Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I missed my K-01 in Chicago

I went to Chicago for some sightseeing this past weekend. I packed the K5 instead of the K-01, figuring I might need the weather sealing, and wanted an optical viewfinder for use in bright sun. Result: I missed my K-01 all weekend.

I used to love my K5, but ever since I met the K-01, the flame has gone out of my romance with the K5. Spending a whole weekend alone with the K5, I was plagued with thoughts like:
  • I miss having a selected crop/aspect ratio...
  • It's hard to be 100% sure what's in focus with an optical finder, even one as good as the K5's
  • Live view is a slow, frustrating replacement for the K-01's real-time display
  • I miss contrast detect autofocus with no front or back focusing
  • I miss focus peaking
  • I miss how quiet and unobtrusive the K-01 is
  • I miss the well-implemented video of the K-01
  • I miss the cool feel of the K-01's modernist body in my hand

I'm sure the pictures I took are basically the same. The K5 has a good sensor. But I am convinced I missed a few shots, especially because some were out of focus.

Is the K-01 perfect? No. If a K-02 came along with an EVF and a traditional body (like Pentax's equivalent of the OM-D) I would jump in a heartbeat. But until then, I'm in love.

04-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry you were disappointed in your K-5. I've had the opposite experience when I need instant focusing and the K-01 pokes along. If I were doing all architecture, landscapes, museum, etc. shots then the K-01 would be fine. But with kids that move its a PITA to use outside those confines IMHO. It's good to have both though.
04-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Agreed -- I wasn't shooting any action, all urban landscape. I don't hate my K5, and it is the right choice for action.
04-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hee hee, by any chance, you didn't bang the K-01 into your forehead several times while trying to use the nonexistent viewfinder? That's usually how the K-01 insanity begins...

04-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoog Quote
hee hee, by any chance, you didn't bang the k-01 into your forehead several times while trying to use the nonexistent viewfinder? That's usually how the k-01 insanity begins... :d
pmsl...
04-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Agreed -- I wasn't shooting any action, all urban landscape. I don't hate my K5, and it is the right choice for action.
Ah, I do understand. I find that my K-01 with MF lenses is better suited to such settings (despite its skittles ). I carry the K-01 with 40Ltd with me in my briefcase in a padded pocket for such occasions as I find them.