Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

new k-01 or keep my kx

I bit on the January Amazon deal: $315 for k01 + 40mm. After talking to them today, I got them to next day me a white one for the same price. Long story short, family decision not to spend $300 on more camera gear right now so I have a decision to make...

Sell my used Kx, sell the k01 kit, sell the k01 (keep the lens) and sell some other gear. Honestly, I tried a K01 months ago and was disappointed in it's shutter speed but read firmware upgrade helps. Any suggestions/opinions?

04-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was wrong with the shutter speed? Do you mean AF speed?

The K-x has an OVF and snappier AF while the K-01 has better image quality and better video. Depends on which is more important to you!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I understand the post, did you already order a K-01, or are you just thinking about it?
The K-01's AF speed improves significantly with the firmware update. I had a K-r (which is similar to the K-x, same sensor, I think) and I find the K-01 produces much better images overall. But its not a DSLR. You will be disappointed if you want a DSLR. But if you accept the camera as it is - a mirrorless brick with an amazing sensor at a very low cost - you will be very happy with it. It is a special camera. You have to ask yourself why you want the upgrade. If you want faster AF or WR, then save up for a K-5 or K-30. If you want better IQ and don't need DSLR speed, the K-01 is for you.
Be sure to look at the Price watch threads, because some amazing K-01 deals pop up every once in a while at B&H and Adorama (and others).
04-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What was wrong with the shutter speed? Do you mean AF speed?

The K-x has an OVF and snappier AF while the K-01 has better image quality and better video. Depends on which is more important to you!
Yeah the auto focus was the major concern but there seemed to be a slight delay even with manual focus. I love the focus peak. My favorite lens is my rokinon 85mm f1.4 which can be challenging through the kx viewfinder.

How's the display on the k01 in daylight outdoors?

04-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm not sure I understand the post, did you already order a K-01, or are you just thinking about it?
The K-01's AF speed improves significantly with the firmware update. I had a K-r (which is similar to the K-x, same sensor, I think) and I find the K-01 produces much better images overall. But its not a DSLR. You will be disappointed if you want a DSLR. But if you accept the camera as it is - a mirrorless brick with an amazing sensor at a very low cost - you will be very happy with it. It is a special camera. You have to ask yourself why you want the upgrade. If you want faster AF or WR, then save up for a K-5 or K-30. If you want better IQ and don't need DSLR speed, the K-01 is for you.
Be sure to look at the Price watch threads, because some amazing K-01 deals pop up every once in a while at B&H and Adorama (and others).
Bought the k01+40mm; arrives tomorrow. I had tried it previously without firmware upgrade (and much higher price) and was disappointed. Loved the focus peak and can use the 40mm. Without firmware though auto focus was hideous and in lower light, non existent.
04-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevingt01 Quote
How's the display on the k01 in daylight outdoors?
Like all LCD screens when out in full sun, they are washed out if the sun is directly on them.
You also have to watch out for your own reflection when the sun is hitting your face, so position yourself accordingly and wear a wide brimmed hat anyway.
Some people use a Loupe..
04-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I will echo these posts. I have a kr and the k01. Image quality is clearly better and you will see it right away. The k01 is smaller. Not by much but as it square so i find it takes up less space. I am not giving up the kr (unless it is to get a k5 or k30) but the k01 and 3 lenses are coming with me to italy in a pacsafe 100 bag. I find the auto focus sometmes slower but not always. To be honest I am not sure it is slower cause I don't usually need it fast.

Try it and if you don't like you can sell it. I have a white kr and k01. Wouldnt want to chose but k01 image quality has me hooked.
04-10-2013, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am keeping both, K-01 is fine with small lenses, but something like my 50-135mm, I prefer k-x only.