Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How did you end up with a K-01?
This is my first Pentax camera 2815.14%
This is my first digital Pentax camera 3820.54%
This is not my first Pentax camera 11763.24%
This is my first mirrorless camera 11160.00%
This is not my first mirrorless camera 5228.11%
This is my first interchangeable lens camera 115.95%
This is not my first interchangeable lens camera 11260.54%
Other (add comment) 3619.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #46

I had owned a Panasonic Superzoom for many years. I was about to pull the trigger on the latest/greatest Panasonic Superzoom, when I saw the K01 was about the same price, with two lenses and had much superior image quality. No regrets whatsoever.

05-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
I was looking for a body for my m42 lenses and when the price dropped as low as it did I couldn't resist and order s white one. The fact that I had to put on my readingglasses to see the screen was a bit of a downer. Buying a Carryspeed vf3 lcd viewfinder solved that little problem. The camera is not exactly compact anymore but for me its close to perfect.
05-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought it would be more totable than my K-5 with similar IQ, plus I was eager to try focus peaking with my 600mm. I bought one at $349 which I thought was a crazy bargain, then my wife bought one for $419 (with the 40mm). I missed out on the absolute bottom price, but I'm more than happy with the camera.
05-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #49

I wanted to take the DSLR video route and was shopping around comparing technical specs of the brick vs Canon 550D, 60D, and 7D and by comparison of DxO Mark Scores (which the K01 beat all three at) and other specs, the K01 made more sense. And since the price dropped significantly, I was able to get 2 units for the price of a 550D... Another one is coming...

05-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Although I had no interest in the camera per se, I bought one when the price dropped to $300 so that I could try the sensor and software improvements (I have a K10D). Every time I pick it up. I automatically bring it up to my eye (50 years of using some type of viewfinder). My intention is to use it like a view camera, on a tripod, for macro and landscape work.
05-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #51

cheaper camera for travel

I already have a Olympus OMD E-M5+ hld6 grip with holy trinity panaleica 25mm f1.4+45mm f1.8+12mm f.2, so i was looking for a cheap high image quality camera to take on vacations, since i have lot of cash invested on the Olympus, and sometimes i make Money with it, i cant risk to take the expensive investment during travel.

The option on the K-01 was mainly because of its design, and after Reading the reviews about its image quality and solid build, and the recent prize fall, i bought it.
The fact that the K-01 lacks a VF dont bother me, my first Olympus was a EP-1....and the rubber flap door dont bother me either, i can close it without any fiddling.
The first time i used the K-01 was on a low light situation, almost all my shots were terrible, i used to the super fast AF of the OMD.

I find the 40mm f2.8 DA Xs lens rather soft, but i am spoiled by the holy trinity of the OMD, those lenses are super fast and Sharp with open!

Recently i bought a NOS mf vivitar 24mm f2.8 to achieve 35mm focal distance, the lens is Sharp from F5.6 to F11, but even with focus peaking, i find it hard to focus on infinity...
05-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #52

I had a camera I was having trouble selling and someone offered a trade of a K-01 and cash. I knew I could sell the K-01 easier, but made the mistake of taking a few shots with it.....now I may keep it. See how hard it is to reduce total # of cameras!

05-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by doutorphil Quote
I find the 40mm f2.8 DA Xs lens rather soft,
wait wait wait what? Really? I don't know what kind of lenses you normally use, but I find the DA 40mm XS to be one of the sharpest lenses I have.
05-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #54
Pentaxian

My original reason for getting a K-01
was to be able to frame a series of shots
with M42 lenses stopped down.

DSLR live-view doesn't really work for that,
and the Sony NEXes seemed like they were too small
to handle a big lens gracefully.
05-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't know what kind of lenses you normally use, but I find the DA 40mm XS to be one of the sharpest lenses I have.
My initial reaction was the same.

However, comparing 50-60mm FF "equivalents"
in the center of the frame at f/2.8 on 16MP,
Photozone does rate the DA 40 Ltd at 2400 lw/ph,
while the Panasonic-Leica 25/1.4 reaches around 3000.

