Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How did you end up with a K-01?
This is my first Pentax camera 2815.14%
This is my first digital Pentax camera 3820.54%
This is not my first Pentax camera 11763.24%
This is my first mirrorless camera 11160.00%
This is not my first mirrorless camera 5228.11%
This is my first interchangeable lens camera 115.95%
This is not my first interchangeable lens camera 11260.54%
Other (add comment) 3619.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Interesting to note that about 1/4-1/3 of K-01 owners are new Pentaxicans. I wonder how that compares to K-30, K-5, Q, etc...

04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #32
Inactive Account

I was looking for a backup body for my K110D. The price was right. I find that the lack of optical viewfinder to be liberating.
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I needed to do a tech refresh from the *ist DS and got one of these during the recent downward price slide.
04-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Other - I wanted it!

04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
Site Supporter

When it was introduced I liked the idea of its compatibility with K mount lenses but the original price put it out of the ballpark for me so I didn't really think much of it for some time. Not that long ago I was greatly surprised by the drastic price cuts to the K01 and the Q which I actually got first during those clearance sales. Price was no longer an issue so I got one and liked it so much that I recently got another and after using it I think it would have been a great camera at an even higher price point. Regarding the aesthetic of the camera I really didn't care about that when it came out my interest was directed more at the technical aspects of the K01 but now that I have it I still don't have any issues with the design element, on the contrary I like that it has a different look and when out in public it seems to get a fair amount of positive interest.
04-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I could pass on the price! My partner will be using it. But, I will be stealing it for sure. Amazing photos and I do like the design.
04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I wanted a backup for my K5, and when the price dropped to the current ridiculously low price I snapped one up from SRS here in the UK, the K-01 has since become my go-to camera especially for any studio work on a tripod.

For macro the mirrorless system with focus peaking and a set of bellows has real advantages. It's the workhorse my 'cheap' kit revolves around, not that you would think it was so cheap from the image quality.

Chris
04-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
I'm one of the original K-01 users. I paid full price for it in February 2012, and I don't regret a cent of it. I've used Pentax cameras since the 60s and a K200D since 2009, and I like to shoot with legacy manual lenses. But with the small view through the K200D and my aging eyesight, I had trouble focusing accurately. When I read about the K-01's image quality and focus peaking, I figured it had to be easier to focus, and except for a few occasions with manual-focus lenses at certain angles in bright sunlight, it has been. It works for me!
Thank you - you wrote my entire Reply for me - precisely and completely.

04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #39

I love my big yellow pentax....

...and I think the biggest reason is that I can use my K and PK lenses from my Pentax film years. I've had a lot of pint and shot cameras with nice optical lenses and zooms but I stuck with film a lot longer than most probably for two reason, having to buy all new lenses. Talking about having to buy all new stuff have any of you tried using a hot shoe to hot shoe voltage reducer to safely use film camera flashes with a digital camera. I've been useing one for a short while with no problems but I'd like to hear other experiances- Thanks Thomas
04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't add comment to the poll, so here it is...

Bought it because of the great sale price.

Have an Olympus XZ-1... wanted to also work with APS-C, for better image quality in poor light. The K-01 on sale sure made that possible!
04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #41
phs
Site Supporter

8 Lenses

I have a Super A, K-1000, PZ-1p, 7 lenses, a teleconverter, and a dedicated flash. I wanted an *ist D, but it was too overpriced locally. I ended up with a Canon gear. I never lost my love for Pentax, but the Pentax DSLRs were way overpriced locally, so I held out. Then the price of the K-01 dropped, even locally. So I gave my Canon gear to my son, and have resumed my love affair with Pentax.
05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #42
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It was cheap! I got it for $300 I think. With the same sensor as my K-5, it was a no-brainer as a backup once they dropped the price...
As above!
05-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Have an Olympus XZ-1... wanted to also work with APS-C, for better image quality in poor light. The K-01 on sale sure made that possible!
I'm in exact same boat. Plus, I find the XZ-1 interface a bit cumbersome to use. The K-01 is physically much bigger, but when I'm shooting it gets out of the way.
05-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #44

After decades of OMs and Minoltas, in 2006 I went digital and within a few years ended up with a K20, a Kx, and a few K mount lenses. I wanted a compact camera to supplement these, something easy to carry about, esp on a motorcycle. I felt the lack of OVF wouldn't be an issue and it isn't. In fact using the screen to frame and focus is a great advantage for macro work, or those self timer shots with camera balanced on a log.

I love the ergonomics and solid build; I love the looks of it. I like the way you can use it without creating a fuss, eg inside a shop or the like.

I bought my first one (black) with 40/2.8 XS in April 2012 for full price, prob the 1st in Canberra, Aust. I've since acquired several more lenses and two more K01s (one yellow at full price; then because it was just $300, another black one— I couldn't get white). I'm now permanently wedded to Pentax. Even if Pentax disappears as a manufacturer of consumer/prosumer DSLR or system cameras (a sad possibility?) I now have enough gear for rest of life (well I am 70).

I've now taken 000s of K01 frames. I love the IQ, the availability of lenses, focus peaking (but have the red button set to turn it on/off), and the low light performance. I also like the post capture filters— I use them lots and wonder how many others do? I especially like (on appropriate images) B/W_I/R, erxtract colour, hi contrast, tone expansion, water colour, pastel, and posterisation. I guess you can do all this in photoshop, but I don't own PS, and enjoy manipulating images in_camera when I'm out and away from home.
05-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I wanted a cheap beater and a dedicated body for a few M42 lenses. When the price for K01 dropped to $299 the choice was obvious.