Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SergioFromSF Quote
I have 3 M lenses - 135/3.5, 50/2 and 28/2.8.

I really enjoy using the 50mm and 28mm and get good results. I know that M50/2 gets bad reviews, but I must have a good copy. It rivals my Limited 40mm, which I put on the K-01 when I need just quick snapshots and a slimmer body. I like to use the x6 mag "OK button" feature for manual focusing.
Funny, those were the first M lenses I got as a gift from my sister and BiL and I have had the most use out of the 135 - it's a gem.

04-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Funny, those were the first M lenses I got as a gift from my sister and BiL and I have had the most use out of the 135 - it's a gem.
I got an old M135/3.5 a while ago off an auction site and it's great on the K-01. Cheap too because there are so many of them around.
04-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
I got an old M135/3.5 a while ago off an auction site and it's great on the K-01. Cheap too because there are so many of them around.
Yes, and they're really compact. I use mine on both the K-01 and the Q. It becomes a super-telephoto lens on the Q.
04-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Thanks for the response.
I'll be interested to hear how it looks.

While I'm a big fan of the longer Voigtlaender lenses
(58/1.4, 90/3.5, and 180/4),
I've held off the Color-Skopar,
in part because it seems so similar to my M20/4
(although it does have the "A" function, of course).
I want the 58 so badly, I waited too long to purchase it and now I can't find one for the life of me, the only 3 lenses I would ever need I figured would be the 20, 40, and 58... But ya I also agree about the M20 being really similar, one of the lenses I juggled on the idea of purchasing when I bought the skopar, what sold me was the A setting and the fact it produced images very similar to the ultron which is my favorite lens ever. Here is my first scan and shot with the skopar, I have a lot of learning to do when it comes to scanning...

04-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevwil Quote
Like I said, that would obviously be an excellent way to go, but I wasn't planning on spending any more money and a full DA ltd set would probably turn me into a single father.
Pretty much the same situation I'm in. The K-01 was purchased because $250 was too good a price to pass up, but there's no way I can afford to spend hundreds more $$$ on lenses.

I do have a number of M42 lenses I've been picking up to use with my Micro 4/3 camera, and I'm hoping they'll work well on the K-01; adapter's on order. They're all manual and most of 'em are fairly large, though, so I'm really hoping for a small, light autofocus. I've been spoiled by my Q.

I wish they'd had some of the DA 40mm xs kits left, but no. And the 40mm xs doesn't appear to be selling reasonably low on eBay, yet; I'd love to have them hit the $120 range, but I don't see that any time soon (if ever).

Right now, I'm making do with a F 35-80mm I picked up from a local camera repair shop, and it seems to be doing well; noisy, though, and a bit bulkier than I'd like.
04-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Travis Butler Quote
Pretty much the same situation I'm in. The K-01 was purchased because $250 was too good a price to pass up, but there's no way I can afford to spend hundreds more $$$ on lenses.

I do have a number of M42 lenses I've been picking up to use with my Micro 4/3 camera, and I'm hoping they'll work well on the K-01; adapter's on order. They're all manual and most of 'em are fairly large, though, so I'm really hoping for a small, light autofocus. I've been spoiled by my Q.

I wish they'd had some of the DA 40mm xs kits left, but no. And the 40mm xs doesn't appear to be selling reasonably low on eBay, yet; I'd love to have them hit the $120 range, but I don't see that any time soon (if ever).

Right now, I'm making do with a F 35-80mm I picked up from a local camera repair shop, and it seems to be doing well; noisy, though, and a bit bulkier than I'd like.
The F35-80 is not one of Pentax's best efforts. If you see an F35-70 snag it - most love the lens and it really is a nice short zoom.

The 40XS goes for $150-175 around here on the Marketplace typically - they turn up periodically.
04-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #52
Forum Member

The F35-80 is not one of Pentax's best efforts. If you see an F35-70 snag it - most love the lens and it really is a nice short zoom.
Will do. The shop owner is an older gentleman; I've been taking several of the cine lenses I've been buying for the Q to him, and he's been very helpful, so when I asked for K-mount autofocus, the 35-80 is what he had there for relatively small lenses.

