Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
HELP! K-01 e-dial stopped working

My K-01 is running the latest firmware

Suddenly, while zooming in with the dial (shutter speed & aperture) it stopped
It snaps as usual & no physical difference but settings do not respond anymore

Removing battery & memory card did NOT work

I need serious help as I have 2 shoots tomorrow!

EDIT: I also live in Egypt so not one clue on the possibility of sending it for repair or even where to send it!

04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
This is pretty common with Pentax cameras, and others. Get some contact solution and spray it in the dial. It is not water based and will not hurt the electronics. it will clean off some of the grease on the contacts and allow the clicks to register. I've had it happen with a couple of Pentax cameras and a Samsung NX. It might take a few applications and working the dial until it's fixed.

Edit: This is solution for electrical contacts not contact eye solution, just in case there was some confusion. You should be able to get it from an electronics or a hardware store.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-10-2013 at 07:39 AM.
04-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
This is pretty common with Pentax cameras, and others. Get some contact solution and spray it in the dial. It is not water based and will not hurt the electronics. it will clean off some of the grease on the contacts and allow the clicks to register. I've had it happen with a couple of Pentax cameras and a Samsung NX. It might take a few applications and working the dial until it's fixed.

Edit: This is solution for electrical contacts not contact eye solution, just in case there was some confusion. You should be able to get it from an electronics or a hardware store.
How do I spary it IN the dial?
There doesn't seem to be quite the clearance, or just spray on top & it'll clean things?
04-10-2013, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
How do I spary it IN the dial?
There doesn't seem to be quite the clearance, or just spray on top & it'll clean things?
Spray it into the cracks right around the e-dial. There isn't a lot of clearance; but I sprayed it into a K-7, with weather sealing, and it worked.

04-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
pezmaker's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 276
Personally, and your mileage may vary, and I've never done this with either technique (disclaimers, you know)

I'd use something like a q-tip or cotton swab as an intermediary. Spray onto the q-tip or swab, apply to top of dial with q-tip or swab. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I'd be hesitant to spray directly into the camera body, even through the small gaps around the e-dial.
04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Personally, and your mileage may vary, and I've never done this with either technique (disclaimers, you know)

I'd use something like a q-tip or cotton swab as an intermediary. Spray onto the q-tip or swab, apply to top of dial with q-tip or swab. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I'd be hesitant to spray directly into the camera body, even through the small gaps around the e-dial.
That wouldn't reach the contact. This spray does no harm to electrical components. It's non-conducting. You could actually submerge the whole camera in the stuff, if you really wanted to(Not recommended ).
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
That wouldn't reach the contact. This spray does no harm to electrical components. It's non-conducting. You could actually submerge the whole camera in the stuff, if you really wanted to(Not recommended ).
Would a WD-40 Dry do the trick?
04-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
Would a WD-40 Dry do the trick?
No, don't use that. That will make the problem worse.

04-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
No, don't use that. That will make the problem worse.
An amazon,...etc) link would be great

I didn't find it in the local Radioshack

EDIT: How is this?
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Professional-2053-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B0030MKAV4/re...non-conductive

Safe?
04-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
An amazon,...etc) link would be great

I didn't find it in the local Radioshack

EDIT: How is this?
Max Professional 2053 Mini Contact Cleaner - 4 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Safe?
Yes, that is what you want. Spray it in the cracks and then turn the dial several times in each direction(repeat if necessary). Don't be too overzealous. If you spray too much then your e-dial will not be as smooth, or quiet, when you turn it(not the end of the world if you do, it will still work fine). What you're doing is removing some of the excess grease that they pack around the contact.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yes, that is what you want. Spray it in the cracks and then turn the dial several times in each direction(repeat if necessary). Don't be too overzealous. If you spray too much then your e-dial will not be as smooth, or quiet, when you turn it(not the end of the world if you do, it will still work fine). What you're doing is removing some of the excess grease that they pack around the contact.
Fingers crossed...

Thanks man :|
You have no idea how stressed I am over this
1 year pay...
04-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
pezmaker's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 276
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
This spray does no harm to electrical components. It's non-conducting
I was thinking more along the lines of not hitting the sensor itself and leaving spots, and a mirror, forgetting of course that there is no mirror in the k-01. Anyway, your advice has more backing than mine - you've done this before, I haven't Carry on!
04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I was thinking more along the lines of not hitting the sensor itself and leaving spots, and a mirror, forgetting of course that there is no mirror in the k-01. Anyway, your advice has more backing than mine - you've done this before, I haven't Carry on!
It does dry without residue. I've never had a problem, but I suppose he could tilt it so it falls away from the sensor.
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yes, that is what you want. Spray it in the cracks and then turn the dial several times in each direction(repeat if necessary). Don't be too overzealous. If you spray too much then your e-dial will not be as smooth, or quiet, when you turn it(not the end of the world if you do, it will still work fine). What you're doing is removing some of the excess grease that they pack around the contact.
Hey man, I tried with a local electronic contact solution (dry) but to no avail
I applied about 5 times, rotating the dial both ways for a while each time, still nothing

Maybe a higher quality cleaner?...

'at me bro >.<!
04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
Hey man, I tried with a local electronic contact solution (dry) but to no avail
I applied about 5 times, rotating the dial both ways for a while each time, still nothing

Maybe a higher quality cleaner?...

'at me bro >.<!
What do you mean by dry? I suppose it's possible that the dial is just broken, but grease is the more common issue. You can read about it in older threads here, and I've had it happen with 3 separate cameras. Is there anyway you can rent a camera for your shoot? Sorry things didn't work out for you. When I'd do it, if I needed more than 1 application, I could still see progress. The dial turns would register more and more, until finally they registered every time.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-01 e-dial not working TaylorRiverGuy Pentax K-01 4 02-10-2013 12:38 PM
K-x e-dial not working siva.ss.kumar Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 03-12-2012 07:03 AM
problem with e-dial of k-x,please help the noob ultimateamit Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 05-07-2011 12:15 PM
K-7:Rear e-dial not working correctly bulacawa Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 05-29-2010 04:13 AM
K10 rear e-dial stopped working ryan s Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 03-10-2008 03:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top