Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

I Own a Kr... Any Reason to Buy K-01?

Just like the title says. I own a Kr... is there any reason to get a K-01? In terms of image quality, usability, etc., what does the K-01 do that the Kr doesnt?

04-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 has better image quality, a better movie mode (w/ stereo mic input and manual controls), and faster in-camera processing.

However, the burst buffer is smaller, the AF is slower, (vs. the K-r's viewfinder af) and there's no viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Focus Peaking

I am finding the Focus Peaking of the K-01 a great deal of fun - both with older manual focus lenses, and for macro (with my F-35-70 - makes me want more). (Check out "Pentax Focus Peaking" on youtube)
I share a K20 with my daughter (I'm not as familiar with the Kr), but when I shoot now, I grab the K-01 I got at the recent Amazon deal...
04-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm mainly thinking of it because I can get it with the 40mm xs lens for $400 and I was going to just buy a 35mm f2.4 lens for arounc $190. So I'm debating about just getting this for the lens and to have the extra body... but part of me feels like I'd be better off with the 35mm lens and saving my money for some other toy.

04-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MY thought process as well. I have a kr and figured I would get the k01 for the lens and fell for the camera. The 40xs is a really great lens on either both the kr and the k01. The image quality is a definite step up from the kr.

What I noticed was all of the reviews I read of folks getting the k01 cause of the price or to get the 40xs at a discount and then loved the camera. I don't think you will be disappointed. I wasnt.
04-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phillydad Quote
I am finding the Focus Peaking of the K-01 a great deal of fun - both with older manual focus lenses, and for macro (with my F-35-70 - makes me want more). (Check out "Pentax Focus Peaking" on youtube)
I share a K20 with my daughter (I'm not as familiar with the Kr), but when I shoot now, I grab the K-01 I got at the recent Amazon deal...
This is interesting. I have tried, really tried, to use Focus Peaking on my K-01 and Q, and I find it extremely hard to use - compared to MF using the 4x magnification.

Maybe it's just me, though, and I should keep trying. I was eager to get FP, and rather disappointed when I did. Good thing that it can be turned off easily.....
04-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
How's the K-01 in low light and/or shooting moving objects (i.e., kids) vs. the K-r? Most of my shooting is done with the kids and they are rarely still, plus a lot of it is indoors.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the 40mm XS kit lens compares to Pentax's DA 35mm f/2.4?

04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'd say the $250 price tag is a pretty good reason. That doesn't include the 40mm XS, though.
04-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well, I just placed an order for the K-01 with the 40mm XS prime for a total of $317. I figure even if I don't want to keep the body I can probably sell it for around $200 - $250 or so and basically end up getting the lens for around $100 in the end. And if I like the body I'll just keep it as a slightly smaller alternative to my K-r.
04-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
That is a lower price I though you could get for the kit now. Where can you get that deal?
04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
Some place called Valleyseek online; they came up in Google shopping, along with a couple other places that were selling the kit for around the same price. Big difference (as in $100 difference) between colors though, so you have to be happy with yellow. :-)
04-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
This is interesting. I have tried, really tried, to use Focus Peaking on my K-01 and Q, and I find it extremely hard to use - compared to MF using the 4x magnification.

Maybe it's just me, though, and I should keep trying. I was eager to get FP, and rather disappointed when I did. Good thing that it can be turned off easily.....

Same here. When I have tried to use focus peaking the focus has turned out bad every time. The zoom with focus peaking off has worked well though. I tried auto focusing with focus peaking on to compare what it looks like when I focus and they look different. Perhaps its just a mater of learning what it is supposed to look like.

Something else I noticed is that with fast apertures, the focus peaking seems to indicate a pretty strong focus for a broader range than the actual range. Again perhaps it is just a matter of learning it or perhaps it works better at slower apertures?