Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Another newbie question about flash on the K-01

Hello good day,

I had just started learning photography and decided to take the K-01 as my first buddy. I read somewhere in this forum that the k-01 does not have internal wireless flash triggering. I am aiming on a YongNuo 560III that have internal wireless capabilities. There are things that i still don't understand;

1. Someone told me that I can put the flash on slave mode and use my built-in flash to act as a trigger. Can I? on K-01?

2. On the other thread, they use Transmitters and Receivers. Should I?

3. What is the advantage of using the former than the latter?

Thank you very much! Your answer would be of great help!

04-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

1. You can. On any camera that has a flash.

2. Not obligatory, but useful.

3. The "slave" mode on the flash detects another flash (K-01's built in for ex.), but it needs to "see" the master flash. Radio triggers work on much longer distances and also around corners, but need extra units (of course) and are an extra cost/bulk.
04-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to read this thread about the K-01 and external flash:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/219174-problem-external-flash.html
04-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

I don't have the YongNuo 560III flash, so I'm not really sure how it will work on the K-01.

What is clear though is that the K-01's built-in flash operates differently depending on what type of lens you have mounted. With a Pentax M lens mounted, the on-board flash operates in "auto" mode, meaning the flash fires once when you trip the shutter. With a DA lens mounted (and other lenses -- see manual), the on-board flash operates in P-TTL mode, meaning you get two flashes; the first so the camera can set exposure before the shutter opens and the second while the shutter is open. These two flashes occur in rapid succession so as to appear as a single flash to the naked eye.

So what I'm thinking is that you need to know if the YongNuo 560III when in slave mode requires one or two flashes to fire.

As mentioned in that other thread, my Rokinon D980AFZ-PK when set to P-TTL, strobs when mounted to the K-01. The flash works fine when it is set to manual mode. The flash works fine in both P-TTL or manual modes when mounted to a Kx or K20D. The Rokinon has a slave mode that only works properly with the K-01 when a Pentax M or equivalent lens is mounted. With a Pentax DA lens mounted, the Rokinon fires, but not in sync with the shutter. With the DA lens mounted, the Rokinon is firing with the first or pre-flash from the on-board flash before the shutter is open.

I also have a cheap Changyin CY-20 that works with the camera set to manual exposure mode regardless of the lens mounted on the camera.

I have another cheap flash, a Vivitar VIV-SF-3000 that has a slave mode. It has a slide switch that you can set so the flash will fire on the first, second, third or forth flash it's sensor receives. So this flash can be used as a slave regardless of which lens is on the K-01 as long as you set the switch accordingly.