Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So, this is interesting. It is a mixed bag. Some have no problems, some have problems in certain situations and others just find it a bad match on the K-01. I found the problem of focusing at the long end even outside in decent light. It did hit it some times, but missed more often. And, I do have the latest firmware.

At the bottom of this, I wonder if it is the camera or the lens. And, in the case of a screw drive, isn't it the camera if it mis-focuses?

Last edited by Spodeworld; 04-17-2013 at 06:04 AM.
04-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm certainly no expert so perhaps someone else can shed some light on it, but I will try and help based some of my observations. Does it hunt around like it can not find autofocus, or does it quickly focus and get a lock like its working but the focus is off?
04-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
So, this is interesting. It is a mixed bag. Some have no problems, some have problems in certain situations and others just find it a bad match on the K-01. I found the problem of focusing at the long end even outside in decent light. It did hit it some times, but missed more often. And, I do have the latest firmware.

At the bottom of this, I wonder if it is the camera or the lens. And, in the case of a screw drive, isn't it the camera if it mis-focuses?
It is the camera either way -- the lens makes no focusing "decisions", it just a matter of a different type (and location) of motor. The camera "drives" it in both cases...
04-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It appears to confirm focus on the subject (not too slow unless light is poor), but the image thinks otherwise.

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I'm certainly no expert so perhaps someone else can shed some light on it, but I will try and help based some of my observations. Does it hunt around like it can not find autofocus, or does it quickly focus and get a lock like its working but the focus is off?

04-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Is it just a little out (though enough to make the image look bad) like perhaps its front or back focusing? I don't necessarily have a perfect solution but if it is what I think it might be, others including myself have had the issue too. It seems completely unrelated to available light or slower apertures. Contrast detect is not capable of having front or back focus issues but something seems to be making the camera blow focus in relation to the lens under certain circumstances. I think the conclusion we came to on another thread was that it was focusing on something other than what we wanted it to (and what the camera through was supposed to be in focus was).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/220999-tried-k-01-80-320-socc...ml#post2342981

I mentioned earlier that I had gone shooting at a naval museum and zoom lenses worked great. I used the older da 18-55mm (came with my ist-ds) and a tamron 28-200mm xr (if). These are not fast lenses. They shot beautiful inside and out under many conditions, focal lengths, apertures etc. A few minuets before I left, I threw the 40mm kit lens that came with the k-01 on it just to try it and get a few shots as I had not used it much. It blew the focus on many of the shots. If I'm understanding right, perhaps in a similar matter to yours. This was in bright daylight, with a lens that was designed specifically for the camera. Like yours, it would focus lock but the pic would not have sharp focus. Other lenses did just fine under those same conditions.

I think about the best we came up with on that other thread was it was focusing on something else. I did test and possibly confirmed that. Its mentioned in that other thread, but I took a shot with multi point af of a lens sitting on a shelf a few feet away. It should have been able to lock it fine. It locked it but the pic was not in sharp focus. This was with multi point af enabled. It seemed to focus on the lens but didn't. With manual focus it was sharp. When I changed to spot auto focus, suddenly it would auto focus ok.

Try playing with the focus settings. Try single point auto focus and see if it solves the problem. If so, it was probably getting focus lock somewhere other than what you wanted. I just haven't had enough time to keep playing with mine to really test that theory out yet. If that works, keep it in single point, or what I have found is seeming to work is use multi point auto focus, but shrink the auto focus box as small at it will get right in the center (there is a way to actively change the box size and location while shooting and the setting seems to stick, but I can not recall how to do it off the top of my head).

Let me know if you have any success as I'm interested in resolving it with my own lens. As mine is the kit lens designed for the camera, and someone else with the same lens as yours doesn't have the problem, its got to be some sort of user error/setting problem or something that only happens in certain conditions or something?
04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That sounds like a good idea. I went into the menu yesterday night and saw the center spot focus option. I'll give that a try and see how that works. Probably won't be able to do it till the weekend though. Keeping my fingers crossed.
04-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tried my Sigma 17-70 HSM F2.8-4 on my new K-01, and no dice. Won't even focus. The Tamron 70-200 consistently backfocuses at all zoom range. It's weird.

