Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
The K-01's TAv has EV compensation with manual-focus lenses using the aperture ring. Press the+/- button to show the EV scale on the LCD screen. Use the ap ring or the thumbwheel (to adjust shutter speed) for the desired compensation. In dim light the shutter speed compensation stops at 1/125 sec, then ISO begins to increase. Press the green button to cancel the compensation and return to +/- 0.
I'm not quite following you. Because there's only one control dial on the K-01, in M mode the EV button acts as a switch between aperture and shutter on the control wheel. So as far as I can tell the 'TAv' mode is simply Manual mode when Auto-ISO is selected, which technically isn't true TAv.

Edit - I've just tried adjusting the Aperture ring on the lens away from A so it shows F-- on the screen, in which case the EV button acts as a DOF-preview button instead.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 04-25-2013 at 04:06 PM.
04-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
This is something which lead to some confusion for occasional shooters back in the eighties.

Until then it was called

Time Automatic . . . . . . =Ta (today Av)
Aperture Automatic . . .=Aa (today Tv)

So the expressions were just reversed.

To make sure, I just looked it up in old (German) Pentax manuals.
There they don't mention Aperture or Shutter priority, but name it Shutter or Aperture AUTOMATIC.
It makes logical sense, ie you select the shutter manually, so the aperture is automatic, but I can see how the naming can be un-intuitive to select any mode called Shutter-whatever when you actually want Aperture.
04-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
edit: I'm sorry, I misunderstood your 1st statement's meaning.
I originally thought your K-01 was adjusting it's shutter speed while you set the Aperture value.
My fault. It's beholden on the writer to make sure there's no misunderstanding when reading.

I just thought I'd be clever by phrasing the thread title like a confused newbie because at one point I was seriously questioning my own sanity and actually asking myself exactly that - the camera couldn't be doing it wrong, so I must be!

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 04-25-2013 at 04:27 PM.
04-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Edit - I've just tried adjusting the Aperture ring on the lens away from A so it shows F-- on the screen, in which case the EV button acts as a DOF-preview button instead.
Hmmm, I have my camera set up to use the aperture set on the lens ring. In the menu I have set
Custom 3 > 16. Using Aperture Ring > 2 Enable.
Then I've customized the green button for Tv Shift as follows:
Rec. Mode 3 > Button Customization > Green Button > Action in M/TAv Mode > Tv Shift.

Try that and see if it helps and if it's what you want; of course it's completely reversible if it's not.

04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
Hmmm, I have my camera set up to use the aperture set on the lens ring. In the menu I have set
Custom 3 > 16. Using Aperture Ring > 2 Enable.
Then I've customized the green button for Tv Shift as follows:
Rec. Mode 3 > Button Customization > Green Button > Action in M/TAv Mode > Tv Shift.

Try that and see if it helps and if it's what you want; of course it's completely reversible if it's not.
Exactly how I have mine set up already.

So I just swapped my Sigma lens for a proper Pentax one with an aperture ring and voila! what you describe works with the Pentax lens! But not with the Sigma, where the EV button just works as a DOF-prview button as I mentioned.

Okay, so to clear that up for the record: TAv on the K-01 works - with EV-compensation - with proper Pentax lenses. And with Sigma lenses it's not actual TAv but just basic Manual + Auto-ISO, even if it does indicate TAv on the screen.
04-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's your particular Sigma lens--a bad or dirty contact pin perhaps? I tried an old, beat-up Sigma UC Zoom 70-210 (not a lens I normally use on the K-01), and the +/- button brings up the EV scale just as it should.