Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should I tell my K-01 a lie?

Question -- with my older Pentax-A lenses, the K-01 asks me to confirm the lens mm each time I start the camera. So, I enter '28' for my 28mm lens, like that. But, what would happen if I entered, say, '200' instead... a purposely wrong number?

Does entering the number do anything more than just telling the camera what to put in the EXIF data? And if so, is there an advantage to (forgive me, Saint Veronica*) ... lying to my K-01?

*The patron saint for photographers and laundry workers.

04-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Question -- with my older Pentax-A lenses, the K-01 asks me to confirm the lens mm each time I start the camera. So, I enter '28' for my 28mm lens, like that. But, what would happen if I entered, say, '200' instead... a purposely wrong number?

Does entering the number do anything more than just telling the camera what to put in the EXIF data? And if so, is there an advantage to (forgive me, Saint Veronica*) ... lying to my K-01?

*The patron saint for photographers and laundry workers.
The reason it asks you is so that it knows how much camera shake to compensate for with the SR mechanism. If you enter a longer FL, the SR mechanism may overcompensate and introduce blur, so don't do it Going too low doesn't hurt, however, though you won't get optimal stabilization then.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Adam -- that makes sense. But SR isn't on all the time, is it? Only below a certain shutter speed... or a given shutter speed/aperture combination?

This also could become a firmware selling feature, where the camera would increase shake reduction on Friday and Saturday nights, or for owners in Russia or my native San Francisco. Bottoms up, товарищи!
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

@Adam -- that makes sense. But SR isn't on all the time, is it? Only below a certain shutter speed... or a given shutter speed/aperture combination?

This also could become a firmware selling feature, where the camera would increase shake reduction on Friday and Saturday nights, or for owners in Russia or my native San Francisco. Bottoms up, товарищи!
It's basically on all the time, actually, though it doesn't have any effect at fast shutter speeds. Lol!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

SR is on anytime you half-press I think.

Edit: Adam got there first!
04-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys -- am also reading earlier posts on this, starting with a 2010 report from Falconeye which is very interesting. Takeaway -- use that 200mm or 300mm at the beach on a sunny day... at 1/1000 or 1/2000 second, respectively. No blurred bikinis, no way! And, at the other end, SR really kicks in at 1/60 sec or lower. Real two-stop-or-better handheld help.

The problem, of course, is when your daughter, the aspiring ballerina, is dancing Swan Lake in that dimly-lit high school gymnasium. En pointe! La blurre trés creatif! Otherwise, it's credit card time --
SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM $1,000 [ka-ching]
SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] $2,850 [ka-ching kaching]
SMC Pentax-A* 400mm F2.8 ED [IF] $3,200 [ka-ching kaching ka-ching... 'ka-ching', for you younger folks, is the sound of a last-century device called a 'cash register' taking your money]
...and, for the last two telephoto lenses, you'll need a tripod, right? Too big to hand-hold?

I think the solution to this will come from software -- someday, maybe soon. To take that unsharp photo made from your <$200 lens, and burp it out tack-sharp. Meantime, surf's up!
04-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks guys -- am also reading earlier posts on this, starting with a 2010 report from Falconeye which is very interesting. Takeaway -- use that 200mm or 300mm at the beach on a sunny day... at 1/1000 or 1/2000 second, respectively. No blurred bikinis, no way!
Somehow, I doubt it's the bikinis you want to see clearly .

QuoteQuote:
I think the solution to this will come from software -- someday, maybe soon. To take that unsharp photo made from your <$200 lens, and burp it out tack-sharp. Meantime, surf's up!
Someday...
04-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks guys -- am also reading earlier posts on this, starting with a 2010 report from Falconeye which is very interesting. Takeaway -- use that 200mm or 300mm at the beach on a sunny day... at 1/1000 or 1/2000 second, respectively. No blurred bikinis, no way! And, at the other end, SR really kicks in at 1/60 sec or lower. Real two-stop-or-better handheld help.

The problem, of course, is when your daughter, the aspiring ballerina, is dancing Swan Lake in that dimly-lit high school gymnasium. En pointe! La blurre trés creatif! Otherwise, it's credit card time --
SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM $1,000 [ka-ching]
SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] $2,850 [ka-ching kaching]
SMC Pentax-A* 400mm F2.8 ED [IF] $3,200 [ka-ching kaching ka-ching... 'ka-ching', for you younger folks, is the sound of a last-century device called a 'cash register' taking your money]
...and, for the last two telephoto lenses, you'll need a tripod, right? Too big to hand-hold?

You realistically want a tripod - or, at least, a monopod with the 200/2.8 also. Great lens, btw., I have a copy that I adore. I would guess that it would also be the right length for most school gymnasiums.

Another alternative might be the 60-250, although not an f/2.8 it has good reports on here (IIRC Heie is a big fan).....of course, that comes with it's own ka-ching....

04-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

With K-01 you can choose for SR to work only at half press of the release button or (as I did) to work all the time. The last one does consume the battery more offcourse.
04-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@tclausen -- you're right about the tripod/monopod... but I'm trying to stay with handheld; less stuff to cart around. I have a 55-300mm lens, and will try 300mm at 1/2000 tomorrow, in the sunlight. Hope it cures the blurring I've been getting. As for the indoor ballet, there's no hope. Maybe I can give them all Botox injections before the performance, hoping they will all freeze up simultaneously so I can take that 1/30 SR-perfect picture. Lighting!

@Ron... I have mine on #1... when you press the shutter only. I don't think I need to have it on all the time, since I don't use Live Preview...

@Giklab -- maybe we can get Pentax to bring in some night-vision technology here. A Starfinder scope in every K-3! After all, if we can see Taliban sharing a hash pipe on a moonless night in Kandahar, a high school gym in Peoria should be a snap.

Last edited by jon404; 04-20-2013 at 02:30 AM.
04-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Re: gym shooting

At 300mm try to keep your shutter speeds above 1/100. If I managed it with a D5000 a K-01 should be a breeze.

My setup was D5000 and Tamron 70-300 VC USD 4-5.6 at ISO 1600, in the gym I got 1/100-1/200 shooting volleyball, and it the theatre I got 1/60. Was almost-close-enough for a dancing girl.
04-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

@jon404 Your biggest ka-ching mistake was having a girl in the first place. I did it twice!! Wouldn't trade either for a A*1200/8, of course, but it doesn't stop at leotards and tutus.