Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
It does seem really strange that it would stop down the lens during focus peaking mode. That really defeats the purpose, and the camera needs that info to make it's own focusing determination. Is the K-01 the only K camera that you have left? If you can afford the DA* 300 then the painful part is over. Even a used K-r should give you some great shots. (Assuming the AF on the K-01 isnt fast enough. It was with my DA55-300).
It has nothing to with focus peaking, even if it is off it will stop down. I do not why it does that, but it is to control the amount of light that falls on the sensor. Just try it, point your K-01 at the sky and it will stop down, cast a shadow over the lens with your hand, and t will open again.

04-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I think the reason the K-01 stops up and down like that is to maintain the same relative brightness on the LCD screen. I wish there would be an option to turn that OFF as there are times when this is rather annoying.
04-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I think the reason the K-01 stops up and down like that is to maintain the same relative brightness on the LCD screen. I wish there would be an option to turn that OFF as there are times when this is rather annoying.
I have a Canon A720 p&s and the LCD shows the actual exposure. That is an extremely handy feature, I would definitely use it on my K-01 and Q. I consider it unsatisfactory that Pentax does not offer this feature.
04-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I have a Canon A720 p&s and the LCD shows the actual exposure. That is an extremely handy feature, I would definitely use it on my K-01 and Q. I consider it unsatisfactory that Pentax does not offer this feature.
The same thing happens with the Nikon V 1. It's practically useless for manual shooting.

04-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The same thing happens with the Nikon V 1. It's practically useless for manual shooting.
I don't understand that statement. M mode is dead easy with actual exposure showing in the LCD. Too light or dark, change the exposure, see the results in real time. Coupled with a a histogram, it's pretty foolproof.
04-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I don't understand that statement. M mode is dead easy with actual exposure showing in the LCD. Too light or dark, change the exposure, see the results in real time. Coupled with a a histogram, it's pretty foolproof.
Maybe it was a setup issue then? I looked throughout the menu and the manual. The V 1 did not show the actual exposure. The exposure was bright and constant no matter how much i stopped down the lens. The only thing I did see was a reference to an exposure meter, that would tell you how off you were on exposure, but i was unable to pull it up following the directions(perhaps because of a firmware change). Tell me how to get it working, it would be of great service to my friend.
04-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The K-01 stops down somewhat in bright light. (This is easy to see, just sit indoors next a window with bright daylight outside and turn the camera back and forth from the bright window to the darker indoor room -- you'll hear it (and see it if you look through the front of the lens without blocking the light) clicking back and forth as it opens and closes the aperture. BUT it will stay wide-open during magnified focus-assist. I don't think focus peaking forces it to stay open though...

OK so I've tested this and it is NOT stopping down at all in any kind of light conditions. It makes some noises, but the aperture stays wide open until I click the shutter.

04-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
OK so I've tested this and it is NOT stopping down at all in any kind of light conditions. It makes some noises, but the aperture stays wide open until I click the shutter.
Are you sure? Then what are the noises? The screen compensates so it doesn't get darker -- all you might see a tiny DOF difference. I've seen it do it, and sometimes it has gotten stuck in the stopped down mode if I shut it off when it is doing that or change lenses or something. But if you can manage to point it at a light while at the same time look through the front of the lens so you can see the aperture (just pointing a flashlight in there might do it), then it is plain as day. It stops down to f/5.6 or f/8ish...
04-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe it was a setup issue then? I looked throughout the menu and the manual. The V 1 did not show the actual exposure.
I think we've crossed lines. Let me start again. My Canon A720 shows real time exposure that corresponds to the camera settings. I wish Pentax had that feature, that's all.
04-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I think we've crossed lines. Let me start again. My Canon A720 shows real time exposure that corresponds to the camera settings. I wish Pentax had that feature, that's all.
Yes, I was agreeing that that feature is a must, and that the Nikon V1 behaves even worse than the Pentax, as it doesn't even support Av mode with adapted lenses.
04-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think that is correct. It stops down to the selected aperture when it takes the photo, otherwise it's wide open.
I believe you are correct about this. You can (must) remap the Green Button in Menu Options to Preview and operate the GB to see actual DoF in LiveView on the Q and K-01.
04-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K01 stops down the lens automatically giving you more DOF than wide open, unless the lens has an aperture ring you turn it to the aperture you need.
You loose auto metering though and need to use the green button.
But you've got a DA lens, so thats a bummer. (maybe try taping over the contacts?)
The FA35 has a aperture ring, so that solves the problem for it.
04-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just made a correction in my original post. Here's what I meant to say: "I then shot with focus peaking, no magnification. The AF shots were in focus, the MF shots were out of focus." In other words, focus peaking was not accurate enough to manually focus. Sorry for the confusion.
04-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Are you sure? Then what are the noises? The screen compensates so it doesn't get darker -- all you might see a tiny DOF difference. I've seen it do it, and sometimes it has gotten stuck in the stopped down mode if I shut it off when it is doing that or change lenses or something. But if you can manage to point it at a light while at the same time look through the front of the lens so you can see the aperture (just pointing a flashlight in there might do it), then it is plain as day. It stops down to f/5.6 or f/8ish...

100% sure ... I was constantly looking at the aperture and I even shined a bright LED flash light over the lens. Aperture did NOT changed at any point in time ... however, the camera was compensating on the screen - or at least trying to (seen that in the mirror ).

So yea ... I don't think so ... at least for me didn't do it. And I used the XS lens.

Last edited by mrNewt; 04-21-2013 at 10:41 AM.
04-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
100% sure ... I was constantly looking at the aperture and I even shined a bright LED flash light over the lens. Aperture did NOT changed at any point in time ... however, the camera was compensating on the screen - or at least trying to (seen that in the mirror ).

So yea ... I don't think so ... at least for me didn't do it. And I used the XS lenses.
Hummm... what mode were you in ? You are referring to multiple XS Lense(s)... to my knowledge there's only one XS lens, the 40XS.