Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Jose Del Monte
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
K-01 jpeg best quality +1

Stumbled upon an additional setting for highest jpeg quality (expect file size increase of 25%) for that K10Dish smooth look.

Words of caution before you proceed:

Tinkering with your camera using third party software poses a risk of bricking your K-01 and not covers warranty.

QuoteQuote:
"The tool is currently in beta version, and some functionality is inactive. It may have some bugs. PK_Tether is freeware, works in all versions Windows and requires .NET 3.5 framework.
Use at your own risk.

1. Download and run the latest version of PK-Tether
2. Connect K-01 to PC using the data cable then turn on and wait until the buttons on the PK tether lits up (may take a few seconds)
3. Change the value of jpeg quality to 4 stars (the K-01 screen will blink once).
4. Click disconnect on the PK tether; turn off camera and disconnect cables.
5. Your K-01 is now set to highest jpeg quality setting.

Note: If you change the jpeg quality on-cam, you will lose your highest IQ setting and will need to redo the whole procedure using PK tether.



P.S.

If case you're wondering, no, It doesn't seem to work for changing movie quality setting. :P


Last edited by Salagubang; 04-25-2013 at 07:20 PM.
04-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
Interesting...so is there any noticeable difference without pixel peeping?
04-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Jose Del Monte
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
Interesting...so is there any noticeable difference without pixel peeping?
Naah, you need to pixel peep and crop heavy to see the beauty. What I like about it is, it can take massive sharpening and contrast (in-cam and off) with little to no jaggy lines in the image.

Needing more set of eyes to see if there's really a noticeable benefit.
04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
Interesting find. I will play with it some over the next few days and see if I can post a few comparisons.

04-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
New Member
Markitectonic's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 10
PK Tether

Is PK-Tether configured for the K-01 now? I didn't see it in the list of supported Pentax cameras.
04-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
yeh comparisons would be ace

top stuff
04-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Jose Del Monte
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Markitectonic Quote
Is PK-Tether configured for the K-01 now? I didn't see it in the list of supported Pentax cameras.
It's buggy, laggy and will not work as a tethering tool for K-01 but it can used to change the image quality part for jpeg.
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
New Member
Defective Camera's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
It's buggy, laggy and will not work as a tethering tool for K-01 but it can used to change the image quality part for jpeg.
Thanks for the tip, sir. Not sure if I see a huge difference in JPEG quality after upping to 4-stars. Guess I'll have to pixel peep a lot harder. One thing I did notice was an increase in file size so there must be a difference somewhere.

Oh, I tried the same trick on my K-X but no free lunch, it doesn't work.

04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alexandria VA USA
Posts: 315
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
It's buggy, laggy and will not work as a tethering tool for K-01 but it can used to change the image quality part for jpeg.
Is this something that just needs work or is the K-01 not setup at all for tethering. I know Pentax doesn't advertise it as tetherable but sometimes the software features get left in because of reuse or back doors.
04-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Jose Del Monte
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
Is this something that just needs work or is the K-01 not setup at all for tethering. I know Pentax doesn't advertise it as tetherable but sometimes the software features get left in because of reuse or back doors.
Here's what the author says about the release:

QuoteQuote:
I spent a lot of time trying to add K01 support, but only with partial success – I got communication but wasn’t able to download photo. Maybe I will try again, but not in near future.
04-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Junior Member
caver3d's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
This software is in beta. Here are the author's comments:

"The tool is currently in beta version, and some functionality is inactive. It may have some bugs. PK_Tether is freeware, works in all versions Windows and requires .NET 3.5 framework.
Use at your own risk."

You (the OP) really need to caution others, as we don't know if there could be any negative consequences. Some may try to do more than up the jpeg quality (and even that could be a chancy exercise). If it bricked my K-01, I would sure be mad as heck about it.
04-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Jose Del Monte
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caver3d Quote
This software is in beta. Here are the author's comments:

"The tool is currently in beta version, and some functionality is inactive. It may have some bugs. PK_Tether is freeware, works in all versions Windows and requires .NET 3.5 framework.
Use at your own risk."

You (the OP) really need to caution others, as we don't know if there could be any negative consequences. Some may try to do more than up the jpeg quality (and even that could be a chancy exercise). If it bricked my K-01, I would sure be mad as heck about it.
Thank you for the reminder. Updated the original post to reflect the author's warning.
04-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Interesting find. I will play with it some over the next few days and see if I can post a few comparisons.
have not forgotten to post comparisons but first try yielded only files of same size and zero difference that I could see. Assume i did not get the 4th star to stick and will start over.
04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 168
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
Stumbled upon an additional setting for highest jpeg quality (expect file size increase of 25%) for that K10Dish smooth look.

Words of caution before you proceed:

Tinkering with your camera using third party software poses a risk of bricking your K-01 and not covers warranty.




1. Download and run the latest version of PK-Tether
2. Connect K-01 to PC using the data cable then turn on and wait until the buttons on the PK tether lits up (may take a few seconds)
3. Change the value of jpeg quality to 4 stars (the K-01 screen will blink once).
4. Click disconnect on the PK tether; turn off camera and disconnect cables.
5. Your K-01 is now set to highest jpeg quality setting.

Note: If you change the jpeg quality on-cam, you will lose your highest IQ setting and will need to redo the whole procedure using PK tether.



P.S.

If case you're wondering, no, It doesn't seem to work for changing movie quality setting. :P
"My amp goes to 11."
04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
have not forgotten to post comparisons but first try yielded only files of same size and zero difference that I could see. Assume i did not get the 4th star to stick and will start over.
Still unable to make the change stick as in, pics before and after are still exact same file size. Using lastest version, following directions, but something different here. Oh well. allways fun to play with PKteather and see how its progressed!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, change, jpeg, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, pk, quality, tether, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-01 video quality and maximum ISO CarlosK3 Video and Pentax HDSLRs 3 04-16-2013 05:45 AM
Reasons to use RAW over best quality JPEG redimp Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 87 02-09-2013 06:41 PM
K-5 Poor quality of embedded JPEG boardhead Pentax K-5 17 11-11-2010 07:32 AM
K-x vs K-m JPEG quality deadwolfbones Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 11-21-2009 08:47 PM
RAW + JPEG with JPEG on One Star quality laissezfaire Pentax DSLR Discussion 58 12-10-2008 02:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top