Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

HELP! K-01 e-dial stopped working

My K-01 is running the latest firmware

Suddenly, while zooming in with the dial (shutter speed & aperture) it stopped
It snaps as usual & no physical difference but settings do not respond anymore

Removing battery & memory card did NOT work

I need serious help as I have 2 shoots tomorrow!

EDIT: I also live in Egypt so not one clue on the possibility of sending it for repair or even where to send it!

04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is pretty common with Pentax cameras, and others. Get some contact solution and spray it in the dial. It is not water based and will not hurt the electronics. it will clean off some of the grease on the contacts and allow the clicks to register. I've had it happen with a couple of Pentax cameras and a Samsung NX. It might take a few applications and working the dial until it's fixed.

Edit: This is solution for electrical contacts not contact eye solution, just in case there was some confusion. You should be able to get it from an electronics or a hardware store.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-10-2013 at 07:39 AM.
04-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
This is pretty common with Pentax cameras, and others. Get some contact solution and spray it in the dial. It is not water based and will not hurt the electronics. it will clean off some of the grease on the contacts and allow the clicks to register. I've had it happen with a couple of Pentax cameras and a Samsung NX. It might take a few applications and working the dial until it's fixed.

Edit: This is solution for electrical contacts not contact eye solution, just in case there was some confusion. You should be able to get it from an electronics or a hardware store.
How do I spary it IN the dial?
There doesn't seem to be quite the clearance, or just spray on top & it'll clean things?
04-10-2013, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
How do I spary it IN the dial?
There doesn't seem to be quite the clearance, or just spray on top & it'll clean things?
Spray it into the cracks right around the e-dial. There isn't a lot of clearance; but I sprayed it into a K-7, with weather sealing, and it worked.

04-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, and your mileage may vary, and I've never done this with either technique (disclaimers, you know)

I'd use something like a q-tip or cotton swab as an intermediary. Spray onto the q-tip or swab, apply to top of dial with q-tip or swab. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I'd be hesitant to spray directly into the camera body, even through the small gaps around the e-dial.
04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Personally, and your mileage may vary, and I've never done this with either technique (disclaimers, you know)

I'd use something like a q-tip or cotton swab as an intermediary. Spray onto the q-tip or swab, apply to top of dial with q-tip or swab. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I'd be hesitant to spray directly into the camera body, even through the small gaps around the e-dial.
That wouldn't reach the contact. This spray does no harm to electrical components. It's non-conducting. You could actually submerge the whole camera in the stuff, if you really wanted to(Not recommended ).
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
That wouldn't reach the contact. This spray does no harm to electrical components. It's non-conducting. You could actually submerge the whole camera in the stuff, if you really wanted to(Not recommended ).
Would a WD-40 Dry do the trick?

04-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Would a WD-40 Dry do the trick?
No, don't use that. That will make the problem worse.
04-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
No, don't use that. That will make the problem worse.
An amazon,...etc) link would be great

I didn't find it in the local Radioshack

EDIT: How is this?
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Professional-2053-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B0030MKAV4/re...non-conductive

Safe?
04-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

An amazon,...etc) link would be great

I didn't find it in the local Radioshack

EDIT: How is this?
Max Professional 2053 Mini Contact Cleaner - 4 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Safe?
Yes, that is what you want. Spray it in the cracks and then turn the dial several times in each direction(repeat if necessary). Don't be too overzealous. If you spray too much then your e-dial will not be as smooth, or quiet, when you turn it(not the end of the world if you do, it will still work fine). What you're doing is removing some of the excess grease that they pack around the contact.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yes, that is what you want. Spray it in the cracks and then turn the dial several times in each direction(repeat if necessary). Don't be too overzealous. If you spray too much then your e-dial will not be as smooth, or quiet, when you turn it(not the end of the world if you do, it will still work fine). What you're doing is removing some of the excess grease that they pack around the contact.
Fingers crossed...

Thanks man :|
You have no idea how stressed I am over this
1 year pay...
04-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This spray does no harm to electrical components. It's non-conducting
I was thinking more along the lines of not hitting the sensor itself and leaving spots, and a mirror, forgetting of course that there is no mirror in the k-01. Anyway, your advice has more backing than mine - you've done this before, I haven't Carry on!
04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I was thinking more along the lines of not hitting the sensor itself and leaving spots, and a mirror, forgetting of course that there is no mirror in the k-01. Anyway, your advice has more backing than mine - you've done this before, I haven't Carry on!
It does dry without residue. I've never had a problem, but I suppose he could tilt it so it falls away from the sensor.
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hey man, I tried with a local electronic contact solution (dry) but to no avail
I applied about 5 times, rotating the dial both ways for a while each time, still nothing

Maybe a higher quality cleaner?...

'at me bro >.<!
04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hey man, I tried with a local electronic contact solution (dry) but to no avail
I applied about 5 times, rotating the dial both ways for a while each time, still nothing

Maybe a higher quality cleaner?...

'at me bro >.<!
What do you mean by dry? I suppose it's possible that the dial is just broken, but grease is the more common issue. You can read about it in older threads here, and I've had it happen with 3 separate cameras. Is there anyway you can rent a camera for your shoot? Sorry things didn't work out for you. When I'd do it, if I needed more than 1 application, I could still see progress. The dial turns would register more and more, until finally they registered every time.