Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Av is Aperture, right?

For some reason the dial on my K-01 in Av mode is suddenly adjusting the shutter instead. And in Tv mode it's adjusting the aperture.

Even in Manual mode the dial and the compensation buttons are similarly reversed, adjusting aperture and shutter instead of shutter and aperture.

It's like it's been re-wired by mischievous gremlins in the night. Can't think of what might have caused this, maybe swapping lenses without powering the camera off is all I can think of. So I thought I'd post here in case anybody else has encountered the same problem. I'll try and re-install the firmware and see if that fixes it.

04-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Av should definitely be aperture priority. Even in Av though, sometimes as the aperture changes, the camera will make some adjustments in shutter speeds as well, and vice versa. However, you should see a white sideways triangle beside the aperture number on the LCD when in AV mode, and beside the shutter speed in Tv mode indicating that these are the settings under your control. Hope that helps sort it out, definitely sounds odd.

Last edited by fotogaffer; 04-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
04-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't have that camera but it sounds like it is working correctly to me. Aperture priority you pick the aperture; the camera picks the shutter speed and vise versa in shutter priority.
04-25-2013, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Av = Aperture value (aka Aperture priority) where shooter sets Aperture value and ISO, and camera adjusts shutter speed to correctly expose shot.
Tv = Time value (aka shutter priority) where shooter sets Shutter speed and ISO, and camera adjusts Aperture to correctly expose shot.
TAv = Time Aperture value, where shooter sets Shutter speed and Aperture value, and camera adjusts ISO to correctly expose shot.

It sounds like your K-01 is working correctly in Av mode.

edit: I'm sorry, I misunderstood your 1st statement's meaning.
I originally thought your K-01 was adjusting it's shutter speed while you set the Aperture value.

Last edited by Moe49; 04-25-2013 at 11:48 AM.
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had firmware 1.02 so I just updated it to 1.03 and it's fixed now - Av adjusting the aperture again and Tv the shutter speed. Quick and easy fix. Must have been a corruption in the firmware code from swapping lenses live and causing a short somewhere. So if anyone else experiences the same on their K-01, not to worry - it's a simple solution.

Just to confirm that I'm not crazy or stupid, in Av mode the dial was directly adjusting the shutter speed (and as we all know auto-adjusts the aperture to compensate for proper exposure). And vice versa for Tv mode. I did in fact think I was going crazy at one point though after double checking a dozen times that the mode dial was in fact in Av and not Tv mode. But it's all good again and I'm starting to think I imagined it all now... who knows, maybe I did!
04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
TAv = Time Aperture value, where shooter sets Shutter speed and Aperture value and camera adjusts ISO to correctly expose shot.
No TAv on the K-01.
04-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad you got it fixed. Does sound strange, but glad the firmware update fixed it up for you. Happy shooting!

04-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual setting with Auto-ISO= TAv!
04-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Manual setting with Auto-ISO= TAv!
Almost. Technically, TAv has EV-compensation which Manual + Auto-ISO does not.
04-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Says TAv on my screen!
04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Don. Not before I did a complete reset first, so now I have to go back through and get all my settings to my liking again!

Edit - Thankfully, the reset only seemed to affect the date..

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 04-25-2013 at 03:55 PM.
04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Says TAv on my screen!
Does it? I never noticed. Well, it does too - you are absolutely right and I stand corrected!
04-25-2013, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Almost. Technically, TAv has EV-compensation which Manual + Auto-ISO does not.
Thanks for that. I could never understand the difference between the two, they seemed to be identical functions to me.
04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01's TAv has EV compensation with manual-focus lenses using the aperture ring. Press the+/- button to show the EV scale on the LCD screen. Use the ap ring or the thumbwheel (to adjust shutter speed) for the desired compensation. In dim light the shutter speed compensation stops at 1/125 sec, then ISO begins to increase. Press the green button to cancel the compensation and return to +/- 0.
04-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Av = Aperture value (aka Aperture priority) expose shot.
Tv = Time value (aka shutter priority)
This is something which lead to some confusion for occasional shooters back in the eighties.

Until then it was called

Time Automatic . . . . . . =Ta (today Av)
Aperture Automatic . . .=Aa (today Tv)

So the expressions were just reversed.

To make sure, I just looked it up in old (German) Pentax manuals.
There they don't mention Aperture or Shutter priority, but name it Shutter or Aperture AUTOMATIC.

This is in line with the handling of cameras before they offered a mode wheel covering ALL modes.
With the Super A/Super Program, you set the aperture to "A" to get (today's) Tv, and the mode wheel to "A" to get today's Av.

I think Pentax changed this only with the S or later series; and Canon, Nikon, Minolta, and Olympus did it the same way.

EDIT: I just remember the MZ3 / MZ5 is controlled the same way as the Super A/Super Program, so the change in naming the modes may have come even later.

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.