Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

K-01 DNG Raw Files and Apple Aperture

I have done several searches on this site and on the web in general but would still like some advice. According to Apple's web site, the DNG files output by the K-01 is not supported by the Aperture software. I would like to keep using Aperture as it does support my other cameras and I don't want to learn a new program nor spend money on another program if I can keep from it. From my research, I did find that the free Adobe DNG Converter will convert the K-01 files and these converted files seem to be recognized by Aperture. I can see all the camera and lens info, etc. So, my question is whether using the DNG Converter is a reasonable method to get the files into Aperture and to do the raw processing off of the converted files. Or, are the files output by the DNG Converter somehow compromised significantly? Any guidance or insight is much appreciated.

04-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
dmc
Forum Member

I have no personal experience with this, but since there seems to be no monetary investment "free Adobe DNG Converter", why not just try it. Save a copy of your original and put it through the converter. You should be able to see if it works right away. Just a thought.
04-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It depends on how Apple is supporting the DNG.
In the DNG the camera also store the profieles needed to correctly read the RAW, this is not the case with other RAW formats. So that means that IF the program read the profieles inside the DNG then you don't need to have support since everything needed is already inside the file.
You got that, i can explain it easier.

as for the DNG converter, that converts RAW into DNG, since your file is already in DNG that does work but it will not help you with the problem.
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no issue opening a K-01 DNG file in Aperture. The issue is the camera presets aren't processed by Aperture...It just means more work to process them as the colors won't be the same as the JPEG preview.

The DNG converter is for converting files from a proprietary RAW format to DNG, I don't see how it would do anything to a DNG file...

04-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So much for the arguments for the so-called "free and open" DNG format.
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So much for the arguments for the so-called "free and open" DNG format.
Yes, because the fact that apple doesn't seem to support DNG very well means that there's something wrong with the format . . .
04-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Yes, because the fact that apple doesn't seem to support DNG very well means that there's something wrong with the format . . .
Apple supports DNG just fine. They just don't support the proprietary settings added by the K-01, yet.

04-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
dmc
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
You kill me man. Thanks for the laugh.
04-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the responses here. So, it sounds like the step to take the DNG files out of the camera and run it through the DNG Converter is an unneeded step. I should just go straight into Aperture with the images right out of the K-01 (which I did try early on also but was thinking this was not the best approach since Apples states the K-01 files are not supported.) I have also been playing around with ACDSee Pro6 (Windows version running in a virtual machine on the Mac) to process the raw files and then bringing the resulting JPEG files into Aperture. However, I would really like to just have one program and one library to deal with. I will cross my fingers that the next version of Aperture brings more full support for the K-01.
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Lightroom supports the K-01
04-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well if you have Windows running in a VM, why not use the supplied SilkyPix 3. I find it perfectly fine for the K-01 and Q and faster than Lightroom on the same hardware.
04-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have tried the Silkypix version also to process the DNG files and then import the JPEGS into Aperture. I have used the Mac OS version for this. It processes ok, but I don't really like the interface and am trying to get to a single program that works for other cameras also. I will keep testing using the DNG files in Aperture. I can get ACDSee pretty cheap on sale ($40) and this is still an option I guess. ACDSee would have the benefit of supporting other cameras also for a low cost. I know Lightrooom would work but would require a migration of my library, etc.. I am not sure I want to bite that bullet yet.
04-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #13

Original Poster
I have just completed some comparisons within Aperture between (1) the original K-01 DNG files converted via the Adobe DNG Converter tool mentioned in my initial post here and (2) the DNG files straight out of the camera. I see no difference in these files. So, going through the Converter process seems to be of no value for the K-01 raw files.
04-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Forum Member

Did you convert the PEF files with the Adobe converter?
04-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

@John Carter: K-01 does not produce .PEF files

QuoteQuote:
I have tried the Silkypix version also to process the DNG files and then import the JPEGS into Aperture.
@RedThunder: Why are you processing JPEG in Aperture? SilkyPix should be all you need to go from DNG to a finished JPEG.. Yes the UI is different at first, but I didn't find the learning curve any longer than I did Lightroom. I personally don't like Lightroom's sluggish performance and awkward importation process.