Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At that price the option is 4 K-01s or 1 K-5 II. You could never change lenses again.

04-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #17

i also bit the bullet and got the black one.
can't wait to go on some adventures!
04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Update: I tried the two-camera approach yesterday for the first time at my son's soccer game. K-01 with the 43 ltd and K5 with the F135. I felt a little self-conscious, but other than that, I liked not having to switch lenses. The 135 focuses quite fast on the K5 for `action' shots, and the 43 plays well with the K-01 for the other stuff.

So far, so good!
04-22-2013, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

I also did... But not really biting the bullet, more like "finally, the price went down" and "A budget camera with a K-5's sensor"...
After I bought it, I immediately updated it's firmware to 1.03 and went out shooting with it and dig up all it's abilities and limitations...
The result is OUTSTANDING! This camera was grossly underrated and hated by many just because of its unusual design as they say it's "Fugly"...
I love the design actually, I love the minimalism of the camera, and it's a straight forward camera just like the Pentax K1000 or the Leica M9...
I don't know why the design is so hated by many, but when I went out shooting with it, many folks around me and fellow photographers immediately loved the design, they were curious, they were envy wishing they also want one (and those are Canon and Nikon users)...
And here's a review of the K-01 that I've just made: Pentax K-01 - Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

04-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 Richard,
I could not agree with you more: your impressions mirror mine.
Two months after getting the my "Yellow Brick" I sold the K20 since I was not using it any more
04-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
I also did... But not really biting the bullet, more like "finally, the price went down" and "A budget camera with a K-5's sensor"...
After I bought it, I immediately updated it's firmware to 1.03 and went out shooting with it and dig up all it's abilities and limitations...
The result is OUTSTANDING! This camera was grossly underrated and hated by many just because of its unusual design as they say it's "Fugly"...
I love the design actually, I love the minimalism of the camera, and it's a straight forward camera just like the Pentax K1000 or the Leica M9...
I don't know why the design is so hated by many, but when I went out shooting with it, many folks around me and fellow photographers immediately loved the design, they were curious, they were envy wishing they also want one (and those are Canon and Nikon users)...
And here's a review of the K-01 that I've just made: Pentax K-01 - Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Couldn't agree more! I couldn't resist picking up a second (black) body. I now walk around with the FA 43 (white) and the DA 21 (black) when I go out shooting. May eventually get the yellow if they're still around in a couple months but really can't justify it at the moment. The K-01 is an absolute steal at the current prices!
04-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another update: One thing I definitely like about the K-01 is the ease with which I can switch the autofocus `point' (small rectangle). I suppose that it is no harder to do this with the K-5, but it seems easier on the K-01.
04-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Marc Newson was right.

04-26-2013, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I assume that Marc Newsom designed the box based on design requirements provided by Pentax. In particular, Pentax decided not to have a tilty screen or an evf option - my main gripes about the design. Had anyone at Pentax asked me (doesn't everybody think of that as a logical first step?), I would have suggested a new mount with an included fully wired new-mount-to-K adaptor. This would have allowed for a thinner body (with a tilty screen - no, I will not let that go), and they could have designed one or two new lenses (like the 40 xs, but in the new mount), and the adaptor would have provided the instant compatibility with the legacy glass.

Admittedly, with the adaptor and a K-mount lens, the (hypothetical fantasy) camera would tend to look NEX-like, but that is where a Marc Newsom could earn his salary, and introduce design elements that differentiate the (hypothetical fantasy) camera from other mirrorless APSC cameras. On the other hand, with a new-mount lens (think 40 xs dimensions) the (hypothetical fantasy) camera might even be pocketable. Best of both worlds.

There - I finally got that off my chest. Now back to your regularly scheduled show... The potential for pleasing (to me) photography is there!

K-01 with 31 limited:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another update:

Having used the K-01 (a little - been very busy) for the past two weeks, I don't love it yet. But, I do like it. I like that it has essentially the same IQ as the K5; I like that it is a little smaller than the K5, and with the 43 ltd (or the 21 ltd, which I don't have, yet), it is almost jacket-pocketable; I find it easy to use; and I like that I got a second body for my lenses for $250.
05-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #26

I like it a lot! Never wanted to, never expected to. Got a Q and picked up the K out of curiosity as the price with the 40XS is pretty low right now. Fantastic stuff so far.
05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I planned to get a second K-01 but I went nuts buying Q's and accessories with the money. But that was a good thing. Now I ahve three cameras that have a viewfinder I can use - one for a pocket, one for a tripod with long ,enses and one for really good IQ with all my lenses.

And there's still the LX.