Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #1

K-01 and Pre-AI Nikon lenses

I heard about Nikon lenses force fitting on the K-mount, and I decided to do some personal testing with some old Nikon lenses on the brick.

MF Nikon lenses in possession:
Nikkor-S 50mm f1.4 (pre-ai)
Zoom-Nikkor-C 43-86mm f3.5 (pre-ai)
Micro-Nikkor-P 55mm f3.5 (pre-ai)
Nikon Nikkor 28mm f3.5 (ai)
Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8

After toying around and freaking out that I was going to ruin the mount, I learned the pre-AI lens fit really snugly with no worry of falling off.

BUT!! The AI lenses (and the series E) don't fit well. The AI aperture ring doesn't surround the outer part of the mount. Now, I'm too freaked out for the lens and the mount to try to squash the AI lenses on again.

The K-01 with a pre-ai Nikkor lens (taken with a camera phone ):

Test shots (50mm f1.4):

The K-01 is my first Pentax camera. I don't have any lenses except for the 40mm XS, so I'm really happy I can use my fast Nikkor f1.4 until I can round out my Pentax lens collection.

04-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AI lenses can be made to fit if you trim the AI ring with a dremel...

It does make them useless for an AI camera though. You can also use an optically corrected adapter that is essentially a short teleconverter, not really useful for a 28mm. You might be able to trade that Nikkor 28/3.5 for a Pentax M 28/3.5.

http://www.keh.com
04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Modifying is an option, but I still use a couple film Nikon cameras, so I'm a little reluctant to modifying the Nikon lenses. Unfortunately, it seems like I'll have to acquire Pentax lenses the slow and steady way (saving up for them). Until then, the 50mm will be getting a lot of use. ^^;;
04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boris, does one modify the diameter of the Nikon lens bayonet mount or decrease the width of the three lugs on the mount? I've got the Nikkor 50/1.4 and 105/2.5 and I've though about seeing if a better fit could be made for mounting them on Pentax cameras, but haven't gone any further that thinking about this. I've mounted both lenses to a Pentax K-x and they seemed secure enough without modification, but that may have been simply because I was paying close attention at the time.

04-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
Boris, does one modify the diameter of the Nikon lens bayonet mount or decrease the width of the three lugs on the mount? I've got the Nikkor 50/1.4 and 105/2.5 and I've though about seeing if a better fit could be made for mounting them on Pentax cameras, but haven't gone any further that thinking about this. I've mounted both lenses to a Pentax K-x and they seemed secure enough without modification, but that may have been simply because I was paying close attention at the time.
I've never done the mod myself. RioRico was the Dremel wielding maniac...
04-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I've read, the usual mod is just to thin and reshape the flanges. I have seen one modder who removed everything (both flanges and the ring they are on) and epoxied a flange-type M42-K adapter onto the back of the lens.
04-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wouldn't it be better, if on a tight budget, to shop for older Pentax lenses? Two I'd recommend -- Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, and Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4. All you'll miss is automatic focus, everything else works just like a new Pentax lens. Or, you look for a used Pentax DA f/4 16-45mm zoom; no longer in production. This is the lens I use most of the time, wide 24mm equiv to mild telephoto 67mm equiv. And autofocus, which helps a lot once you move off the wide-angle focal lengths. And, for less money, there are a lot of DA 18-55mm lenses up for sale now... the kit lenses that came with a lot of K-01s.

All these lenses are quite good. You can look them up on Photozone to see what aperture is sharpest... but if you go with f/5.6 or f/8 you'll be fine on most any lens. On a budget, you won't be getting any f/2.8 telephotos... but who cares? Increasing ISO up to 1600 keeps you right in the ballgame.

I have had VERY good results buying used cameras and lenses from KEH. Also from eBay... but read Ken Rockwell's excellent page on eBay shopping first -- very important! Put it like this -- with KEH I just don't worry at all. With eBay I hold my breath, and, so far, it's worked out.

04-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took a closer look at the mount of my Nikkor-S 50/1.4 and noticed that there was a small pin (actually a tiny screw) protruding from the inner diameter of the mount. I'd guess the pin or screw acts as a stop of sorts when mounting the lens on the Nikon camera body. This pin is located on the opposite side of the lens from the aperture tab. In any event, I removed the pin/screw and the lens seems to fit the K-01 easier than when it was in place. The lens still only rotates a small distance, so if one decides to mount one of these lenses on a Pentax, they should exercise caution. Should the need arise in the future, I can replace the screw/pin and return the lens to it's original configuration.

I took a couple of shots outside with the Nikkor mounted, but it seems I need more practice in manual focusing in bright sunshine.
04-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Banned

Yes it works I owned an old pre-ai lens and used it on my K-7.
04-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey if you have those pre lenses lying around that's awesome! :P

I must say, there is something naughty and perverted that finds me excites when I see a pentax and nikon logo side by side :P
04-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
AI lenses can be made to fit if you trim the AI ring with a dremel
And pentax photographers get in a tizzy if people cut the aperture lever off K mount lenses...
04-27-2013, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And pentax photographers get in a tizzy if people cut the aperture lever off K mount lenses...
There are a lot more Nikon lenses than there are Pentax lenses, and more Pentax DSLRs that can use old lenses than Nikons that can do the same...
04-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Hey if you have those pre lenses lying around that's awesome! :P

I must say, there is something naughty and perverted that finds me excites when I see a pentax and nikon logo side by side :P
Yeah, I already had them, so it's quite a nice "side feature."

hehe, I must admit that after I put the nikon lens on, I thought, "Well, that looks nice." ^^;;
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yhyhyhkt Quote
Yeah, I already had them, so it's quite a nice "side feature."

hehe, I must admit that after I put the nikon lens on, I thought, "Well, that looks nice." ^^;;
For all the abuse hurled at the K-01's looks, it does work well with vintage glass.

All this discussion of mutilating lenses, and none of us ever mentioned your leather half-case! Homemade?
04-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
For all the abuse hurled at the K-01's looks, it does work well with vintage glass.

All this discussion of mutilating lenses, and none of us ever mentioned your leather half-case! Homemade?
yeah, since the k-01 is futuristic retro(?), I've noticed it looks quite nice with vintage lenses.

and yes, it's a homemade case!