Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How did you end up with a K-01?
This is my first Pentax camera 2815.14%
This is my first digital Pentax camera 3820.54%
This is not my first Pentax camera 11763.24%
This is my first mirrorless camera 11160.00%
This is not my first mirrorless camera 5228.11%
This is my first interchangeable lens camera 115.95%
This is not my first interchangeable lens camera 11260.54%
Other (add comment) 3619.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #76

I recently bought a new Lumix LX7 and then got a Fuji x100s and fell in love with it. The Lumix wasn't being used at all, as the smaller sensor just wasn't doing it for me. I listed it on CL and was offered the K-01 in trade with the 40mm 2.8 XS. It happened to be the blue and white one which I thought just looked fun. Figured why not give it a try as the IQ was pretty nice and it seemed to a fair deal. Now I have my Smurf Brick and have been keeping it on me all week long to get used to it.

02-14-2015, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #77

Well I bought one when they first came out and liked the design a lot. But after reading all the reviews and the sarcasm on Youtube, I decided to give it to a friend and buy a K-30 for it's view finder. After I gave it him, It took me a year to figure out that I just gave away a very important camera. So I hunted down a replacement on Ebay and I've been happy ever since.
02-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is funny how the yellow brick grew on me.
04-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the K-01 was great concept when it came out. I was looking for an upgrade from my K10D and this caught my eye. By the time I was ready to buy a camera it was already discontinued. I ended up with a K3 as an upgrade from my k10D but felt there was still room for a K-01. I live in an urban area and take frequent walks through our downtown area. The K3 is awesome but it is also awesomely heavy. Again the K-01 can back to my thoughts.I started looking for used ones but I never found something I could afford. Then one came up for sale here in the Marketplace. I decided it was no or never, I feel more comfortable buying items here. My camera came essentially brand new and for less than $200. I have been extremely happy with my yellow brick. It is easy to carry around is a great match to DA 35 2.4 and to the DA 18-135.

04-18-2015, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter

I had to take a chance on the K-01 when it was discounted to $360 with the DA 40mm f2.8 XS lens. I know the camera was trashed in most reviews, but I ended up loving it. The 16MP sensor is superb and I have a lot of fun using my 21mm and 70mm Limiteds with the K-01. I'm also pleased with the image quality from the 40mm XS lens. The interface is clean and intuitive and I've grown to like the odd, boxy styling. My only complaint is the depth of the body to accommodate K-mount lenses.
05-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #81
Pentaxian

I got it at the $250 fire sale price. Impressed with reviews that said image quality was as good as the k-5. At the time my only other camera was a k20d. So, for the price, I could not go wrong.

Oddly, i wound up purchasing a k5ii somewhat later, but rarely ever use it. The k-01 with the xs40mm pancake is my grab and go. it was cheap enough that I do not worry about damaging it...whereas I save my k5ii for when i "go out shooting" which is getting few and far between these days.
07-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #82
Pentaxian

I went with the k-01 (used) because it had a mix of what I wanted:

1. Good image quality
2. Good build quality
3. Acceptable video
4. Extremely low price
5. Smaller size
6. My dad has a K-r so we could swap lenses between each other.

I was doobious because I honestly didn't like the way it looked online, but in person the camera actually looked a billion times better.
The focus peaking this badboy was also something I learned to love due to my affinity for legacy glass (and their bang for buck ).

For my first interchangeable lens camera, and first Pentax camera in general I don't think I made a bad choice. I love my yellow brick and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

Also fun fact, I only learned about this camera because of DRTV. As much as some of you like to hate them, they've at least created some pentaxians haha.

07-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also bought it when it was dirt cheap. It's slow CD AF never made it a winner for me except in one department--macro. It sits permanently on a tripod with one of the DFA macro lenses mounted, where its excellent focus peaking finder and its lack of mirror vibration are put to good use.
07-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #84
Veteran Member

I wanted a cheap K-Mount camera after having a K-7 previously and a Sigma SD-15 in between. The K-01 was quite a bit cheaper than the K-5 at the time (second hand: £130 vs £300). Its my first and only mirror-less camera, used up until this month when I upgraded to a K-3II.

The K-01 is excellent with K/M lenses with the Focus Peaking, a feature that was not available on the K-5 range.