Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Suggestion re: long macro lenses.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I am praising the amount of choice I get for long-ish macro in k-mount, with the Tamron 90mm, the various Pentax 100s, the Sigma 105mm and various top-quality older MF options. (Plus a few even longer lenses, as you mentioned.) I've been very happy shooting macro with the K-01! For Fuji, the longest 1:1 macro is a Zeiss 50mm - way too short. In m4/3, things are a bit better, but not great. There's the Olympus 60mm which, with the smaller sensor, comes close to the FoV of a 90mm on an APS-C body. But it's still shorter, and modifiers like the Raynox diopters work better with longer focal lengths. So while I am tempted by m4/3, there's a relative weakness there with respect to macro, which is my main thing right now. Some would say use adapters, but most adapters don't even hold the aperture open, and I know from using reversed lenses that trying to see the subject with a lens at F/16 in the way is neither fun nor easy. The exception, I believe, are four thirds lenses, where the adapters for m4/3 allow normal aperture operation (ie the lens remains fully open until you press the shutter).

So if I wanted to move from Pentax to m4/3, I'd have to hunt for a nice, used four thirds macro lens on fleabay. That's certainly a possibility, but it puts a damper on my enthusiasm for m4/3...

But damn, I'd really like Pentax to give me a tilting LCD! And not because of the sun. Rather because in shooting macro, I often wind up with the camera at odd angles and having the option to tilt the LCD would make things waaaayyyy easier... I can't fathom why Pentax can put one on the bloody 645z but can't be bothered to do the same for the K-S1.

09-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #152
Forum Member

focus peaking

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I think the word I have for the K-01 is "bemusing"

It has the sensor of the K5, but the functionality of a P&S. It has SOME K5 advanced features, but the implementation for hardcore photographers is frustrating.

I bought a K-01 when the price was dropped to 249 as a backup to my K5iis. After 2 weeks of experimentation, I gave it to my GF as her first interchangeable lens camera. That lasted 5 months before she went out and bought a K-30 and gave me back the K-01.

The ergonomics of the camera is fine if you use small primes, but any big fast zooms are impossible to deal with, the set up is just too front heavy. The CDAF was worthless for moving objects, literally requiring the user to shoot movies instead of stills and pulling JPEGs off the movie. So pretty much using it for anything other than tripod work was maddeningly frustrating.

So use it for outdoor landscape work? The screen was difficult to see in sunlight. The remote sensor was ONLY in the front (wow really annoying!!) and manual focus was next to impossible. I found metering to be inconsistent, and only shooting to a histogram yielded consistent results. How many P&S transition types you think had a clue what a histogram even is/was?

All debates about looks aside, It was a camera stuck between markets and demographics. It was priced for higher end users yet its appeal should have been P&S tweeners who didn't want a full fledged dslr but grew up on iphones and other shoot from the back screen devices. Even these users, like my GF, quickly outgrow it. What I'll call "serious" photogs simply found its limitations to be flaws with no work around, so it was relegated to a non status (ie stuck on a shelf or sold). At $800 launch price, I would have expected it to have performed much better in at least some aspect, and I would have been seriously peeved had I spent $800, expecting it to be my primary camera.

I have since sold my K-01 to a P&S transition type, and he loves it, because the image quality of the APS-C sensor is such an upgrade from what he was using. He's teaching himself all about the basics of photography, experimenting with Av, TaV and Manual modes, in the mean time taking pics of his kid and pets. I suspect he will love this camera for as long as he doesn't get too serious and stays in the facebook poster, family album realm of shooting. Once his kid gets old enough to get into sports, the K-01 will fail him and he will move on. I have sold him as a package 2 decent low end pentax lenses, so hopefully he will stay with the K-mount.

Maybe that was the purpose of the K-01... Pentax crack. It was only meant to be a hook into the K-mount world, with no intention of ever leaving you satisfied over the long haul.

I find the K-01 great for apature priority, manual shutter speed, and manual focus. If you can see the screen enough to frame , with focus peaking you can nail focus at the oddest angles (if that is what you are going for)-thats "hardcore".

