Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Same here. My Sony cards worked perfectly with an FZ200, but had errors when using with a Nikon D7000 and now also with the K-30. I have switched to a Sandisk Extreme and so far no problems.

12-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
results with Sandisk 32GB card

There was a post-Thanksgiving sale at a local warehouse store, and I bought a Sandisk UHS-1 card for less than $20. Popped it into my K-01 and it recognized it immediately. Works so far (5 mins of photographing my cats). Sandisk henceforth!

Larry
12-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #48

I've had hiccups with the two Sony 32GB UHS-1 cards I have, an occasional write error that goes away when the camera is switched off then on again.
01-22-2014, 01:21 AM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by w6wat Quote
I just purchased two Samsung 32GB SDHC UHS1 Class 10 cards. Neither will work in my K30 bodies. They work fine in my computers, and they work fine in my Kx. I tried formatting one in the Kx, which worked fine, and then putting it in one of the K30's. Again, "Memory Card Error". Perhaps Samsung makes the card for Sony. There are only a few companies in the world that make Flash memory, Toshiba, Samsung and some Chinese companies. At any rate, Samsung memory doesn't work in the K30 either. I find the compatibility with the Kx and not the K30, interesting and puzzling at the same time. I didn't try them in my K100D bodies.

By the way, yes the card lock was turned off. Yes, I know how to insert memory cards. My two K30 bodies are each updated to Firmware version 1.05. Yes they both have fresh batteries. Polaroid 32GB Class 10 SDHC, and Unirex 32GB Class 10 SDHC cards work perfectly.
I have the same problem with my k-3. My k-5 IIs will work with the Samsung cards, but the k-3 won't

01-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
same here

My K20D works with the Samsung 16GB UHS1 card, the K-01 (with the latest firmware) is not... [Memory card error]
On the other side no problems with Sandisc 16GB UHS-1 card, this one works in both cameras.
01-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Given the wide range of cards that seem to have issues, I have to wonder if there are variances in the SD Controllers used in the cameras that may be causing the faults.
There might be cases where two identically branded cards, from different production batches, that also might have enough variance to cause faults.
01-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #52

FWIW, I bought two Samsung 16Gb UHS-1 cards at the same time as my K-01 (a few weeks ago) and they both work fine... they worked on the original firmware it came with (1.01 I'm pretty sure) and also after the upgrade to 1.04. Odd that it's so inconsistent between cameras.
03-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #53

using Sandisk 16G class10 , system(1.04) broke down occasionally, fixed by pulling out the battery and reset. anyone got the same problem??? just now i use an old kingston 2G SD card instead and dozens of pics are made, slow but smooth. i'll try more to clarify whether there is a connection between memory cards and system error.

03-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
My K20D works with the Samsung 16GB UHS1 card, the K-01 (with the latest firmware) is not... [Memory card error]
On the other side no problems with Sandisc 16GB UHS-1 card, this one works in both cameras.
I don't know if it's the new firmware or the fact that I've formatted my Samsung memory card on my pc (in a card reader) - but since the new firmware I can use it!
Before V1.05 all I got from this card when inserted in my K-01 was "Memory card error"
03-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #55
Forum Member

Reformatted the card on my PC and the card works like a charm now on my K-3
03-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
I have had so many problems with SD cards of different manufacturers that I pretty much use only Sandisk now. I have never had any problems with Sandisk cards.
03-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #57

I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier, but when formatting memory cards on your PC/MAC, you're not supposed to just do treat it like any old removable drive. The SD Association recommends their formatting utility to avoid problems:

"The SD Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards."

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4
03-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #58
Pentaxian

According to that site, SDXC cards are supposed to be formatted in exFat

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc/

While we have camera with UHS-1 controllers, which if I read things properly, is part of the SDXC standard, do any of them read/write to exFat?
I don't think the K-01 does. Any K3 owners tried exFat formatted cards?

That utility seems to detect the card type - SDHC in the case of the Song 32 gig cards - and sets the partition type to the required standard.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 03-18-2014 at 06:46 AM.
05-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #59
Inactive Account

I don't know if this is how I SHOULD be doing things, or not, but I always re-format my cards IN whatever camera they're being used in each time I re-insert them after I've downloaded and backed them up on the computer. I figure that way, I not only have deleted all the previous image, but I should have a "clean, blank slate" of a card upon which to write brand new image data.

I got my K-3 from B&H last November (sole U.S. source, as far as I know, for the SE), and it came with an 80 MBPS Sandisk UHS 1 32 GB card. I decided to put that card in Slot 2, which I use for JPEGs and get a bigger, faster card for Slot 1 and RAW images. The best deal on a really fast card I found was a bit more than HALF what the Sandisk Extreme III cards were going for on a Sony 94 MBPS UHS 1 64 GB card, which I bought even though I should avoid Sony "like the plague," since THEY'RE THE ONES who've pushed Pentax so far out of third place in the DSLR market (among other reasons I've never been a big fan). But money is money, and it looked like a good deal. Worked fine so far, but last week, after downloading all the images from that and the other card onto the computer, when I put it back into Slot 1, I got the "card error message." I figured it was because the "disk ejection software" on my computer had my SD cards grayed out and wouldn't let me officially "eject" them (might be due to the new external reader I've installed). So I pulled it out and re-inserted it, but it took about THREE re-inserts before the K-3 finally recognized it and I was able to re-format it.

I haven't done the latest firmware update on my K-3 yet (still on 1.01), but the card should still work, I think. It's been working since November. I agree with prior posters that Sony (or perhaps Samsung, if they're making the cards) is cutting corners making some of them, and the tolerances are too thin, making them give card errors sometimes. THUS, deal or no deal, I'll WAIT until I can get Sandisk on sale from now on. After all, a deal's no deal at all if your card suddenly won't load... or worse yet, if you take it out of the camera only to find it won't read on the computer.

I've always thought most Sony products were overpriced. Now I've discovered that when you find ones that seem reasonably priced, perhaps that should set off a warning flag.
Jeff
07-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #60

I had a problem with a sony 10GB 40Mb memory card. My K-500 refuse to recognize it and give me a memory card error.
Upgrading camera firmware to v 1.02 fixed the problem.