Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Probably not!
I think we all want to experiment with all these different paradigm cameras (Q, K-01, GRD) and I beleive we are finding that they aren't generalist cameras - they're specialty cameras. They're actually each intended for a specific subset of users. The dSLR is our generalist camera,
I recently received a K-01 and ordered a Q with 01 prime. Yesterday I received a Carry-Speed VF-3 which I am intending to return. I think I'll be happier using the Q and K-01 for their primary uses, forget about esoteric pursuits. I expect the K-3 will be the best tool for super tele, hopefully with a new Pentax TC.

Kenafein, those shots do look good.

04-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The FA 35mm is not ultra-wide or slow. I used the DA*300 with and without TC and focus was soft in either case.
Yeah, I explained the problem in the rest of the post. The camera stops the lens down and thus the DoF in peaking is bigger than in the photo. Out of fairness I also mentioned lenses which will work poorly with peaking no matter what. As i said, you can try taking photos at even smaller aperture/wider DoF, if the scene allows. Then again, if you know that FP is backfocusing for you, you can try putting it just in front of the subject.
04-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, I explained the problem in the rest of the post. The camera stops the lens down and thus the DoF in peaking is bigger than in the photo.
I tested the FA 35 f2 wide open, the DA*300 was used wide open and at f5.6.

I've used FP with AF active, to confirm that focus was where I wanted. It appears to be accurate, but too coarse in some situations.
04-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

tested the FA 35 f2 wide open
Yes, but its only wide open when it takes the photo, not necessarily during live view, when it also peaks the focus.

04-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but its only wide open when it takes the photo, not necessarily during live view, when it also peaks the focus.
I don't think that is correct. It stops down to the selected aperture when it takes the photo, otherwise it's wide open.
04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have to say, with M and K lenses, the focus peaking much better (as they are not stopped down)
04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't think that is correct. It stops down to the selected aperture when it takes the photo, otherwise it's wide open.
Yep, pretty much... unless is a manual lens.

04-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The K-01 stops down somewhat in bright light. (This is easy to see, just sit indoors next a window with bright daylight outside and turn the camera back and forth from the bright window to the darker indoor room -- you'll hear it (and see it if you look through the front of the lens without blocking the light) clicking back and forth as it opens and closes the aperture. BUT it will stay wide-open during magnified focus-assist. I don't think focus peaking forces it to stay open though...
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The K-01 stops down somewhat in bright light. (This is easy to see, just sit indoors next a window with bright daylight outside and turn the camera back and forth from the bright window to the darker indoor room -- you'll hear it (and see it if you look through the front of the lens without blocking the light) clicking back and forth as it opens and closes the aperture. BUT it will stay wide-open during magnified focus-assist. I don't think focus peaking forces it to stay open though...
That's actually interesting ... didn't noticed it.
I have to try it now ... hmmm ...

In my defence though I am using manual lenses and it stays at whatever is set.
04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Can we make it do focus peaking AND magnified focus assist? I just recently ordered a K-01, so I'm interested in learning how to set it to do so.
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes, just press on OK for magnification.
04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yes, just press on OK for magnification.
Thanks! So maybe if OP can try using magnification in addition to the focus peaking and let us know how it goes...
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Thanks! So maybe if OP can try using magnification in addition to the focus peaking and let us know how it goes...
Np! You can even setup the amount of magnification you can have.
Can`t remember if you need to activate it first though...
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

It does seem really strange that it would stop down the lens during focus peaking mode. That really defeats the purpose, and the camera needs that info to make it's own focusing determination. Is the K-01 the only K camera that you have left? If you can afford the DA* 300 then the painful part is over. Even a used K-r should give you some great shots. (Assuming the AF on the K-01 isnt fast enough. It was with my DA55-300).
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The way I have it set up is that I have red button set to turn focus peaking on/off and then sometimes also use the digital zoom. But you need to start peaking before you hit the digital zoom, you can't toggle peaking during the digital zoom. And I think that digital zoom does, in fact, change aperture, which makes it very useful.

And the camera stopping down during regular live view, regardless of peaking, is well documented. There are a lot of threads and posts about this. I thought by now most of you knew. I read that it also happens with the K-30.