Last edited by valarie; 09-12-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: interjection
09-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I am praising the amount of choice I get for long-ish macro in k-mount, with the Tamron 90mm, the various Pentax 100s, the Sigma 105mm and various top-quality older MF options. (Plus a few even longer lenses, as you mentioned.) I've been very happy shooting macro with the K-01! For Fuji, the longest 1:1 macro is a Zeiss 50mm - way too short. In m4/3, things are a bit better, but not great. There's the Olympus 60mm which, with the smaller sensor, comes close to the FoV of a 90mm on an APS-C body. But it's still shorter, and modifiers like the Raynox diopters work better with longer focal lengths. So while I am tempted by m4/3, there's a relative weakness there with respect to macro, which is my main thing right now. Some would say use adapters, but most adapters don't even hold the aperture open, and I know from using reversed lenses that trying to see the subject with a lens at F/16 in the way is neither fun nor easy. The exception, I believe, are four thirds lenses, where the adapters for m4/3 allow normal aperture operation (ie the lens remains fully open until you press the shutter).

So if I wanted to move from Pentax to m4/3, I'd have to hunt for a nice, used four thirds macro lens on fleabay. That's certainly a possibility, but it puts a damper on my enthusiasm for m4/3...

But damn, I'd really like Pentax to give me a tilting LCD! And not because of the sun. Rather because in shooting macro, I often wind up with the camera at odd angles and having the option to tilt the LCD would make things waaaayyyy easier... I can't fathom why Pentax can put one on the bloody 645z but can't be bothered to do the same for the K-S1.
are

My error - no beef with you there!

I really do believe that the K01 is really god for macro. With the viewfinder attachment there is plenty of scope for good photography. I have most of the macro lenses you speak of and yes they are quite good.

Those how complain about the shutter misunderstand the approach. 2 sec delay is perfect esxpecially when using a tripod. The degraded AA filter makes it work so much better than the K5 (in fact I am growing to not like that body).

Mark
09-19-2014, 04:39 AM   #154

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I have had the K-01 for about 2 weeks now.

I think the K-01 is the most misunderstood camera in recent memory.

When it was released, it took much criticism for being a brick, a box, too big, too thick, and it did not have a viewfinder.

All true.

But, it was being compared to mirrorless system cameras.

Using the NEX series as a benchmark, the K-01 is thicker.

However the K-01 was built on the foundation of the K5. It has similar imaging capabilities and is in a arguably more durable package that is smaller in all dimensions.

The only thing lacking is weather sealing.

Compared to any dSLR, it is smaller including being thinner. It is smaller than the new Canon Rebel SL1, the "smallest dSLR ever".

While most FA and DA ZOOM lenses are the same size as similar spec Nikon and Canon lenses, Pentax prime lenses are much smaller. They are similar in dimensions to rangefinder lenses (not counting diameter) and classic OM Zuikos of similar focal length.

I can argue that the K-01 is the smallest total APS digital camera with autofocus Prime lenses.

The K-01 does not compete against any compact mirrorless cameras other than the Nex (sensor size is the same). While the K-01 body is thicker and heavier, when mounted with a DA Prime (such as the 21 or 70mm DA Limiteds), the K-01 is a smaller package with arguably better lenses.

I would suggest that the K-01 is best described as an APS interchangeable lens LiveView camera.

While the K-01 is discontinued, I predict that there will be a similar spec APS interchangeable lens LiveView camera released by Pentax/Ricoh with more conventional styling than the K-01. This will give it some marketing space from the Mark Newson design that was polarizing. The real question will be if there will be an integrated EVF. If it does, then I suggest it might be named ME1 to pay homage to the Pentax ME series. I could even see it named Spotmatic as well.
I bought the K-01 (at the time also owning a K5).

I tried to love it. And failed. I just couldn't see the point of it. It certainly had some massive design flaws (it would switch itself on pretty much every time I put it in my bag), and was the least ergonomic camera ever made.

I have no idea who it was really designed for, because it was nearly as big as the K5, so.. why not just use a K5? All of the same plus points, with none of the K-01's numerous drawbacks.

I couldn't see the point of it. I sold it.

Though I wish I hadn't also got rid of the 40mm XS lens. That thing was beautiful. Really good for portrait type stuff, and was it small? Yes it was.

In the end, I have got myself a Q7 with a few lenses. When I want a compact camera, that's what I take. Camera, 01/02/06 lenses, batteries (battery life sucks), memory cards, filters and mini tripod all fit into a little pouch which is about the same size as my snug SLR carry case. And it's a lovely camera to use. So no wonder that Pentax ditched the pointless K-01 in favour of the Q.

09-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gullwing Quote
It certainly had some massive design flaws (it would switch itself on pretty much every time I put it in my bag), and was the least ergonomic camera ever made.
I think everybody who complains about the K-01's ergonomics is holding it wrong. If you hold it like a DSLR, it's bad. That's just another example of trying to look at the K-01 through DSLR-tinted glasses. If you hold it with your thumb on top, and you use your thumb to work the shutter, and the dial, and the green and red buttons, then it's pretty comfortable. This was meant for the younger generations who grew up texting and holding gamepads, who learned to use their thumb for everything. For them it makes sense.

