Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 Discontinued in the States???

I don't know if that would be the explanation for this; but I happened to check the Pentax Imaging Website this morning and in their "Hybrid" Camera section, only the Pentax Q and Q10 were displayed. Of course I know that Japan's Pentax website has dropped the K-01 for awhile now, so this was inevitable. Perhaps the announcement of the Ricoh GR had something to do with this occurring now as well (although the K-01 is an ILC and the GR is a fixed lens camera) as well. I wonder how many K-01s are left in stock in the various US outlets? I also note that the Pentax K-5 is no longer listed in the DSLR section of the website......

Last edited by remnant; 04-19-2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: additional info
04-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It has been reported discontinued quite a while ago and reported numerous times actually.
04-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It has been reported discontinued quite a while ago and reported numerous times actually.
What he said. Many dealers still have stock, so get one now if that is what you want!

Steve
04-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said. Many dealers still have stock, so get one now if that is what you want!

Steve
Yes I was aware of the announcement that there would be no replacement to the K-01 so that for all intents and purposes the K-01 line is dead. I was merely pointing out the fact that yesterday one could go to the Pentax-Ricoh Imaging website and see the K-01 on display and today it is not (as well as the K-5 BTW). I was also wondering whether the announcement of the new Ricoh camera may have precipitated the event and finally, I was stating my curiosity as to the availability of the camera in the various stores here.

04-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by remnant Quote
Yes I was aware of the announcement that there would be no replacement to the K-01 so that for all intents and purposes the K-01 line is dead. I was merely pointing out the fact that yesterday one could go to the Pentax-Ricoh Imaging website and see the K-01 on display and today it is not (as well as the K-5 BTW). I was also wondering whether the announcement of the new Ricoh camera may have precipitated the event and finally, I was stating my curiosity as to the availability of the camera in the various stores here.
Changes at the Pentax Imaging site are unpredictable and often lag FAR behind those of other Pentax sites. While the change could be a harbinger of new cameras being added, past experience suggests that it is more likely a reflection of slow updates and poor maintenance of the site.
04-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by remnant Quote
Yeah, I understand and I didn't mean to sound harsh. Pentax have been very confusing about the K-01 as they said "not completely discontinued" in an interview but also said discontinued in other places.
04-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey guys, my sister lives in the USA and might need something to replace her K-r, and I immediately suggested the K-01 because of the ridiculously good price it was before being discontinued, but is there anywhere she can still get it, even if it's a bit more expensive (under $350 or so)?

04-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
dmc
Forum Member

When the price dropped to $269.00 I had to grab one, if only for sentimental reasons. I was only able to get a yellow one, which I thought I would hate, but it turned out to be quite attractive in real life, in a funky, nouveau design kind of way. And the quality of the shots turned out to be quite good. I am having a blast with this thing
04-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not sure why you'd ever NOT get yellow. The camera is a design piece as well as a camera, so why wouldn't you want it to look as different as possible...?
Just my opinion.
04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
dmc
Forum Member

Did you read my post through to the end? Just wondering?
04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes I read it - "you" is often used to mean "one", as in "Why would you ever buy a camera other than Pentax?" - does not mean "Why would YOU, Mr. DMC, ever buy a camera other than Pentax?" - it means "Why would people, in general, out there in the world, ever buy a..." etc.

That's how I was meaning "you". I meant that I dunno why people would get one other than yellow, except for maybe if EVERYONE had bought a yellow one then I wouldn't want the same thing everyone had... but I don't think yellow was very popular, or indeed the camera at all, so I will always love my yellow one.
04-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
Hey guys, my sister lives in the USA and might need something to replace her K-r, and I immediately suggested the K-01 because of the ridiculously good price it was before being discontinued, but is there anywhere she can still get it, even if it's a bit more expensive (under $350 or so)?
I'm still wanting to know this, of anyone has any answers (although doesn't only need to be in the states anymore).
04-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #13

Hi Quazimoto,

I just purchased one a few days ago at Adorama. It comes with the Marc Newson case at $449. If I'm not wrong B&H Photo sells them too but with 2 lenses instead of the 40mm XS. They're all around the 399-479 range. You probably can try Amazon as well. You probably can get body only at around 350 and below.
04-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
I'm still wanting to know this, of anyone has any answers (although doesn't only need to be in the states anymore).
SRS Microsystems, a very reliable supplier here in the UK, still lists them, it's where I got mine, no yellow ones though.

Pentax K-01 Cameras - Compact System Cameras - SRS Microsystems

Chris