Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Retro the K-01

With the ample supply of manual 50mm lenses and their usefulness. I'd like to see a retro bare bones body. With even less features than the K-01. Basically a box with a sensor and a k-mount. No autofocus, no external LCD - just a viewfinder LCD with focus peaking. Make it look retro like the K1000.

04-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That would be pretty cool, actually. A camera built around the sensor with no bells and whistles, just maximum image quality at smallest size and lowest price. Not sure if there is a wider market for it, though. Pentax wants to sell cameras to everybody, not only die hard Pentaxians and hardcore photographers
04-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I want a wooden one.
Be nice to make a large dovetailed oak box with a cloth hood for head
04-17-2013, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I want a wooden one.
Be nice to make a large dovetailed oak box with a cloth hood for head
You mean like this? Prime lens, rear screen for focus and composition, possibly the Mk1 version of the K-01? LOL

[IMG] [/IMG]

The more I look at this old camera of mine, the more the K-01 comes to mind, what goes around comes around.

Chris

04-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That would be pretty cool, actually. A camera built around the sensor with no bells and whistles, just maximum image quality at smallest size and lowest price. Not sure if there is a wider market for it, though. Pentax wants to sell cameras to everybody, not only die hard Pentaxians and hardcore photographers
I'm not even sure that it would appeal much to the hardcore crowd, since the folks who want manual-everything usually hate EVFs, and also wouldn't settle for a crop sensor - they'd want their old glass to work as designed. And, as it's been said many times, most of the features being thrown out are software and already written, so there isn't much cost savings (I'm going to assume the gear to uncripple the K-mount would offset removing the AF motor).
04-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
You mean like this? Prime lens, rear screen for focus and composition, possibly the Mk1 version of the K-01? LOL

Yep more or less that one !
bloody great brass green button close at hand too
04-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I`d be game for a striped down camera with no LCD view !

As a matter of fact Holga has something within those lines but no K mount - not an actual product ... cool concept nonetheless.
http://www.saikatbiswas.com/web/Projects/Holga_D.htm

Last edited by mrNewt; 04-17-2013 at 05:48 AM.
04-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I`d be game for a striped down camera with no LCD view !

As a matter of fact Holga has something within those lines but no K mount - not an actual product ... cool concept nonetheless.
Holga D - Holga Digtal Camera - Saikat Biswas
Thats a really great concept! Imagine that, but in Pentax quality, with K-mount. Slap a nice pancake prime on there... mmm
04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Thats a really great concept! Imagine that, but in Pentax quality, with K-mount. Slap a nice pancake prime on there... mmm
Too good to ever be true ... ...
04-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it'd get cheaper than the current price of a K-01... albeit it's out of production, but put it into manual focus mode and it's pretty much what you are envisioning.
04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I don't think it'd get cheaper than the current price of a K-01... albeit it's out of production, but put it into manual focus mode and it's pretty much what you are envisioning.
I'd love something like a digital ZX-5. It's relatively small and lightweight, and the controls are perfect: Dial on the left for ISO and exposure compensation. Dial on the right for shutter speed. Aperture ring on the lens. No LCD, no menus. No menus means no preference settings, which means you couldn't set the white balance or any JPEG processing options. Thus it would make sense for it to shoot only RAW, and set everything else in post-processing. Let the camera do only camera work, and save the computer work for your computer.

I don't think a camera like that would be cheaper to manufacture, though. It wouldn't be about saving money, it would just be a difference in philosophy.
04-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Thus it would make sense for it to shoot only RAW, and set everything else in post-processing.
I agree. Bring in some nostalgia of film, but with a digital finish. Even without an EVF memory cards are so large and cheap just fillem up and sort it out later. I often feel distracted by all the previews and what not I do in camera. The old way was stricter and more focused - you simply took pictures - the rest came later.
04-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote

I don't think a camera like that would be cheaper to manufacture, though. It wouldn't be about saving money, it would just be a difference in philosophy.
Ah - in that case, you are right.