As for the gripe about the K-01 being too big... Small size is what the Q is for. The K-01 is a Mega Q, with a bigger grip, bigger battery, stronger flash, more CPU power, more lenses, more of everything. For anyone who liked the Q but didn't actually need something tiny and didn't want to buy a whole new set of lenses, the K-01 was it.

I also sometimes wonder if the K-01 and Q series aren't also an attempt to muscle into Lomography's territory somewhat. Lomography have been moving into some higher-priced cameras (like the Belair), and they are dabbling with lenses for digital cameras. Regardless of anybody's feelings toward Lomography, they do have a cult following and some sort of buzz, and are reaching a different demographic. It's not crazy for a company like Pentax to try and get into some of that. All the colorful camera bodies, the goofy art filters... They make perfect sense in this context. (But without a Lomo-like website or marketing push to back it up, the whole strategy seems wasted.)

I was just looking at Lomo's page for their new LC-A 120, which is "The Most Compact & Magical Fully Automatic 120 Film Camera Ever!" You can pre-order for $430, which is getting up into K-500 territory. (BTW, it seems that "fully automatic" is Lomo-speak for a light meter coupled to the shutter. You still have to wind film, focus, and set the aperture yourself!) So... I was looking at all the example photos they posted, all the square photos with vignetting and wacked-out colors, as we've come to expect. And some of them looked good, in their Lomo way. Subject and composition always count. Yet, I was just thinking, I could put my 21mm lens on my toy-ish yellow brick, and set it to square format, and fiddle with the filter settings, and get the same look with a lot less hassle.
09-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #156

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I think everybody who complains about the K-01's ergonomics is holding it wrong. If you hold it like a DSLR, it's bad. That's just another example of trying to look at the K-01 through DSLR-tinted glasses. If you hold it with your thumb on top, and you use your thumb to work the shutter, and the dial, and the green and red buttons, then it's pretty comfortable. This was meant for the younger generations who grew up texting and holding gamepads, who learned to use their thumb for everything. For them it makes sense.

As for the gripe about the K-01 being too big... Small size is what the Q is for. The K-01 is a Mega Q, with a bigger grip, bigger battery, stronger flash, more CPU power, more lenses, more of everything. For anyone who liked the Q but didn't actually need something tiny and didn't want to buy a whole new set of lenses, the K-01 was it.

I also sometimes wonder if the K-01 and Q series aren't also an attempt to muscle into Lomography's territory somewhat. Lomography have been moving into some higher-priced cameras (like the Belair), and they are dabbling with lenses for digital cameras. Regardless of anybody's feelings toward Lomography, they do have a cult following and some sort of buzz, and are reaching a different demographic. It's not crazy for a company like Pentax to try and get into some of that. All the colorful camera bodies, the goofy art filters... They make perfect sense in this context. (But without a Lomo-like website or marketing push to back it up, the whole strategy seems wasted.)

I was just looking at Lomo's page for their new LC-A 120, which is "The Most Compact & Magical Fully Automatic 120 Film Camera Ever!" You can pre-order for $430, which is getting up into K-500 territory. (BTW, it seems that "fully automatic" is Lomo-speak for a light meter coupled to the shutter. You still have to wind film, focus, and set the aperture yourself!) So... I was looking at all the example photos they posted, all the square photos with vignetting and wacked-out colors, as we've come to expect. And some of them looked good, in their Lomo way. Subject and composition always count. Yet, I was just thinking, I could put my 21mm lens on my toy-ish yellow brick, and set it to square format, and fiddle with the filter settings, and get the same look with a lot less hassle.
Interesting ideas about the ergonomics, but I'm not a fossil, and when I was young I had games consoles, but would find controlling a camera with my thumb to be very strange. I've sold it so can't test your theory, but just can't visualise it..

I definitely think you're right about Pentax trying to muscle in on Lomography's territory with their small/cute cameras that come in many fashionable colours and have lots of crazy filter options. In this respect, I say go for it, as long as it keeps Pentax making their (on the whole) superb cameras.

Especially when their uber-Lomo camera (the Q) is so much more than just a Lomo style tool: I have the Q7 and since buying it (with 01 and 06 lenses) I have often found myself wanting to use that rather than my K3 (which is a stunning camera and I can't imagine ever wanting another SLR). The Q series is the camera that the K-01 wanted to be but simply couldn't be (for simple technical reasons).

