is Isaac Szabo, and here is his ebay listing: szabophotography | eBay

I chose the 720nm filter, which is the standard IR filter that blocks almost all visible light. Other filters are available, although I don't know if Isaac uses them. As far as I can tell, the work was very professionally done, and I am quite satisfied with the results. All that the customer has to do is ship the camera to Isaac and wait for him to ship it back. Cost is $200. There are some fancier and more expensive conversion outfits (e.g. MaxMax and Life Pixel) that are reluctant to work on Pentax cameras or simply decline to do so. I have no idea if their product is superior, but the point is moot, as they are Pentax-phobic.

Rob
I got my K-01 back from Isaac about a month ago. He offers different filter intensities, including full spectrum. I too chose 720nm. I can attest that he is very quick, responsive, and professional. IMO, the K-01 is the perfect camera for IR conversion. I took these over the weekend...

03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I got my K-01 back from Isaac about a month ago. He offers different filter intensities, including full spectrum. I too chose 720nm. I can attest that he is very quick, responsive, and professional. IMO, the K-01 is the perfect camera for IR conversion. I took these over the weekend...

Geomez,

Isaac provides a Photoshop action for processing the IR files. Do you use it? I do not.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of digital color IR photography is the huge latitude that one has in post-processing. After all, there are no true colors, only false colors, which frees the photographer from the requirement to produce images that approximate reality. What this means is that every image is an experiment: Try one approach and then another and then another until you get something that is pleasing. I suppose that as one gains experience working with IR files, a somewhat standardized workflow will evolve, but I have not yet reached that point.

Rob
03-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Geomez,

Isaac provides a Photoshop action for processing the IR files. Do you use it? I do not.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of digital color IR photography is the huge latitude that one has in post-processing. After all, there are no true colors, only false colors, which frees the photographer from the requirement to produce images that approximate reality. What this means is that every image is an experiment: Try one approach and then another and then another until you get something that is pleasing. I suppose that as one gains experience working with IR files, a somewhat standardized workflow will evolve, but I have not yet reached that point.

Rob
Rob, I don't use his photoshop action. I would try it but I don't know how to download and apply actions
I don't think I'd gain anything if I did. Like you said, I IR offers huge latitude in pp. I'm fairly adept at playing with color on my own in photoshop.

I love IR though. I keep learning from it on a near daily basis. Yesterday I was trying to take pictures of a flower with ants on it. The only problem was the ants were nearly impossible to see because the ants were the same color as the flower, and hid within its texture. When I tried the shot in IR they were easily visible, and I was able to get a shot.

Last edited by geomez; 03-28-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added picture
03-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #101

I've owned a k-01 for over a year, and it's still and odd duck to me. Massive compared to other mirrorless cameras, no EVF, and terrible AF, but the sensor and the reduced price made it too good to pass up.

If I limit myself to using either my Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 10-20, I can get some really awesome pictures, but anything longer than that, and the handling just becomes too awkward for me.
03-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
I've owned a k-01 for over a year, and it's still and odd duck to me. Massive compared to other mirrorless cameras, no EVF, and terrible AF, but the sensor and the reduced price made it too good to pass up.

If I limit myself to using either my Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 10-20, I can get some really awesome pictures, but anything longer than that, and the handling just becomes too awkward for me.
I think you are right 01 handles awkwardly with longer lens, but if you can find a way to prop it up, it sure makes nice bird pictures with the Tamron 70-300!
03-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
... terrible AF
AF seems fine to me.
This probably is down to which lens you stick on it. I use the Tamron 17-50mm 99% of the time, AF is great.
03-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
AF seems fine to me.
This probably is down to which lens you stick on it. I use the Tamron 17-50mm 99% of the time, AF is great.
Ditto. My Tammy 17-50 does great in IQ and AF.
03-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I think you are right 01 handles awkwardly with longer lens,
lol,... I had a pair of 200mm zooms, just picked up a 100-300 and a 400mm prime.

It's a challenge using the 400 (which is about a foot long), especially when adding a 2x Teleconvertor, but the K-01 produces some interesting images with it.