Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxaholic Quote
Can anyone provide a link to information about this viewfinder?
I don't know if this is the style of viewfinder Dabber is referring to, but...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084LFED0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A number of companies market the same/similar device.

I use it for tele work, because it allows me to have increased stability by allowing DSLR-esque technique... and of course it also blocks the sun's light.

11-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #182
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Amazon.com: NeewerŪ 2.8x 3:2 DSLR LCD Screen Viewfinder Extender for Canon EOS Rebel T3i/600D and 60D: Everything Else

I use it for tele work, because it allows me to have increased stability by allowing DSLR-esque technique... and of course it also blocks the sun's light.
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to do some more research to see what fits the K01!
I started using my K01 for Astro photography! Up high on my tripod, I can see lcd just fine!
I wouldn't mind having one of these viewfinders for macro work or sunny days!
11-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to do some more research to see what fits the K01!
I started using my K01 for Astro photography! Up high on my tripod, I can see lcd just fine!
I wouldn't mind having one of these viewfinders for macro work or sunny days!
How do you do that without astrotracing support? a dedicated motorized mount?
11-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #184

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Amazon.com: NeewerŪ 2.8x 3:2 DSLR LCD Screen Viewfinder Extender for Canon EOS Rebel T3i/600D and 60D: Everything Else

That is one, of course. But I don't know anything about it. You can see the Swivi viewfinder I mentioned at: cheesycam.com/new-gear-swivi-lcd-view-finder. That, too, is available from Amazon!
Or you can go to this thread on the Pentax Forum: Finding a thumbscrew is torture! (pun intended) under the K3 threads because I couldn't find the one I wanted !

ADDED: If I understand what DSLR-esque technique is, that is one advantage, but I believe that the main thing about viewfinders of this type is that they let you see the LCD when taking pictures in bright sunlight with the sun behind you by screening the sun which would otherwise make the image on the LCD impossible to see.

One thing I have just thought of is that the length of the viewfinder means your face is further away from the camera than with a viewfinder as part of the camera, so you don't have to turn your head sideways to keep your nose out of the way! I'm not being too serious about that additional advantage.

Last edited by Dabber; 11-09-2014 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
11-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have debated getting something like the Swivi but wouldn't that make the camera unwieldy handheld?
11-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #186
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
How do you do that without astrotracing support? a dedicated motorized mount?
No, just use online programs to locate what I want to set up for and use it like a normal camera, but with focus peaking to see better. For example: I can't seem to lock focus onto Polaris to do star trails. I'll find it, then focus peak until I have it centered, then shoot. No worries about sun glaring on lcd in the dark!

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dabber Quote
That is one, of course. But I don't know anything about it. You can see the Swivi viewfinder I mentioned at: cheesycam.com/new-gear-swivi-lcd-view-finder. That, too, is available from Amazon!
Or you can go to this thread on the Pentax Forum: Finding a thumbscrew is torture! (pun intended) under the K3 threads because I couldn't find the one I wanted !
Thanks!
11-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #187
Veteran Member

No, just use online programs to locate what I want to set up for and use it like a normal camera, but with focus peaking to see better. For example: I can't seem to lock focus onto Polaris to do star trails. I'll find it, then focus peak until I have it centered, then shoot. No worries about sun glaring on lcd in the dark!
I was talking about star movement... either you have a short focal, luminous lens or you have to raise the ISOs in order to keep shutter speeds fast enough to avoid star trails...
If you're shooting star trails in the first place then no problem!

11-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #188
Inactive Account

I was talking about star movement... either you have a short focal, luminous lens or you have to raise the ISOs in order to keep shutter speeds fast enough to avoid star trails...
Shooting mostly star trails.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 10:01 AM ----------

Shooting mostly star trails.
11-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have debated getting something like the Swivi but wouldn't that make the camera unwieldy handheld?
I had considered that particular Swivi, but a) its expensive and b) its not easily and quickly removable in the field. The one I linked to has a thin metal frame that adheres to the LCD panel, and the loupe attaches to it via magnets. Since I generally only use the device for tele work and some macro, its more convenience for me not to have it almost permanently attached.
11-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have successfully used a ClearViewer that I had purchased for the Q (they are made to order). It did not give me the whole LCD but enough for stable manual focus handheld in bright light. That was good enough for me.
11-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #191

luftfluss said:

QuoteQuote:
"I had considered that particular Swivi, but a) its expensive and b) its not easily and quickly removable in the field."
(A) No, it's not cheap, but worth every penny/cent.
B) The trick is to leave the baseplate permanently attached to the camera. To release the viewfinder "hood" you loosen a small thumbscrew at the side of the baseplate which frees the tab or "tongue", releasing the viewfinder "hood". This can then go in your camera bag or wherever. Don't forget to tighten the thumbscrew so that it doesn't drop off.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 05:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote

No. My K-01 is about twice as heavy as the Swivi viewfinder. So you're not adding all that much. Now, add a sturdy tripod and you know you've added extra weight.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I understand that Steadicams - the thing that makes film and TV cameras steady - works on the principal of a weight at the bottom of the unit (as well as being attached to a bar connected to the cameraman's belt). So do you want to put up with extra weight or have just a light camera that it shakes all over the place? !

Last edited by Dabber; 11-09-2014 at 05:16 AM.
11-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B) The trick is to leave the baseplate permanently attached to the camera. To release the viewfinder "hood" you loosen a small thumbscrew at the side of the baseplate which frees the tab or "tongue", releasing the viewfinder "hood". This can then go in your camera bag or wherever. Don't forget to tighten the thumbscrew so that it doesn't drop off.
Yeah, that's the thing... I'm a ramblin' man, I wear the loupe on a lanyard around my neck, place it on the LCD when needed - literally takes one second - and simply pull it away when done. I also should mention that since I wear eyeglasses, the particular EVF viewer I use has a large, soft eyecup that fits over the left lens/frame, which is a big plus for me. One of the EVF viewers I tried didn't do that.

Anyway, I think some kind of EVF viewer is pretty much essential to have if you own a K-01.
11-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I want small size and light weight. If that is not an issue I use my k3.

luftfluss said: "I had considered that particular Swivi, but a) its expensive and b) its not easily and quickly removable in the field."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/221202-k-01-very-misunder...#ixzz3IUwknMpQ

(A) No, it's not cheap, but worth every penny/cent.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 05:27 PM ----------

No. My K-01 is about twice as heavy as the Swivi viewfinder. So you're not adding all that much. Now, add a sturdy tripod and you know you've added extra weight.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I understand that Steadicams - the thing that makes film and TV cameras steady - works on the principal of a weight at the bottom of the unit (as well as being attached to a bar connected to the cameraman's belt). So do you want to put up with extra weight or have just a light camera that it shakes all over the place? !
11-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #194
Veteran Member

*snip*
To release the viewfinder "hood" you loosen a small thumbscrew at the side of the baseplate which frees the tab or "tongue", releasing the viewfinder "hood". This can then go in your camera bag or wherever.
Yeah, I kinda remember the "wherever" bit!
11-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #195

Yeah, I kinda remember the "wherever" bit!
Yeah, yeah !

For those who don't understand this and the previous post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/277961-finding-thumbscrew-torture.html