QuoteQuote:
The 40XS goes for $150-175 around here on the Marketplace typically - they turn up periodically.
Will have to keep an eye out.

I just realized one might turn out well for size, when I get the M42 adapter in; there's an Industar 50-2 pancake I picked up for the GX1, but it was kind of a bust for a compact kit because the M4/3 adapter is larger than the lens itself. The K-mount M42 adapter is a lot smaller, though...
04-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Industar 50-2 pancake
Yep, and here is how it looks like from a dramatic angle:
500px / Photo "K-01 Industar" by Stolpulus II

Its too bad the lens is so small it doesn't cover the contacts. No CiF. But it can produce some sharp images, once you get the hang of the odd preset aperture mechanism (hint: its the opposite of what the number says). It also renders in a very.. old fashioned way.
Some sample photos I took with K-01 and Industar:
http://500px.com/photo/19606537
500px / Photo "Returning ship" by Stolpulus II
500px / Photo "Duino castle" by Stolpulus II
500px / Untitled photo by Stolpulus II
500px / Photo "Foaming tide at sunset" by Stolpulus II

04-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #54

The 35-70 is very good @ 50 f4 it better across the frame then my K 50mm and I considered that to be one of my best lenses.

04-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Will do. The shop owner is an older gentleman; I've been taking several of the cine lenses I've been buying for the Q to him, and he's been very helpful, so when I asked for K-mount autofocus, the 35-80 is what he had there for relatively small lenses.

Will have to keep an eye out.

I just realized one might turn out well for size, when I get the M42 adapter in; there's an Industar 50-2 pancake I picked up for the GX1, but it was kind of a bust for a compact kit because the M4/3 adapter is larger than the lens itself. The K-mount M42 adapter is a lot smaller, though...
It must be great to have a knowledgeable local camera store to work with. Use the search function but I believe that the Industar 50/2 has some comments around here someplace. I seem to recall Douglas_of_Sweden saying he had that particular pancake lens.
04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #56
Forum Member

It must be great to have a knowledgeable local camera store to work with.
Yup, he's one of those guys who's been around forever, and is getting ready to retire (or at least to sell the shop and switch to a lower workload, repairing some stuff at home). He's got a large display cabinet filled with old classic 35mm kit, both cameras and lenses from Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, Nikon, Canon - even a couple of the Russian SLRs using M42. (No rangefinders, though.) He was actually pretty impressed when I brought in the K-01 to look at, and also at some of the things you can do with adapted lenses on the Q.

I'll take a look for the Industar 50 stuff when I get a chance; there's already been one reply.
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
500px / Photo "K-01 Industar" by Stolpulus II

Its too bad the lens is so small it doesn't cover the contacts. No CiF. But it can produce some sharp images, once you get the hang of the odd preset aperture mechanism (hint: its the opposite of what the number says). It also renders in a very.. old fashioned way.
Some sample photos I took with K-01 and Industar:
I really like the colors on some of the sunset shots, and the shots looking down at the water. Wasn't terribly impressed with what mine could do on the GX1, but then the last month or more has been taking test shots out of the window; haven't had a chance to actually go out and *shoot* in months. Now that it's spring and hopefully a bunch of errands are taken care of, I'll make time...
04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I really like the colors on some of the sunset shots, and the shots looking down at the water.
Ah yes, some of those were long exposures, others were in-camera SCN mode set to "Night HDR". But the regular daylight shots were handheld. Don't be afraid to use that lens at f8 or f16. And the edges will probably not be great.
04-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Silver lenses look good. Any will do
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 50mm f1.7 (or 1.4) is a much nicer lens than the 40mm xs in my opinion. I'd start with that. The bokeh is so much better, as is the color rendition and sharpness.

Beyond that, to be honest the lens that's on my K-01 more than any other is my Tamron 28-75 f2.8. It's big and heavy... but I rarely take it off. It's just an amazing combo.

Charles.