Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 and DXOmark Sports score

Got some great advice today on Dpreview -- posted a question 'what's the highest ISO you'd use for a handheld snapshot', and Ultimitsu replied --
QuoteQuote:
What you are really asking is what "quality" should be considered acceptable, and for each camera, what is the ISO that gives you that standard of quality. Luckily DXO have thought about this first. They basically said SNR of 30, colour depth of 18 bit, and DR of 9 stops is what can be objectively considered "good enough". So they assess all cameras's "sports score" on that criteria.
So I looked up the K-01 on DXOmark, and they say that ISO 1135 is the most you should go for low-light pictures. Interesting! Just confirms our general consensus that you can use ISO 800, or ISO 1600, without too much damage. And I know, I know, that I should use a tripod... but I guess it's just too much trouble to cart around...

04-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Got some great advice today on Dpreview -- posted a question 'what's the highest ISO you'd use for a handheld snapshot', and Ultimitsu replied --

So I looked up the K-01 on DXOmark, and they say that ISO 1135 is the most you should go for low-light pictures. Interesting! Just confirms our general consensus that you can use ISO 800, or ISO 1600, without too much damage. And I know, I know, that I should use a tripod... but I guess it's just too much trouble to cart around...
Or you are in a situation where you can't use one.