On the other hand, the Tokina 35-70 is fantastic, and my Sigma 50 F1.4 HSM is faster than my k-x's phase detect. It also works with my Sigma 50 F2.8 Macro at 1:1 macro mode.

Last edited by JinDesu; 04-20-2013 at 07:05 AM.
04-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the DAL 55-300 and it's actually a decent performer on the K-01. AF gets a little wonky sometimes but for the most part totally worth the $200-$300. Pics comes out fairly sharp too.

04-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

This thread reminds me of a person I know. When I lend them my K-01, they cannot get focus. Its amazing, but this person manages to misfocus every single shot, no matter how obvious the subject. And I know that I could pull it off in that situation, and I don't believe that I know any secret or special technique. Oh well.
The only AF behavior I noticed with my K-01 was that it was really poor with the DA L 50-200 before the firmware update, but its decent now. Just make sure you have it set to select AF point, and that you make the square the appropriate size, because it looks for most contrast inside the square and if its too big it might focus on something else. Another problem are very contrasty backgrounds that take away focus from subjects.
There is also a thread that lists lenses that aren't good on the K-01, so you might want to add yours or see if its already on that list.
04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick report on the Pentax 16-45mm zoom, at f/8... did a rough test today to figure out a best 'set and forget' manual focus setting. Far subject was about 150' away.

Manual focus -- learned that I have to put the infinity mark on the white line, NOT all the way to the right. Then it works fine... with great DOF from the sharp far subject up to a few feet away... at 16mm and 20mm... as you'd expect.

Did this test out of curiosity, to see if I could use this zoom lens the way I use my prime 28mm f/2.8... where I just put it on infinity at f/5.6 or f/8 and forget about it. No complaints about the autofocus, however. It is very fast and accurate on this lens.
04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This thread reminds me of a person I know. When I lend them my K-01, they cannot get focus. Its amazing, but this person manages to misfocus every single shot, no matter how obvious the subject. And I know that I could pull it off in that situation, and I don't believe that I know any secret or special technique. Oh well.
I went shooting in some museums yesterday, fairly low light, and took both my K-30 and K-01. Looking through the results, the biggest cause of problems was hand shake on slow shutter speeds - my own fault for hurrying. Comparing K-30 (PDAF) to K-01 (CDAF) to me manual focusing (focus peaking), I'd say (1) the number of shots with completely blown focus is about the same, (2) knowing your equipment and learning the right technique for it is the most important thing, no matter what AF method or camera brand/model you use, and (3) we really expect cameras to read our minds to know what we want them to focus on, which is just not possible with current technology.
04-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took out the K-01 with the 17-70 again yesterday, experimented a bit more with focus approaches, and while it was noticeably better and more shots were in focus than before, the focus was still unreliable with that lens. I'm not sure if it is something I am doing, but I don't experience this with other cameras.
04-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I took out the K-01 with the 17-70 again yesterday, experimented a bit more with focus approaches, and while it was noticeably better and more shots were in focus than before, the focus was still unreliable with that lens. I'm not sure if it is something I am doing, but I don't experience this with other cameras.
Thats the same thing I had previously said in another thread. I have only had the ist-ds as far as dslr's go, but have had several other prosumer cameras including some expensive ones. I have never had a camera that behaved the way this one does. I was rather disappointed when I first got it. As I have learned it a bit and used it more, I'm a bit more happy. I am hoping that since this one behaves so differently, its just a matter of getting used to predicting how the camera will behave and learning the settings. With any luck, after perhaps a steeper learning curve, I have my hopes up that it will work better (that has already happened to and extent which is why I have hope it goes further).
04-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
dmc
Forum Member

I have had similar problems with my K-01. I also changed to,spot focus and problem was gone. I prefer center spot focus anyway, so no foul for me.
07-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Does anybody have an experience of using K-01 with new Sigma 17-70: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary Review . How does AF work? If you can share it that would be nice. So far I use K-01 mostly with 16-45 and I am satisfied, but it would be really good to have an extra zoom.