The Q has all the versatility of a Pentax SLR in a tiny package (with an admittedly rather smaller sensor).

---------- Post added 09-23-14 at 01:23 AM ----------

Uh. Sorry. I wish it wouldn't check "quote message" by default..
09-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think there is a "right way" or "wrong way" to hold the K-01, as long as you can shoot. I just now tried the way you describe, and I don't like the lack of ready access to the rear buttons. Also, I have to bend my wrist awkwardly to shoot in that fashion.

I hold the K-01 with my right hand in as close to a conventional DSLR position as possible. When using a small lens - say, one of the DA Ltd's - the base of the K-01 rests in the palm of my left hand, and my upper arms are pressed against my torso. The LCD is less than a foot from my face. Naturally, my positioning and technique is different when I want an angle other than eye-level.

09-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I hold the K-01 with my right hand in as close to a conventional DSLR position as possible. When using a small lens - say, one of the DA Ltd's - the base of the K-01 rests in the palm of my left hand, and my upper arms are pressed against my torso. The LCD is less than a foot from my face. Naturally, my positioning and technique is different when I want an angle other than eye-level.
That is precisely how I use the K-01. I fooled around extensively with my MESuper looking at the back imagining what the K-01 would be like. I decided I could do it and pre-ordered .

I don't use the K-01 for everything - I also have a K10D and a K-3 and many film bodies - but when I want the look of the FA35/2 on that sensor, or to use focus peaking with a K lens - the K-01 is my go to body.
09-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That is precisely how I use the K-01. I fooled around extensively with my MESuper looking at the back imagining what the K-01 would be like. I decided I could do it and pre-ordered .

I don't use the K-01 for everything - I also have a K10D and a K-3 and many film bodies - but when I want the look of the FA35/2 on that sensor, or to use focus peaking with a K lens - the K-01 is my go to body.
I don't have another body (yet) and all my lenses longer than 100mm are MF... I use an LCD viewer + focus peaking on the K-01 and generally get good results, better than I would with a conventional DSLR.

I will most likely buy another K-01, soon.
09-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #160
Veteran Member

I think everybody who complains about the K-01's ergonomics is holding it wrong. If you hold it like a DSLR, it's bad. That's just another example of trying to look at the K-01 through DSLR-tinted glasses. If you hold it with your thumb on top, and you use your thumb to work the shutter, and the dial, and the green and red buttons, then it's pretty comfortable..
Exactly how I use it (I'm a 61 year old and never played with game consoles) and is also how I use the MX-1.
I don't quite understand the comment about bending the wrist awkwardly, it's a more natural position than using the DSLR method of gripping unless you're holding the K-01 up to your eye..
09-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Exactly how I use it (I'm a 61 year old and never played with game consoles) and is also how I use the MX-1.
I don't quite understand the comment about bending the wrist awkwardly, it's a more natural position than using the DSLR method of gripping unless you're holding the K-01 up to your eye..
See, you do understand...

I actually have used my thumb on the shutter-button a few times, when holding the K-01 low, but I most often shoot at eye level.
09-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #162
Forum Member

All great comments about handeling The K-01. No "RIGHT WAY". This camera makes you think. I use a "fake"poloroid method, with manual lenses. Frame shot, press green buton for exposure, adjust ISO, and Apature on lens for light level. make shure your shutter speed is were you want it. If not, adjust wheel set to shutter speed needed. Frame again, focus, using focus peaking (works great on macro), Take another reading with the green button. With the camera on AWB snap a "poloroid". Look at it, and figure out what need to change. Ajust frame configuration, ajust light value with the shutter, or apature, or ISO. Take a manual white balance off a white card! Still not realistic? Buy a 4x4 color corection gell pack, and tweek the manual white balance by putting color correction gells in front of the lens during a manual white balance. Blue makes it warmer, excetra. AWB is amazing, but renders all color casts the same.
10-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #163
Veteran Member

I'll be honest. These days I use the K01 two ways--at hip level with a manual focus wide angle for candid shots or with a macro lens. I have just never warmed to the slow AF and the back screen only framing.
11-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #164
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'll be honest. These days I use the K01 two ways--at hip level with a manual focus wide angle for candid shots or with a macro lens. I have just never warmed to the slow AF and the back screen only framing.
How about posting a sample image?
11-03-2014, 03:51 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't think there is a "right way" or "wrong way" to hold the K-01, as long as you can shoot.
I'm of the "taut strap" school... I shortened it with respect to my K100DS for precisely this reason.