Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

Wireless Flash setup

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Everyone:

Im a long time lurker first time owner of a K-01, just unboxed my yellow brick last night, and I'm waiting for my lens too show up in the mail.

Well I'm waiting I was wondering about compatible wireless flash setups.

My goal is too use my camera for (among many other things) cataloguing art pieces (exclusively no repo work).

Being on a limited budget and having limited space, I was thinking of purchasing two flash (speedlights) units rather then strobes or lamps.

Would
The cowboy receivers and transmitter
CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Trigger for External Speelights with 1 Trigger and 2 Receivers: Amazon.ca: Electronics
work with two
YN-460's
YongNuo YN-460 Speedlight Shoe Mount Flash for Multiple Brands | eBay

I think I read in another thread that all this worked with a k-01, but I wanted too confirm and get a general opinion of wether it was still the best bang for your buck.

Thanks!

Houston

04-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is yes. For RF wireless all you are doing is sending a simple 'fire' signal. So just about any of the generic wireless triggers will work. Some work better at longer ranges than others, but for what you are doing range is not an issue. And since you are not mounting the flashes on the camera but triggering them remotely the same applies there as well. Just about anything will work. The YongNuo have a good reputation and folks seem to like them.

I have a set of Cactus v5 and Nikon sb-26 flashes which cost me more than your setup but work just as well. Point is, most any setup will work in this configuration. What you want to look for is how easy it is to adjust the power on the flashes and the availability of flash modifiers (soft box, snoot, etc) for the flash you buy.
04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Short answer is yes. For RF wireless all you are doing is sending a simple 'fire' signal. So just about any of the generic wireless triggers will work. Some work better at longer ranges than others, but for what you are doing range is not an issue. And since you are not mounting the flashes on the camera but triggering them remotely the same applies there as well. Just about anything will work. The YongNuo have a good reputation and folks seem to like them.

I have a set of Cactus v5 and Nikon sb-26 flashes which cost me more than your setup but work just as well. Point is, most any setup will work in this configuration. What you want to look for is how easy it is to adjust the power on the flashes and the availability of flash modifiers (soft box, snoot, etc) for the flash you buy.
Thank you for the prompt response

Would there be a problem with mounting one of them on the camera for general shooting?
04-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not as far as I know. On the k-5 I would say definitely but there have been a few threads indicating that the k-01 does not work with all flashes. But I think they were trying to do P-TTL and since the YongNuo are all manual I cannot imagine it would not work.

Maybe somebody who has those can jump in and tell you.

04-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I use a K-30 not a K-01 but I have just been through this. I bought a YN 560 as a second light source to my Metz. The YN works fine on camera, only in full manual of course. Off camera though, it is only a "dumb" slave, I can't use the on board flash as a wireless controller. So I too have to find an appropriate wireless trigger as the YN will fire at the first flash on the mounted unit. My only other alternative is to set the on-camera flash as primary and set both slaves to "Dumb" slave mode which means the on board flash changes my lighting.

I have read here that the Yongnou 602 wireless triggers will work with Pentax but the 603 get mixed results - I couldn't get these to work with my setup at all. In short, I'm also looking at the Cowboy triggers as they seem to get the best results with Pentax.
04-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting, i want a good, cheap and k-01 compatible flash
04-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #7

After much research on this forum and some gambling on my part, I took the dive and bought a set of PT 04s off fleabay today. They will take up to two weeks to arrive but for $29 I can't complain.

Will post a review when I've tested them. Let us know how you fare houstonwkv.

04-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!
Ordering tonight, I will let everyone know.
04-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use cowboy triggers with yongnuo flashes, works great, have fun...

04-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here are some links that may be useful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club-184.html#post2363247

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/206870-...boystudio.html

I like the vivitar 285hv with the manual selector, as you can turn your flash power from full to 1/2 to 1/4 to 1/16 makes it easy for quick adjustment if you want more or less light. Obviously you can change something in camera to compensate as well but with sync speed limits the flash is sometimes easier.
04-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What "should work" on the K-01 and what actually works are two completely different things. We have a thread a about flashes that do NOT work on the K-01, and its a long list. I could not get my NP-04 triggers to work. The only flash that I have been able to get to work on the K-01 is the AF540.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/219174-problem-external-flash.html
04-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm using the yongnuo 602 triggers with a SB-24, works fine.
04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #13

...I have been using the Yongnuo YN-560iii which has a built in RF-602/603 receive capability. I tried the 603 TX but had no luck with the K-01 ... the RF-602 TX (for Nikon) however works like a charm...bullet-proof...I do have to place a piece of tape over the upper right hot shoe contact, but that is the only 'gotcha"...the 2.4 ghz capability gives you very extended range and the ability to "leap tall buildings at a single bound"
04-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a K-01 and the Cowboy Studio NPT-04 set works perfectly with it, and with my Yong-Nuo 460-II and 560-II flashes (the "-II" is important).

Reliable range is 30 feet. If you want a lot longer than that, it's Pocket Wizard time, for a good deal more money. But the Cowboy receiver/transmitter will get you outdoors in daylight -- where regular infrared optical flash washes out in the sunlight. The Cowboy also triggers through walls... you can be outside and set off a flash that is inside. I wrote a full description of all this on the Xara-Users graphics forum, at http://board.xara-users.info/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5003 ... since then, have used the NPT-04 set on my K-01, no problems.

Now. if you are thinking of making a buck with radio wireless, check out Scott Hargis' website -- at - Lighting For Real Estate Photography ... his videos are worth every penny of their cost. Sweet spot is applying what you learn not o jobs for cheap real estate agents, but for industrial and facility photography for small-to-medium size corporations that make things. Good luck!

Last edited by jon404; 04-25-2013 at 08:57 PM.
04-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronnie B Quote
the RF-602 TX (for Nikon) however works like a charm...bullet-proof...I do have to place a piece of tape over the upper right hot shoe contact, but that is the only 'gotcha"...
Can I ask you why you have to do that ?

I didn't and mine are working fine so far.