The Pentax pancakes are more uniform across the frame.
05-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #56

I could not afford to buy the Fuji X E1 and kept on looking for a high quality camera.
And so I started fishing on the "low end" and as I already have the fabulous pentax Q that makes me happy every time I shoot pictures, I found the K 01.
I like the high ISO performance of Pentax cameras, they do it so much better in their price range as all the rest.
I played with some settings in the K 01 to match the great b/w performance of the Q and now I get all the technical advantage of the K 01 and the same impression of b/w right out of the camera with it plus better lenses :-)
I bought a manual walimex 85m 1.4, it is a great addition and I will buy the manual walimex 14mm 2.8 as well...
Yeah, and I too miss an optical viewfinder, I guess I have to live with that, but I really like the focus peaking, it takes some practice, a bit more practice than with the Q but that is ok.
Again, Pentax did a great job and ok, sad for them, good for me, they are not as successful with their cameras as they should be and so I had the chance to buy it at a very low price in Germany.
I really would like to make a direct competition between the K 01 and the Fuji.. I expect no winner in this, both are great, one is cheaper :-)
regards
Oliver
05-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Only JUST got it!- pretty much the same as others-
It was cheap (cost less than my Q!), I'll will be losing my Kx and Q soon aswell as I won't be able to afford a new camera for some time. It is the PERFECT partner for my K7- better ISO/dynamic range/focus peaking/video/small size.
Where the K7 still has ergonomics/WR and OVF on its side.
Both share batteries and charger which is a huge plus.
The K-01 makes for a great walkaround setup aswell.
05-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I got it as a companion/replacement to my K20D. Will be replacing the K20 with the new APS-C, whenever it releases. For now, I don't know which I'll be using more. Possibly the K-01 because of the new sensor but I do miss the OVF and ergonomics of a real DSLR. Plus focusing is really faster on my K20. But when the K-01 focuses it is pretty damn accurate.
06-06-2013, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #59

I am heavily invested in Canon glass for my professional needs, but wanted something "different" to just play around with for creative exploration.

I recently picked up the white K-01 with the 35mm f/2.8 macro limited, and LOVE it.

Oh, and the Canon & Nikon forums are boring me- all they do is complain and shoot the back of their lens caps/ brick walls/ test charts....
06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #60

New to Pentax!

I have taken a long road to come into the Pentax camp. My first "serious" camera was a Canon Rebel 35mm film kit bought for me by my father in the late 1980s. The first thing I did was to buy a 50mm f 1.8 fixed lens (when did prime become fashionable?) for it. I have had posters made with pics taken with that combo, it was cheap but very good!

A few years ago I bought a Leica V-Lux 1 (pretty much a Panasonic twin) and while pretty miserable at anything iso 400 and above, it was stellar during daylight shooting, the lens was stunning! While I owned the V-Lux 1 my girlfriend had a Pentax K-20D with a nice complement of lenses and I was impressed with many of her photos!

We both sold our cameras and I have since bought a Leica D-Lux 6 "point and shoot" camera. While it is a small sensor camera it has some absolutely outstanding glass! The clarity, color and brightness are truly mind blowing!!!

I purchased the Pentax K-01 18-55/50-200 kit from Amazon due to its low price and the reputation of the camera body/sensor. My initial impressions are that the kit lenses are very mediocre. I was not surprised by this, as when I bought the Leica from my local store, he suggested that the Leica would be better than a DSLR, etc with a kit lens. He was absolutely correct! I have updated the Pentax K-01 firmware to 1.03 and it helped the focus speed but the lenses are still really no better than OK. The center/edge sharpness and color rendition are not comparable, the D-Lux 6 wins hands down!

Now I want to complement the Pentax K-01, it is a very nicely made camera and it fits my big hands very well. As I have said the fit lenses do not do it justice one bit! I love the way it looks, I just need lenses to realize its potential.

I currently cannot download any pics without serious downsizing. You cannot judge a book by it's cover nor size. A big sensor with a mediocre lens is not as good as a small sensor cam with an outstanding lens! The Leica focuses nearly instantly in dark conditions and need no flash (at f 1.4), it is also fast and silent. My brother has a Canon T3i and the Leica beats that as well.

I really like the Pentax K-01 and I am willing to invest into high quality lenses to get the best out of it! The Kit lenses are not great, but they are decent, some good fixed lenses will make this kick some serious butt!!! The problem with a camera such as this is that cameras such as the Panasonic LX-7/Leica D-LUX 6, are really fantastic, even in Auto mode! They prove that, unless you are really serious, that a high end compact camera can take care of your photographic needs.

I fully understand that the K-01 has greater far greater capabilities than the Pan/Leica, but it is a lot of money and work! This is the reason that many of us got the Pentax so cheap!!!

I love the overall feel of the K-01, it is solid, pretty quick, fun to carry and use! If you want a light, fast camera to carry on a trip I would grab a Panasonic LX-7 when it goes on sale! Solid, fast, and a great lens!!! Pentax needs to pick up their game, big time!!!