Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #31

I am going to pick up SMC A 50mm tonight locally to match my K-01 yellow I just ordered today.

04-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #32

Meant to ask if A lenses are easier to use for beginners than M lenses.
04-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by katiedaddy Quote
Sounds like they should be useable on Av and P modes, where the camera controls the lens aperture. That should be easier for beginners (although full manual shooting isn't that hard - beginners have less to un-learn).
04-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A series can be used in any mode as the camera can control the Aperture, if you press the little button you can make it into an M series and adjust aperture on the lens.

With the M series you adjust aperture on the lens, if you use Aperture Priority you only have to half press the shutter to take a reading and set shutter speed.

Chris

04-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #35

I prefer the construction of the M lenses. They are compact, generally smaller than K or A lenses. They have superb focusing rings.

With the K-01 (and other Pentax dSLRs) and M lenses in Aperture Priority Mode, the aperture will be kept wide open when you meter then when a picture is taken, the exposure is set and then the lens will stop down and the shutter will fire. Wide Open, this is not an issue. With the lens set to a smaller aperture, you may get an underexposed image.

The work around is to use the green button and Manual mode. With the green button set to adjust the shutter speed to proper exposure, the camera will stop the lens down, set the shutter speed. YOu then release the shutter.

This is uncomfortable for me since I find it hard to reach the green button.

With "A" lenses, the aperture set on the lens is communicated with the camera so in Av mode, the camera correctly sets the shutter speed without having to use the green button. the camera can also set the aperture with the ring set to "A" and use shutter priority (tv) mode. You can also use Av mode and use the control dial on the camera to set the aperture.

"A" lenses are just easer to use.
04-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I am likely going to get a K01 at some stage probably 2nd hand as no $$$ free at present - what primes would you suggest to compliment my current FA31 and Rokinon 85 1.4?
(I am most likely getting a FA50 1.4 and already have a F35-70 zoom as per my Sig)
04-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
..... what primes would you suggest .....
(I am most likely getting a FA50 1.4 ......
Had the K-01 out with the FA50/1.4 yesterday. looks perfectly matched to the body.
Shots very sharp, handled bright scenes very well.
Needs as much hood as possible of course
04-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #38

I picked up A 50mm lens on the way home today guessing it was f2.0 considering the asking price since the seller didn't disclose the aperture.
To my surprise it was f1.4, not only that the lens was in near pristine condition despite its age.

04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I picked up A 50mm lens on the way home today guessing it was f2.0 considering the asking price since the seller didn't disclose the aperture.
To my surprise it was f1.4, not only that the lens was in near pristine condition despite its age.
Congratulations, nice lens and getting it as a deal just makes it even better.
04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just ordered my K-01 today too, how about that? Those closeout prices are hard to beat.

I have used both A and M lenses on my K100D, which I believe works similarly. Using the M lenses requires a different way of thinking about light metering, but you might even prefer it once you get used to that. It's more like using a handheld light meter, or like having the AE Lock button engaged all the time. You don't get an automatic reading for every snap of the shutter, but you can point your camera in a neutral direction (not towards something very light or very dark) and take a meter reading, then just snap away with it as long as your light conditions aren't changing.

It's sort of like the difference between autofocus and manual focus. Autofocus is convenient until it messes up and focuses on the wrong thing. Automatic exposure is convenient until something like snow or an overcast sky throws the reading off.
04-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
How's the edge performance of the Color-Skopar 20/3.5 on film?
I only hand print and everything has been going great, my scanner comes in tomorrow so I'll be scanning tons of images that I have shot with the skopar so I'll be able to give a better look as I've only been printing 8x10s, it's been my favorite lens to use on film though followed by the ultron, shooting on FP4.
04-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I sometimes use the M20/4 on the K-01, but personally not so thrilled about it. Find it hard to focus, even with Focus peaking. My personal fav is the M50/1.4. Bigger than the M20, bu it goes so well with the K-01
04-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I sometimes use the M20/4 on the K-01, but personally not so thrilled about it. Find it hard to focus, even with Focus peaking.
Most of the time when working with the M20/4,
I shoot at f/8 using a hyperfocal setting
(the right-hand loop or "butt cheek" of the infinity symbol
lined up against the focus scale diamond.)

However, I agree with your finding
that focus peaking doesn't work well with wide-angle lenses.
So far, this has been my biggest disappointment with the K-01.
04-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
I only hand print and everything has been going great, my scanner comes in tomorrow so I'll be scanning tons of images that I have shot with the skopar so I'll be able to give a better look as I've only been printing 8x10s, it's been my favorite lens to use on film though followed by the ultron, shooting on FP4.
Thanks for the response.
I'll be interested to hear how it looks.

While I'm a big fan of the longer Voigtlaender lenses
(58/1.4, 90/3.5, and 180/4),
I've held off the Color-Skopar,
in part because it seems so similar to my M20/4
(although it does have the "A" function, of course).
04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #45

Photos: Albums
I have 3 M lenses - 135/3.5, 50/2 and 28/2.8.

I really enjoy using the 50mm and 28mm and get good results. I know that M50/2 gets bad reviews, but I must have a good copy. It rivals my Limited 40mm, which I put on the K-01 when I need just quick snapshots and a slimmer body. I like to use the x6 mag "OK button" feature for manual focusing.