Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #61
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
I have decided to save for a DFA100 WR- I most likely have a K01 in my future and this would make a fantastic people shooting lens and ultra macro/wildlife lens on the Q

04-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #62
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 696
I have a Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, and a Pentax A 50mm f/1.4. Both inexpensive, both just great. Use the 28mm a LOT more than the 50mm. F/5.6 is the sweet spot.
04-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #63
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton, Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 647
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
I have a Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, and a Pentax A 50mm f/1.4. Both inexpensive, both just great. Use the 28mm a LOT more than the 50mm. F/5.6 is the sweet spot.
I also have both of those lenses. 28mm is pretty close to a "true normal" lens for APS-C. My 28mm has a very stiff aperture ring which is a nuisance when using it on older film cameras, but it works just fine on newer bodies that set the aperture internally. However... I just got a new 21mm Limited! I've only given it a very brief test today, but I think it's going to be fantastic. I can already see the image quality humiliates my old Vivitar 19mm, plus the 21mm is smaller and lighter and has autofocus.
04-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,089
QuoteOriginally posted by hypernotactive Quote
Don't forget all the m42 lenses out there.
Work great on the K01 in av mode.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
Don't forget all the Helios lenses out there either. The K-01 with focus peaking makes them very nice to use in Av mode, or Scene mode, which is just a more saturated Av. For closeup subjects, you can use the manual lenses (like my Helios 44K-4 58mm f 2.0) like a locked-focus macro lens. Just set minimum range and move camera forwards/backwards until the target gets that white, shimmering outline and press the shutter button. As much as I love the IQ of my various manual focus lenses, I always thought twice before using them just because of the focusing delays. Now with focus peak on K-01, I have been using them much more often.

04-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #65
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 696
@ivanvernon -- that's a great idea, to put it on peak focus and move back and forth til it lights up. Will try it tomorrow.

Basically, what I'm getting from this thread is that there are LOTS of good inexpensive lenses out there, just waiting for K-01 owners to give them a second life. What a deal!
04-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #66
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 55
Well, the camera repair guy didn't have any compact primes to sell (at least at the moment), but he did give me this to play around with... ought to be interesting, even if it is not at all the small, light walking-around lens I wanted; the thing is pretty darn heavy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #67
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 55
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Don't forget all the Helios lenses out there either. The K-01 with focus peaking makes them very nice to use in Av mode, or Scene mode, which is just a more saturated Av.
How do you like the Helios lenses? I've heard bits and reviews suggesting they're pretty good, enough to tempt me; and I've bid on several on fleabay in the $20-40 range, only to have them sniped out from under me because I'm never sure how much it's worth to go for. I've already got a Takumar 1.4, a Yashica 1.9 and 2.0, and an Industar 50 in 50mm M42, and still playing around with them to see what they can do; is there something that really stands out about the Helios to make it worth getting one, beyond LBA?

(I also keep getting tempted by Meyer Optik/Pentacon 50's and even an occasional Zeiss Jena in the same price range, but have the same problem with them getting sniped out because I'm never sure it'll be worth enough to me to go above $40-50.)
04-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #68
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,148
nope. All LBA. You have a bunch of sweet 50's. And unless you have a truck load of bodies? whats the point, (besides LBA :P)

Still, didn't stop me getting a little 58mm f2. But if I knew now what I know now.

04-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #69
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Travis Butler Quote
Well, the camera repair guy didn't have any compact primes to sell (at least at the moment), but he did give me this to play around with... ought to be interesting, even if it is not at all the small, light walking-around lens I wanted; the thing is pretty darn heavy.
That's a very unique lens and a beast weight-wise. It's listed here if you want to know more about it (it's hard to find the info on it as it doesn't fit cleanly in a lens category):
SMC Pentax-AF 35-70mm F2.8 Reviews - M Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,089
QuoteOriginally posted by Travis Butler Quote
How do you like the Helios lenses? I've heard bits and reviews suggesting they're pretty good, enough to tempt me; and I've bid on several on fleabay in the $20-40 range, only to have them sniped out from under me because I'm never sure how much it's worth to go for. I've already got a Takumar 1.4, a Yashica 1.9 and 2.0, and an Industar 50 in 50mm M42, and still playing around with them to see what they can do; is there something that really stands out about the Helios to make it worth getting one, beyond LBA?

(I also keep getting tempted by Meyer Optik/Pentacon 50's and even an occasional Zeiss Jena in the same price range, but have the same problem with them getting sniped out because I'm never sure it'll be worth enough to me to go above $40-50.)
I was real lucky to get my Helios 44-K-4 58mm f 2.0 at a very reasonable price. This one fits directly because it is K-mount, so it functions just like a a Pentax M lens. Construction-wise, it is a fairly heavy and durable lens. In terms of image quality, it is sharp and renders colors very nicely, better, I think, than my Pentax A f 1.7, although for focal length the two lens are interchangeable. In my view, the Helios 44 58 mm is just as good as the Pentax M and A series, and I would not feel bad about bidding the lens up to $60 or $75 if necessary. On the other hand, there are some very reliable Russian sellers on eBay that you can contact to quote you on the exact lens you want for a preset price. I highly recommend the Helios 44-K-4 based on my own experience and because you do not have to fool around with adapter rings. Good luck.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small bag for the K-01 and 2 lenses slackercruster Pentax K-01 10 12-31-2012 09:30 AM
minimalist camera rig/best small lenses ever made jakeblues Pentax Film SLR Discussion 57 11-19-2012 10:24 AM
Best price for K-01 in Sydney MikeAusP Pentax K-01 2 05-01-2012 05:32 PM
Lenses For K-01 seasdes Pentax K-01 6 04-01-2012 08:15 AM
Best way to carry multiple small lenses for quick reach. pcarfan Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 44 07-18-2010 04:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top