Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
28mm at the beach

"Hate California, it's cold and it's damp..." (by Hart & Rodgers for the 1937 musical Babes in Arms)...

Unfortunately, we had dull cold gray clouds this morning, which defeated my birding search for rosy-breasted pushovers at Torrey Pines State Beach. But there was this bird, a heron? happily fishing in the surf. It also had a retractable neck, which I thought was pretty cool. Got fairly close with my 28mm lens... it didn't seem to be afraid of people.

Next, I met an artist, Darrel McPherson of Escondido, California. Plein air with oils. Then, pictures of a huge bluff collapse; happens every spring. The rain-wet sandstone just caves in. Not a good idea to sun-bathe at the base of the cliffs!

It is much harder to take pictures on dull gray days. For color, there's 'just no there there,' as the snotty stuck-up Parisian Gertrude Stein wrote about Oakland, her childhood home. Across the bay from San Francisco, my childhood home. But on our cloudy coastal mornings, which are most of the time, it's a desaturated California landscape/seascape around here. And it's a challenge... no bikini babes, no buffed-out guys, no Pentax postcard color to be found. So I'll be back another day, but next time with a wider 16-45mm lens, and a bucket of bright red paint!

Attached Images

04-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pix, even if a gray day! That's a Great Blue Heron. There was one at the lake here that would always stare at me when I was jogging. I finally realized that with a gray t-shirt, wind pants with a stripe down the leg, and a baseball cap, in profile I look like an enormous blue heron!
04-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Funny stuff, neat photos!
At least Darrel McPherson was a colorful addition.